Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need some help and want answers from someone besides a salesman, this seems to be the place.

My situation...
I want a Ranger capable of towing between 2 and 6 people up and down logging roads in the mountains of North Carolina. I will mostly be hauling my wife and 2 kids (7 and 6). At most we will be encountering 30 to 35 degree angles in a few places. I don't want to risk flipping with my kids and also want enough power to handle these conditions. Roads are dirt (not even gravel) although I might throw some crush and run down and have it spread if that helps.

My Questions Are
1.) What angle is safe if the rd i mud?
2.) What angle is safe if the rd is gravel/crush n run? Does gravel help?
3.) How easily do these things flip back?
4.) Does a rear engine increase the likleyhood these will flip?
5.) What Ranger Crew Model can i get by with? I would like a used, but the dealer says the new 570's have as much hp as the old 800's?
-Ranger Crew 500
-Ranger Crew 570
-Ranger Crew 700
-Ranger Crew 800
6.) How important is power steering?
7.) Do the crews bottom out because they are so long?

Thanks, i appreciate any and all help more than you know. Thanks

·
Registered
160 Posts
My 800 manual says to not operate the vehicle at angles greater than 15 degrees. I have operated mine at somewhat sharper angles than 15 degrees but I don't think it has been anywhere near 30 or 35. My 2012 800 has been used in everything from the Rocky Mountains to Louisiana swamps without a hitch, all while hauling two large men and a bed load of equipment.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I have the 570 crew and really like it has all the power you need rides good really like mine .But I agree with blue moon 30 35 degree isnt going to be very safe,

·
Registered
308 Posts
I can't comment on the safe angle aspect. To many variables. But the size, the 570 will do what you want for sure. An older 500 will work as long as you are not racing. They are rock solid dependable just not the fastest thing out there. My recommendation is look at the midsize and the full size, see what you like and what fits your needs. After you decide on size, then start looking. That way you have a plan and know what will or won't work.

·
Registered
14 Posts
35 degree is not a problem for my 500 (not a crew) I have been up 45 degree + hills..it does it with ease..wouldn't chance it with my kids tho

1 - 6 of 6 Posts