Polaris Ranger Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a Voltronix battery pack and plan to use the EV during December in western TN where the temperature could fall below 30 degrees. It is a deer camp so I do not have a garage and must charge outside. Has anyone used these battery warming blankets around the housing to keep the batteries warm while charging in cold weather? Any reason not to?

Thanks,

Ted
Sleeve Font Gadget Audio equipment Personal protective equipment

·
Super Moderator
480 Posts
I have not used any system to keep my Li Pack warm. But see not reason why these would not work. The BMS (Voltronix supplied Orion Jr with temperature sensing) will only allow charging when the pack is at a temperature that will allow charging without damage. You can discharge at any cold temperature, the issue is charging. One method I use is to immediately start charging after using as the pack creates heat while discharging and is usually warm enoughafter use that the BMS allows the Delta-Q to initiate charging.

·
Registered
18 Posts
At that temp I wouldn’t worry about the batteries. Hot weather is harder on batteries than cold, but like stated if the pack gets too cold it won’t charge. I’ve seen my friend hook his up and 12 degrees after riding around and it charged just fine.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Ambient temperature is not same as the actual pack temperature read by BMS and thermistors on cells. I’m in MS and charged mine many times with temps below 20-25 degrees even after trailering home for a hour but I do store it on my enclosed carport not outside. As stated above just plug it in after riding

1 - 4 of 4 Posts