Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks. I am new the forum and need some help. I bought a 2006 500 carb ranger. It all of the sudden stopped running while my father in law was driving it. It ran fine before. It cranks over fine, has compression, has spark. I pulled off the fuel line to carb and turned it over and plenty of fuel supply. I tried using starting fluid to try and bypass carb and got nothing. Tried to spray starting fluid in cylinder and put plug back in. Still nothing. I have replaced the ignition switch. What could keep this thing from starting? I cant help but think it is something electric but they are so simple I can't figure out what my problem is. Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
2,232 Posts
I would check the compression first to make sure it is within specification since that is easy.
It looks like you have checked the basics pretty well.
Sometimes the 500's will shear the woodruff key in the flywheel and get out of time if it kicks back when you try to start it or it sputters at low speed so if everyting else fails you cluld check that..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At the moment it won't even cough or sputter. I did a comp test and it was at 30#. I put some oil in the top and it went up to 60#. Everything I have found says low end of compression is 60. I would have thought it would have at least attempted to fire with 30.

·
Super Moderator
2,232 Posts
No, probably not.
You are the second thread this week with this problem.
The other OP's piston was scored really bad.
I hope you have better luck than he did.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts