Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 Ranger 500. My problems started about 2 months ago. One day the speedometer just stopped working. Next, my Ranger would not start sometimes. When I turned the key nothing but the sound of the fuel pump. After about a month the starting would get worse. Now no start at all and no headlights. I have no headlights with the key in any position and no start. I can hear the fuel pump buzzing that's all. I have 12.6 volts from the battery to the solenoid. I also have 12.6 volts from the plug on top of the solenoid. It reads 12.6 when you hit the brake pedal with the key on the start position. I have no volt reading from the solenoid to the starter. I can start the Ranger if I jump the solenoid. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
404 Posts
2012 Ranger 500. My problems started about 2 months ago. One day the speedometer just stopped working. Next, my Ranger would not start sometimes. When I turned the key nothing but the sound of the fuel pump. After about a month the starting would get worse. Now no start at all and no headlights. I have no headlights with the key in any position and no start. I can hear the fuel pump buzzing that's all. I have 12.6 volts from the battery to the solenoid. I also have 12.6 volts from the plug on top of the solenoid. It reads 12.6 when you hit the brake pedal with the key on the start position. I have no volt reading from the solenoid to the starter. I can start the Ranger if I jump the solenoid. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
The 500 probably has the same starter-interrupt switch that the 800 does. If the connections get dirty or loose sometimes it will not start. It will be in the brake-line. On an 800 it's low on the frame on the drivers-side close to the clutch-cover. The 500's may very well be around there too. It has a 2-wire connector. You can jump the two wires together for testing and see if it then starts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No start

I tried that and still nothing at all. The only way it will start is shorting out the solenoid. Today something new started. Now the engine is missing. It will run but with a bad miss. I have no idea what to do. I guess it will need to go to dealer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had similar problems and ended up replacing the switch. I could not get power to the "downstream" side of the solenoid, so what I did was jump it from the positive side of the battery to the "downstream" side of the solenoid. It sound as if you have more issues than I did however the all might tie back to the key switch. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Check engine light

The check engine light is not on. When the Ranger is running, sometimes it will come on for a few minutes and then go off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not happy at all! Finally bought it to the dealer. For a Ranger that is a 18 months old it has many problems! The main wiring harness has chaffed allowing water in. It is rusted and wires are corroding. The computer, solenoid, and ignition switch has shorted out. Going to cost about $1400 to fix. Not happy at all. I take care of my Ranger.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts