Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I'm probably opening up a can of worms with this one.

I've recently purchased a 2012 Polaris Ranger. The previous owner (who previously owned the Polaris dealership) had put on 120 hours on the machine. The batteries were replaced in 2018 (US XC2-12V 155ah). Based on the math, the machine was only seeing on average 15hrs/year. Which means these batteries have probably seen under 50 charges. They are showing static voltages around 12.8V when charged. I've recently did a cleaning and topping up of the batteries. I have already put on 15hrs on this machine since getting it last month.

Now, I know there are a TON of caveats but I'm wondering if this seems like reasonable amount of range. Keep in mind, I live in a extremely mountainous area. I did a loop today which consists of two distinctly different terrains. One is a big climb on a old mining road (part 1), the other is a long descent on fairly smooth dirt road with a little climb at the end (part 2).

Main details:
59 degree F (15C)
Light winds & Sunny
10am
1 Passenger (170lbs), no cargo, no accessories

Loop Pt 1:
Base Elevation: 2191 ft (667.9m)
Top of Climb: 3736 ft (1139m)
Distance: 3.41 miles (5.5km)
Average 5% slope (8 degrees) w/ some area of very rough terrain exceeding 35% (20 degree)
Turf mode, Max Range - with a small 1/4mile section of really steep terrain (AWD, Low Range)
That takes me down to about 50% on the SOC

Loop Pt 2:
Starting Elevation 3736 ft (1139m)
Ending Elevation 2191 ft (667m) with a dip down to 1800ft (550m)
Distance: 8.2 miles (13.2km)
Only Turf mode, Max Range
Down to 20-30% on the SOC

Total Distance is 11.6 miles (18.7km)
1 hr of drive time on the hour meter

I'm certainly impressed with the terrain capability of the machine. I'm not sure if I should expect more range than this given the terrain with FLA batteries. Thinking about switching over to Lithium but unless you folks think my batteries are weak, I don't think the current available 280ah will provide enough range for my exploration needs in my locale, as I would need to hit around 40 miles (60km) range with about 12 miles of hard uphill (from 2000' to 7000').

For the most part, I primarily use the ranger on a small farm, which I use 10% in a day's worth of use and it is fabulous for that.

Would love your thoughts on this!

I also did make a video of the loop, which I will link when I get the video together and online.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2015 Polaris Ranger EV
4 Posts
Hi Sch,

Your experience matches what I got, 14 miles per charge on rough trails with new lead acid batteries. I bought my Ranger from an online auction. It was from a rental fleet. Beat up with 375 hours with a new set of USA FLA batteries. I never got 30 miles per charge but I did not try a long trip on pavement with 30 psi. I switched to an 10.5kWh Atlas ESS LFP battery. I found my consumption on rough trails was approx 295 watt/hr per mile, with 7psi in the tires. So my range is 36 miles per charge. Range will increase with higher tire pressure and better trails (less rolling resistance). Also, the personality of the Ranger changes when you loose 460 pounds of lead! You should definitely change to LFP.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
So here's the video of the loop I discussed in the first post. I overlaid what the SOC reading was, so you can always see where the battery life is at. The video is about an hour long, but I think the part that demonstrates the capability of the ranger is from 11:30 to 21:10. It's probably approximately 1.5 miles with a vertical of 1300 ft.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I can’t watch a hour long video of riding. Realistically in the real world you will get 20-25, maybe close to 30. There are so many variables. Weight,terrain, tire size, load, temperature, mud, soft dirt hard dirt.

·
Registered
29 Posts
So here's the video of the loop I discussed in the first post. I overlaid what the SOC reading was, so you can always see where the battery life is at. The video is about an hour long, but I think the part that demonstrates the capability of the ranger is from 11:30 to 21:10. It's probably approximately 1.5 miles with a vertical of 1300 ft.

Polaris Ranger EV Realistic Range
Excellent Video. Will help to a lot of peoples.

With above 20Kw Capacity of Lithium Battery, the maximum i ride was about 35 miles, in very muddy road.
I think i got 25-30% present left.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Excellent Video. Will help to a lot of peoples.

With above 20Kw Capacity of Lithium Battery, the maximum i ride was about 35 miles, in very muddy road.
I think i got 25-30% present left.
Thanks - I was thinking of you when I was posting this so glad to hear your feedback. Hoping to transition to Lithium in the nearish future, so I can post a side-by-side video comparison for performance & range. I'm just not convinced that 280ah will be enough for my location.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks - I was thinking of you when I was posting this so glad to hear your feedback. Hoping to transition to Lithium in the nearish future, so I can post a side-by-side video comparison for performance & range. I'm just not convinced that 280ah will be enough for my location.
Today, after i have more knowledge, i would not suggest to change to Lifepo4. I would change to NMC.
I dont need the life time of 2000 Cycles. i am doing about 1.5 charging cycles per week, 52 weeks in year, the meaning the cells have life time of over 15 years.

NMC have 1000 Cycles, it would be better choice.
Also NMC is much more preferable by EV industry.

For example :
Lead Acid [email protected] (8x12V-155Ah) (maybe 170Ah effective capacity), weight of 440Kg (970Lbs).
64 Cells Lifepo4 [email protected], have 400Ah (20.4KW) and weight of 230Kg.
56 Cells of 135Ah NMC Total [email protected] (27.5KW), weight only 130Kg.

So with NMC I gain less weight, amazing range, and cheaper price.
This the Cell i would choose in the future:

Just for general information, for the LifePo4 i paid about 3,550USD for 67 cells. which more expensive compare to NMC.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts