Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like we need some more activity on the Northwest section!

Hey just chiming in from Ellensburg, I got a 07 XP in Mossyoak. Use it mostly hauling stuff around our little ranch out here in the sticks.

Everyone getting plenty of snow this year????

Well have a good one.....Kris

·
Registered
507 Posts
Yuck :p. You can keep the snow. The older I get, the more I hate snow. It has been cold here, but at least you don't have to shovel the cold.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Heres a few pics from a weekend in Ione,WA in Oct..

"http://w212.photobucket.com/pbwidget.swf?pbwurl=http://w212.photobucket.com/albums/cc155/Codeblue911/2e79fb08.pbw"

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hey Kris, nice deer ya baged there. On that snow picture, is that a snow blower mounted on your Ranger? If it is, I'm sure interested in a rig like that, could ya give me some info on it?

Larry G.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Larry said:
Hey Kris, nice deer ya baged there. On that snow picture, is that a snow blower mounted on your Ranger? If it is, I'm sure interested in a rig like that, could ya give me some info on it?

Larry G.
I opened his Picture up and it looks like a small to med red/orange tractor. Sort of like a cub from days gone by, or a Farmall

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya the snowblower is attached to my Kubota L3400, sorry to mislead. It was more of a snow statement than a Ranger statement. :uglystupid2: :idiot2: Hope to get back to these replys shortly....works kicking butt and I don't have much time........soon, but later....Kris

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Thats the nice part about being here Kris, you can stop in any time you have time and always have some friends to shoot the breeze with.

Looks like I could have a blast cutting some trails throught those hills!

Welcome and stop in any time.

Gary

·
Registered
563 Posts
Hf Hunting Club, I can put a deer like that in the back of my RZR with no problem at all. I still would have room for condiments. See photo, also, if you take the seat out you can haul his dad at the same time. And still get back to camp before the coffee gets cold. Two people can load both halves of an elk, but one of you would have to walk. I leave all vehicles at camp when I hunt. While one person is field dressing the game, the other person is going back to get the RZR, so there is no problem with leaving the seat at camp. Often we have to drag the animal a ways to get it to an accessable spot. It is steep where we hunt, so dragging is more like catching up with the game than anything. Kind of like playing mountain pinball with the trees, with the animal being the pinball. There is usually snow on the ground when we hunt, so dragging is real easy. I have dragged a whole elk out by myself, twice, but the elk has to be really co-operative!, I said it was steep ground. I put tire chains on all four tires. By round a bout way we can get up to within a quarter mile on most animals. I have 2000 feet of rope and 8 pulleys, so I can winch an animal from about anywhere unless he is on the other side of the next mountain. Been there, done that. That is what they made back packs for isn't it? Where I hunt, any wider machine would not be able to get in. I have seen many four wheelers in this area, but in forty-five years, I have never seen a ranger, jeep, or volkswagen. It is just too narrow. Every year trees fall and are cut out of the way, sometimes I have to widen the trail for the RZR. Not much though. If I can get the RZR in, I will get the animal out.

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
452 Posts
ELK_HUN10,thats the one thing i dont like about my ranger is that it takes a wide trail for it to go down but everything else is perfect.I use mine for huntin on the farm and when i got it we had to go and make all the trails wider cause they were only big enough for atv's.I like the rzr and i'm trying to buy one if i can sell my atv but i got to keep my ranger.What kind of rig is that on the back of ur rzr?

Heath

·
Registered
563 Posts
Heath, On the back of the RZR is a 20 in. by 4 ft hitch cariier. Just be sure to use some racheting tie downs between the back of the cariier and the bottom of the cage. This will stabilize the carrier and transfer some of the weight forward. Just don't exceed 150 lbs of weight for the carrier and contents. You can put 300 lbs of weight on storage space in the back of the Rzr. I just load the stuff on top of the L&R box and the spare fuel cans. I use a pickup cargo net to hold everything in. I bought the carrier from Cabelas. It mounts on a 2 in. receiver hitch, so you have to buy an adapter for the 1 1/4 in. receiver. This setup can carry a lot of heavy, bulky items.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I have hauled a spike camp in with this setup, and I did not notice any handling changes. I just slowed down and used 1st gear when going down a steep hill or over some whoops. Camp consisted of a tent, sheep herders stove and pipe, two cots with 1 inch mattresses, light, stove, 2 sleeping bags. Water and food plus extra gas plus misc. clothes and hunting gear. When hauling game, I just slowed down, I never did notice any lightness on the front, but I did not do any exteme hill climbing either. It is obvious with an extra 300 to 450 pounds, handling will change, but not at slow speeds. Under no circumstances would I try to side hill with the extra weight on. The Rzr does not feel extremely stable when side hilling with out a load. I always make sure there is a tree below me if I have to side hill or I won't do it. A long time ago I used to run a rubber tired skidder while logging. I got all the tip overs and rolls I want for the rest of my life. The RZR is a good machine, but I won't push it untill I tip it over. Some learning curves are not needed!

·
Registered
452 Posts
i agree with u on that and thanks for the info.me and a couple of my buddies r going to colorado elk huntin in 2011 and just was wanting some ideas on what to do.we're bringing a ranger and a rzr so anything i need to no would help.

Heath

·
Registered
563 Posts
Heath, whether you are going bow hunting, rifle hunting, or muzzle loader hunting makes a difference. A Guy I hunt with sometimes hunts in Colorado also, He said there is a lot of deer and elk there, but the woods is full of hunters. I guess you have to wear hunter orange there and he said he seen hunters everywhere. He got an animal down during a storm while most of the hunters stayed in camp. I guess it is a good place to hunt. The advertisement speaks highly of it anyway.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Yah we're going to give it a try.The guys im going with says they hardly ever see any other hunters and they've been going up there for about 12 years now.Going to go up there and give it a try and then maybe try going somewhere else.I've always wanted to kill a big bull someday.Never been so im really excited about the trip.Got any hot spots u would like to share with me?

Heath

·
Registered
563 Posts
A question people often ask me in September, October, and November each year is “Did you get your elk yet? This translates to mean “we got ours” I always enjoy hearing their story, especially when a first timer gets their elk. I don”t claim to be anything but to be just an ordinary elk hunter. When I was younger and full of energy, I got seven elk and seven deer in seven years with a muzzle loader. Now, I get a deer every year and see many elk while hunting. If the elk are on the next mountain over, we just wave at each other. At least once or twice they will come over and say hi. Weather is the most important factor now. If there is snow on the ground, we will get an elk. If there is no snow we just see elk way over there. Hot spots are determined more by weather than any other factor. After the first day of the season, the elk will move away from the roads and trails. Most hot spots are where people began thinking “nobody in their right mind would go there” If you are hunting in snow and you can see where people are beginning to turn around to go back to camp, keep going. After the last person has turned around, you will start seeing elk. Usually within a few hundred yards. The most important piece of equipment is a good pair of binoculars. It is easier to get an animal if you see it before it sees you. Whether you are bow hunting, rifle hunting or muzzle loader hunting, Elk will go where it is coolest. That may be an elk wallow in September, or above the snow line the rest of the season. They have really thick hair on their hide and that has to be real warm. The main exception to coolest spot is when the temperature gets to be around zero degrees. Then the elk will be on the open south facing hill sides sunning them selves. Well, I hope some of this helps. Your going with people that has hunted the same area for years is certainly an advantage. Sound like a great trip you are planning. One last thing, a lot of people say "It is no use to be out hunting unless it is light enough to shoot" These are just "luck" hunters. You want to be where the elk are when it gets light enough to shoot.

·
Registered
452 Posts
thanks for all the information i will put it too use when we go.keep me posted on how ur season goes this year.good luck and thanks again.

Heath

1 - 20 of 26 Posts