Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sure would be nice to hear what riding is like in these states. I know here in NY it is very hard to even find a place while PA has some areas it is allowed and also some pay as you go parks.
Never heard much from any NJ, VT, NH Conn, Mass or ME riders.

Here where I am they do a couple of planned rides that get a bit costly but are for charity. Land owners allow access for these rides and these rides only. Seems like everyone is fearfull of law suits and NY has vast state forest preserves all over the place and all off limits to ATVs.

It has often been said that 95% of our states population only ever get to see about 3% of the land our tax dollars bought and protect. Between the Catskill Park and the Adirondak Park there is millions of acres but you need to be in tip top physical condition to hike in to any of it. WTF!

I have never seen or heard of such rediculous restrictions as we have here and the ATV industry does absolutely nothing to promote opening some of these lands.

NY requires every ATV/SxS to be registered and insured yet there is no place in this state where you can legally ride your machine except on public lakes when the ice is safe. It is almost as if all wheeled off road vehicles have some sort of Pox associated with them.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
GRAZOR said:
It is almost as if all wheeled off road vehicles have some sort of Pox associated with them.
Have you and others contacted the states congressman/mayor on this. Lately we have been getting grants to open off road parks. Actually did you know your taxes go towards parks and recreation and there is money set aside for this. If it is not asked for then they spend it on other things. Check it out.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
caglezxj said:
GRAZOR said:
It is almost as if all wheeled off road vehicles have some sort of Pox associated with them.
Have you and others contacted the states congressman/mayor on this. Lately we have been getting grants to open off road parks. Actually did you know your taxes go towards parks and recreation and there is money set aside for this. If it is not asked for then they spend it on other things. Check it out.
:2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

This state spends any and all monies placed aside keeping our elected officials in the lap of luxury and trying to get our Transplanted Senator from Arkansas elected to the white house AGAIN! :uglystupid2:

Most folks here bail as soon as they hit retirement because they spent their lives electing officials who make this state impossible to stay in once you are on a fixed income. 65% of all NY state pension checks are mailed to other states! You won't see or get much change up here no matter who you talk to. It's a nice place to visit, I guess, but not a great place to live.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am from Upstate N.Y. on the Canadian border and have been riding atv's for the last 7 years. Most of
my riding has been in Canada because of no place to ride here. We have had meeting with the DEC and other
Government agencies to noavail. I sold my atv's and bought an 08 Polaris XP. At least I can ride with a
slow moving sign on the back and get some riding on the road ( not what I want to do because I rather ride
trails)

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What I have found in NY is you have to belong to one of the local clubs and ride with them.

I am not saying just to get with a bunch of guys who ride and go but rather to get into a club that rides where they have the permission to do so.

I wouldn't stop anyone from riding around where I live but if they get busted it gets expensive quick!
The clubs would probably have allowable trails to ride on where you won't have problems.

gary

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello all .....i am from upstae ny .... ( finger lakes region ) and also looking for places to ride . I have owned snowmobiles & always had placed we can ride those. But when it comes to 4 wheelers , we don't have alot of places to go . Would love to get a club going around here & see if we can change that. Will be working on that this summer . Why is it snowmobilers get to ride in more places ...???? color]

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome Polarisfan1, Where in the finger lakes are you. I lived near Mt. Morris for a few years back in the mid '90s.

As for your question, "Why can snowmobiles go and ATVs can't". The state will tell you that snowmobiles cause no damage because they ride above the frozen ground and their tracks melt!

That argument we can't win! There still is no good reason why some state owned lands can't be open to ATVs except that the officials we continually elect refuse to hear our cries and are for the most part dead set against them.

The major expense for the hunting club I belong to is the insurance policy that protects the land owners. We are fully covered for now but the very first time someone gets hurt and sues either the club or a land owner then we too will be looking for a new place to ride. The insurance company has made it very clear they will not renew our policy if we have a claim resulting from an ATV accident.

I guess we all should look at this from a rather simple perspective. If I'm out riding on my ATV and hurt myself, who is at fault or to ask it differently, why should a land owner or his insurance company get sued because I did something that caused my injury?

A near by club just lost their insurance because a member flipped his machine going up too steep of a side hill. He broke his collar bone and wrist and tried to sue saying the trail should have been in better shape or marked as "Difficult" so that less proficient riders would not attempt it.

Another similar incident happened at a Jeep Ralley when a winch cable broke and the cable hit a bystander and left a nasty scar on her leg.

This entire mentality of sueing anyone and everyone is what causes these problems and I would be in complete agreement to a law that says "Any person who operates any off road vehicle does so at their own risk and has no right to sue"! Additionally, this should extend to any persons who are bystanders at such events or passengers in any off road vehicles.

At some point we all have to accept the responsibility for the things we do and our enjoyment should not be a get rich quick deal that 16 lawyers go to the bank with. :tickedoff:

Gary

·
Registered
563 Posts
Shucks. And I thought it was bad here. We have thousands of miles of trails and no time to ride all of them! 8)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Come to West Virginia, we have tons of areas to ride. The Hatfield and McCoy’s trails system is well known and established and there miles to ride otherwise.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I live in central Maine and own an 09 Ranger 700 XP. We have many open dirt roads in the northern part of the state that allow ATVs. I also belong to the local snowmobile club. The problem with using their trails is that most of them pass over private land. The snowmobile club works with the land owners to develop and maintain the trail systems, but ATV owners here have no clubs and some of them do cause damage to the land. No farmer likes to find that an ATV has been doing donuts in his prime pasture land. Irresponsible ATV riders have caused us to lose several good snowmobile trails by spoiling our relationships with the land owners.

In the north, many dirt roads pass through pulp timber land and are owned and maintained by paper companies. In most cases they don't mind ATVs, but you have to be on the lookout for oversized logging trucks travelling 60 MPH or more. It's their road so you have to get out of the way.

In winter, like now, we use ATVs for ice fishing. I live on a lake with crappie, trout, pickerel and bass. It's great to be able to ride out on the ice with all your gear and fish for the day.

We also use ATVs for hunting. There are many roads, again up north, that are open to upland bird hunting in October and November. We pack our dogs and shotguns in the Ranger and ride for miles looking for good hunting areas. Of course, in November we hunt deer and bear, and earlier in the fall there is moose hunting by lottery. These machines are perfect for that, too.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Welcome cwo4beal.

Interesting handle you have as I know a very favorite place, Beal's Lobster Pier in SW Harbor.

I have spent many fine vacations up near Rockwood and Moosehead Lake and driven many miles on the Golden Road up to Seebomook and Pitstons Farm. That is some of the most beautiful country on the east coast. Do they allow RZRs to drive the golden road?

Post some info about where it is that you can use your UTV so I can decide if a future vacation might include the RZR.

Most of the land owners here have completely shut us ATVers right out and for the same reasons you mentioned plus because of the idiots who treaspass and then file major law suits when they get hurt.
If I didn't belong to a hunting club with lots of land then I would not even consider buying an ATV/UTV here in NY.

Nice to have a "Vacationlander" here at the PRF.

Gary

·
Registered
123 Posts
Welcome to the PRF.

I spent a lot of time around Jackman in the fall hunting.. I agree that there are many roads that are and would be perfect for riding..

I seem to remember that a couple of years ago the state limited riding to designated roads ( signs posted ) or those that you have written permission to ride.. I know that around Jackman most of the roads are NOT available.. Has that changed recently..

You can forget trying to get permission from the paper company.. They have no problem with you riding their roads ( cars/trucks ) or hunting their land as long as they do not have to get involved ( paper work ).. The only restriction was there was NO hunting around an active logging site/crew.. Avoiding the logging trucks is the local sport and challenge.. It's their roads and they have the right of way.

I too would love to vacation in that area and ride the golden road and others if they were opened up..

Once again ,, Welcome

·
Registered
52 Posts
I live in NWPA and we ride our local (NOT State ) back roads that are mainly dirt as long as we don't tear them up. Unfortunately the younger generation doesn't comprehend how good they have it and at time have been known to do donuts, power slides and burnouts causing the locals to complain of the ruts in the roads which will eventually cause a ban on riding on our roads. I've talked to the parents and I get "well they have no were else to ride" so lets cause problems and bite the hand that feeds ya, I'll never understand some reasoning. I ride to work on my atv and love it and hope this will never change but only time will tell.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Over 3000 views but only 13 replies. Looks like there could be a lot of interest but it appears that this string has lost it's momentum. I am a brand newbie and ride within a mile of my property so can't offer beyond. Does anyone have any current updates for western MA?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts