Polaris Ranger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I done did it! :grin:

The original lead acid batteries in our 2013 were about used up.

I have everything removed except the battery trays, do they need to come out?

Can anyone advise me on how to package the charger and motor controller for shipment to Voltronix USA?

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Congrats Xfaxman. What made you chose the 160? Just curious. I started w the 180 but they were having trouble w the testing. The 180ah were from a new vender and the specs were not jiving w the controller or something., so Brennan made me a really good offer on the 200ah. They weren't in stock but I was willing to wait. I should b packing mine up in a couple weeks. I suggest if you aren't confident in packing yourself and there is a UPS Store close by take it to them and let them pack it and b responsible for any damage. I have been saving bubble wrap and a good box from other materials that have came to my shop from UPS or FedEx. Either way be sure to box it up in a good box w plenty of packing being sure none of the metal edges can puncture the box. wrap it double good w shipping tape on all sided and openings. Wrap the charger and controller separately in the box and don't be conservative. Looking forward to hear about your progress. Let us know when you get started. I might have to give u a call if I get stumped although I'm sure Voltronixs will have great tech support because Brennan has been great so far.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Amazing how it can accumulate over a little time thru such a small opening. I have made neoprene mud flaps on the rear just for that and also covered the opening under the seats in front of the batteries on each side w ABS plastic. I try to take the sides off each year and do a through cleaning around the batteries and frame

·
Super Moderator
459 Posts
Make Ready Shipping of Charger & Controller

Xfaxman: You will be smiling soon! I have been more than pleased with my Voltronix conversion.

I would suggest that you find two sturdy cardboard containers that will allow about three inches of crumpled packing paper or other buffering material on top/bottom and all sides. Place each component in a plastic bag along with your contact information. This will ensure dryness and if the package gets lost the person opening the box will know who to call. One component in each box. Coordinate the "Ship To" address with Voltronix and then use FedEx or UPS with tracking. Insurance is up to you.

Jack

·
Registered
220 Posts
After my recent windshield shipping experience with UPS, I wouldn't trust them to successfully ship a moldy, rotten boot.

·
Registered
631 Posts
On a recent Lifepo4 conversion I did (In the UK) I fitted some small plastic strips in the back of the arch edges, and also made some blanking plates to fill in the triangle at the front (the photos is of the drivers side). I flattened the old battery retaining flanges, and had the old sttel battery supports blasted and powder coated. Looked good. Sorry but photos of black pieces against a black background arnt the best.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm gonna watch this post closely - I'm talking to Ed and Brennan right now about doing the same thing on my 2013. My batteries are starting to lose longevity....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just curious, how much does a Voltronix Lithium conversion kit cost for a Ranger EV? I just bought a 2017 and am curious about this when my lead acid batteries give out in a few years.

·
Super Moderator
459 Posts
Voltronis Li Conversion Costs

The first question about cost that needs to be answered is; how big of a battery pack do you want. Voltronix offers the smallest pack at 160 Ah and the largest 260 Ah. Check the thread on this forum: Lithium-Ion Conversion In the link shown here you will find cost information and performance reviews. For a current schedule of costs or specific question you can Private Message (PM) me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also have a 160Ah conversion being done by Brennan and his team at Voltronix. My Ranger is there now and I can't wait to get it back and putting back to work. I'll post my "after the conversion" notes here!

·
Super Moderator
459 Posts
Keep Us Posted

We are looking forward to your reports!

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Xfaxman whats the status of your kit. are you waiting for them to b shipped back or are they as in my case making the enclosures?

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Xfaxman whats the status of your kit.
I don't know what the status is. As we used to say in the Air Force, AFI, awaiting further instructions.

I haven't shipped the charger and motor controller.

Li-ion batteries were scheduled to arrive there in May.

Did they send you an instruction manual? I don't have one yet.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Yes when i shipped mine I went to all the trouble of saving styrofoam sheets and bubble wrap. Carefully wrapped the controller and charger w all cables and when they asked if i wanted to insure it I said yes. They said " we will have to box it ourselves to insure it so i said go for it. I really think all they did was put it in another box.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts