Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shoot, I've been a member since Jan. 7, and forgot to check into my group. Hi all, greetings from Kansas, I live right in the center of this beautiful state. We don't have any mountains, but there are a few good hills around. :)

Larry G.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Cool Larry, We don't get to hear much about your state so fill us in a bit. Are they ATV friendly?
Do you have good riding areas close by?

I think comming from the mountains I would find riding there pretty boring but I know lots of guys have a blast out in the deserts that are pretty much flatlands also.

I've only ever blown right through Kansas and my recolection was mostly farm land that goes for miles upon miles.

Gary

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Gary, been wanting to talk to you. First I'll answer your ?.
I don't know if they are ATV friendly around here or not. There are no riding clubs close around here, but there are a lot of ATV's and UTV's. About all the farmers have them, and of course thier kids have them. They mostly ride them on thier own land. The kids from towns get permission, most of the time, from the farmers to ride. There are a lot of creeks around, and a river 1/2 mile so. of my house. A lot of kids ask to ride on our land, and we never turn them down. I am a little squemish about it cause of the liability, but there never have been any problems.
Now for my ?. I'm going to get a snow blade for my Ranger. I've been shopping and talking around about them, and have been pretty much led to getting a Black Line Plow, made in Memphis, Tn. Josh said you knew quite a bit about plows, what is your opinion?
BTW, I don't know exactly where you live, but have been in the Syracuse and Rochester NY area, and Ma. and Ct., I know about the snow you get up there. Have been caught in some of the snow storms up there. I use to deliver RV trailers from the factories to dealers all over the US. It is beautiful up there, but I'll stay here in the flatlands. :)

Larry

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Things sure are different between the states. 15 years ago we always asked permission from the big land owners and usually got the OK. That all got ruined by a few idiots who got hurt while riding on property they had permission to be on and sued the land owner.

Apparently, if you are trespassing and sue then you are less likely to win anything. Having permission is considered as the landowner accepting the responsibility and is a major NO NO here now. Liability insurance companies advise against it.

My wife grew up in Brockport which is right past Rochester. I lived there for 9 years and it is very much like your area, flat and farm fields.

Syracuse is the north west side of the mountain range I live on. If you follow Rt. 81 south to Binghamton and then take Rt.17 east along the NY/PA borders you will hit Monticello in about 90 miles and thats the closest big town to me. Im 100 NW of NYC and pretty much nothing but forest here and most is state owned and patroled.

My plow experience is limited to the RZR and Polaris plows but my brother and a good friend have had many.
They both swore by the Country plow by MOOSE. Problem with them was always in the connection point being under the machine and hanging below the lowest point on the bottom of the ATV. They had to remove that frame work every spring and reinstall it every winter. It was also a PITA to mount and dismount the plow.

With the new polaris Glacier mounting system, I can leave the frame on all year because it does not hang below and mounting and dismounting the plow takes less then 30 seconds. I love it and according to my brother and buddy, they still think the MOOSE plow was stronger but they both bought the Polaris Glacier plow system just because of the fantastic design.

Mine works perfect on the RZR and is plenty strong enough. If we are predicted for a major dump of a foot or two I always plow when we get about the first foot and I make sure to push it back quite far beginning in the first few storms so I don't get caught with major hard packed banks and no room to pile subsequent dumps.

I have the Polaris 3500 winch with amsteel blue rope that works the plow. Steel cable got destroyed in one season while the rope shows no wear at all. I also hooked up an in dash switch to control the winch and hated useing the remote cable deal. My plow is the 56" tapered blade with the rubber flap on top to keep spray off the windshield and it works great.

Gary

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I talked to a fellow from Mi., he had a business of cleaning snow off of parking lots. He had 2 Rangers, 2 pickups and a skidsteer. He's the one told me about the Blackline plow. He started with the polaris plows, then went with Blackline cause they have an electric lift that you can put 350# of down pressure on, and he was able to lift up the blade, drive up to a door area and drop the blade and pull the snow away from doors etc. Thats the way we use our front end loader on our tractor, put scoop in the verticle position, pull up to garage door, drop scoop and back up taking the snow with ya. I think Blackline makes plows for Polaris, cause they use the same mounting system, but Blackline probly won't let them use thier lift system.
I don't think I want the Moose, don't like the mount or the slow dismount.
Unless I change my mind, I think I will drop by Memphis on my way home from Josh's and take a look at thier plow, and maybe bring one home with me.
Thanks for your input.
BTW, a friend of mine and I were talking about our chat about getting permission to go on land, and he reminded me of an incident that happened when we were kids.(a long time ago!) There were some kids out in this area pheasant hunting from KC, and they did not have permission, but got on a farmers tractor and drove it around, turned it over and killed himself. Back then there were no ignition switches on tractors, just a push pull switch, or they shut off the fuel. They sued the farmer, but they didn't win, I think the main reason was cause of no ignition switches.
Anyway, so much for that!

Larry

1 - 5 of 5 Posts