Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How I fixed a "Hot Restart" problem on my 2012 Polaris Ranger Walker Evans 800 XP with 2500 miles.

Symptoms:
After any riding riding that resulted in engine temperatures in the 195-205 degree range (as read on the digital dash), my buggy wouldn't restart until it cooled off to below 190. Initial startup cold and performance during all conditions was flawless, as long as I didn't turn it off when hot.

Attempted fixes:
1. New plugs
2. Insulated fuel line and fuel rack
3. Burped the fuel tank (opened/closed fuel cap)
4. Cleaned fuel tank and blew out pump suction filter
Found that Polaris routed my fuel tank vent hose into a frame section under the seat without any filter attached. The roll over safety valve was completely clogged with dirt.
5. Installed filter on fuel tank vent
6. 93 octane fuel
7. Cleaned all EFI related connectors on the wiring harness

Result:
No change

Contacted dealer:
He was clueless that and hot start problems existed. Told him to read the Polaris forum and watch YouTube videos of hot Rangers and RZR cranking over without starting.

Next step
Bought a fuel pressure gauge. Read a constant 41psi. Repair manual calls for 45psi +/- 2psi

Contacted the dealer and attempted to contact Polaris via their customer support website.

Dealer recommended replacing the $330 fuel pump and reflashing the ECM (at $70 and hour).

Polaris customer support (if there was ever a worse title, it should be renamed non-support). Got the following reply:

Thank you for contacting Polaris Industries Inc. I am very sorry to hear that you have been experiencing some hot starting issues with your 2012 Ranger XP 800 Walker Evans edition. We understand that no one wants to experience a problem with their vehicle and want to make sure your vehicle gets repaired so you can continue using it. Unfortunately, here in Customer Service we do not have the technical training and experience as our dealers. Polaris operates through a dealer network to provide sales and service of our machines. I would recommend working with the dealer to help rectify the hot starting issue you have been experiencing. If the dealer is unsure of how to repair the unit, they have our Technical Team available as a 24/7 support system to aid them with the diagnoses/repair of your Ranger. I am very confident that our dealer will be able to fully assist you and get you back out and riding confidently in no time. Again, I apologize for the hot starting issue and am confident that our dealer will be able to perform the correct repairs.

Hard to believe customer support at Polaris doesn't have "technical training" to support their customers. Guess they also aren't trained as to how to forward technical questions to trained personnel.

Sorry got side tracked.

Next step in troubleshooting hot start provided a temporary fix.

Attached a small petcock valve to the fuel rail damper. I found that if the engine wouldn't start when hot, if I opened the pet cock and drained about a 1/4 cup of gas with the key in the run position my Ranger would start. Not an ideal fix but at least I didn't get stranded any longer until the engine cooled.

After researching the net found a company that specializes in fuel pumps. Found a fuel pump kit, HFP-396 on Amazon for $80. Removed the Polaris fuel pump assembly from my tank. Labeled the four electrical wires on the underside of the fuel pump connector and unsoldered them (use a low wattage iron designed for electronic applications, not a high wattage gun which can cause damage to the connector and new pump) . Disassembled the old pump,fuel pressure regulator and filter. If your careful you can avoid replacing the pump discharge hose (even though the kit has a new one if needed). Check the fuel pressure regulator o-ring on the new unit that it is the same size as installed on the OEM unit. Mine was undersized which allowed the pump discharge to leak past the regulator resulting in a non start (22psi fuel pressure). Swapped o-rings on the OEM/new regulator. Like magic, 46psi fuel pressure. For curiosity sake I tried old/new pump/regulator combinations and found out that the root cause of the low fuel pressure which resulted in the hot start problem was the OEM regulator. Sure would be nice if it would be available as a standalone replacement which is a ten minute fix. I suspect that the failure of Polaris to install a filter on my gas tank vent line resulted in dust/dirt being induced into the tank (found fine grit inside the fuel pump assembly) which resulted in the failure.

I have had the buggy out for several woods/mud/snow rides in both cold and hot weather. Regardless of environmental or engine temperatures I can now stop for an adult beverage and know that my buggy will restart just like it did when new. Hope this helps someone out there that is as frustrated as I was and save you from replacing an entire assembly that is fairly easy to rebuild with a lifetime warranted pump from HFP .

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanx for the tips MasterBlaster. My problem might be slightly different as my hot restart issues come when I try restarting a few times in a short period like while doing chores.
I like how Polaris tech support contradicted themselves by telling you they don't have the training for such issues however the dealer can contact them for support on the issue.
I find Polaris to be very vague about a lot of things especially in the owners manual. They want you to go to the dealer for a lot of things the owner could do with just a little info. I'm surprised you don't have to go to the dealer to add gas.

·
Registered
860 Posts
How I fixed a "Hot Restart" problem on my 2012 Polaris Ranger Walker Evans 800 XP with 2500 miles.

Symptoms:
After any riding riding that resulted in engine temperatures in the 195-205 degree range (as read on the digital dash), my buggy wouldn't restart until it cooled off to below 190. Initial startup cold and performance during all conditions was flawless, as long as I didn't turn it off when hot.

Attempted fixes:
1. New plugs
2. Insulated fuel line and fuel rack
3. Burped the fuel tank (opened/closed fuel cap)
4. Cleaned fuel tank and blew out pump suction filter
Found that Polaris routed my fuel tank vent hose into a frame section under the seat without any filter attached. The roll over safety valve was completely clogged with dirt.
5. Installed filter on fuel tank vent
6. 93 octane fuel
7. Cleaned all EFI related connectors on the wiring harness

Result:
No change

Contacted dealer:
He was clueless that and hot start problems existed. Told him to read the Polaris forum and watch YouTube videos of hot Rangers and RZR cranking over without starting.

Next step
Bought a fuel pressure gauge. Read a constant 41psi. Repair manual calls for 45psi +/- 2psi

Contacted the dealer and attempted to contact Polaris via their customer support website.

Dealer recommended replacing the $330 fuel pump and reflashing the ECM (at $70 and hour).

Polaris customer support (if there was ever a worse title, it should be renamed non-support). Got the following reply:

Thank you for contacting Polaris Industries Inc. I am very sorry to hear that you have been experiencing some hot starting issues with your 2012 Ranger XP 800 Walker Evans edition. We understand that no one wants to experience a problem with their vehicle and want to make sure your vehicle gets repaired so you can continue using it. Unfortunately, here in Customer Service we do not have the technical training and experience as our dealers. Polaris operates through a dealer network to provide sales and service of our machines. I would recommend working with the dealer to help rectify the hot starting issue you have been experiencing. If the dealer is unsure of how to repair the unit, they have our Technical Team available as a 24/7 support system to aid them with the diagnoses/repair of your Ranger. I am very confident that our dealer will be able to fully assist you and get you back out and riding confidently in no time. Again, I apologize for the hot starting issue and am confident that our dealer will be able to perform the correct repairs.

Hard to believe customer support at Polaris doesn't have "technical training" to support their customers. Guess they also aren't trained as to how to forward technical questions to trained personnel.

Sorry got side tracked.

Next step in troubleshooting hot start provided a temporary fix.

Attached a small petcock valve to the fuel rail damper. I found that if the engine wouldn't start when hot, if I opened the pet cock and drained about a 1/4 cup of gas with the key in the run position my Ranger would start. Not an ideal fix but at least I didn't get stranded any longer until the engine cooled.

After researching the net found a company that specializes in fuel pumps. Found a fuel pump kit, HFP-396 on Amazon for $80. Removed the Polaris fuel pump assembly from my tank. Labeled the four electrical wires on the underside of the fuel pump connector and unsoldered them (use a low wattage iron designed for electronic applications, not a high wattage gun which can cause damage to the connector and new pump) . Disassembled the old pump,fuel pressure regulator and filter. If your careful you can avoid replacing the pump discharge hose (even though the kit has a new one if needed). Check the fuel pressure regulator o-ring on the new unit that it is the same size as installed on the OEM unit. Mine was undersized which allowed the pump discharge to leak past the regulator resulting in a non start (22psi fuel pressure). Swapped o-rings on the OEM/new regulator. Like magic, 46psi fuel pressure. For curiosity sake I tried old/new pump/regulator combinations and found out that the root cause of the low fuel pressure which resulted in the hot start problem was the OEM regulator. Sure would be nice if it would be available as a standalone replacement which is a ten minute fix. I suspect that the failure of Polaris to install a filter on my gas tank vent line resulted in dust/dirt being induced into the tank (found fine grit inside the fuel pump assembly) which resulted in the failure.

I have had the buggy out for several woods/mud/snow rides in both cold and hot weather. Regardless of environmental or engine temperatures I can now stop for an adult beverage and know that my buggy will restart just like it did when new. Hope this helps someone out there that is as frustrated as I was and save you from replacing an entire assembly that is fairly easy to rebuild with a lifetime warranted pump from HFP .
That is a real interesting story Jim, did all that research yourself ,did yah......:mad:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm going to try a new pump. I have a '12 800 crew that will shut itself down eventually when it gets hot and won't restart until cooled. Sometimes I have to remove the rear bench to cool faster or if I'm riding by myself, I'll remove it first. I always thought it might have something to do with running ethanol blended fuel, but adding BG fuel treatment products weren't helping as much as they should.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ordered mid-price pump from EBay, installed, and haven't had a problem since. As master blaster found, my new fuel pressure regulator also had an undersized o-ring that would allow the machine to start hard, but idle terrible and not "throttle up." Swapped rings with the old regulator and solved the problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I'm experiencing the same issue with hot start. I'm a little confused with what you did regarding the oring swapping. Are you running the OEM pump and regulator with the oring from the new regulator? Or are you running the OEM pump and new regulator?

I'm wondering if I can just swap out the oring on the OEM regulator?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts