Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recommendations for AMSOIL products to replace Polaris part numbers.

POLARIS/= AMSOIL

-Polaris Premium 2-cycle oil/= AIT-injector oil

-Premium Gold Synthetic 2-cycle oil/= AIT-injector oil

-Polaris Premium 4 Synthetic 0W40/= AFF 0W40

-Polaris 10W or 20W40/= AMF 10W40

-Polaris Premium Synthetic gear case lube (SGL-AGL)/= TCC chaincase lube Part numbers 2871280, 2871478 and 2873602

-Front and Rear Gearcase Oil GL 80-90/= TGR 75W90

-Polaris Premium U-Joint Lube/= GLC dry conditions Part numbers 2871515 and 2871551/ GWR wet conditions

-O-Ring chain lube/= AMH metal protector

-Polaris Premium all season grease/= GHD

-Counter Balance Housing SAE 10W30/= ATM

-Premium Hub Lube/= STL Shock Therapy Part number 2871654

-Front Gearcase Oil/= 2871653 TGR

Thank you,

Ed Kellerman

Manager, Amsoil Tech Services

======================
Maybe easier to read…..
Polaris = Amsoil
Polaris 0W-40 Premium Synthetic = Amsoil Formula 4-Stroke OW-40 (AFF) ENGINE OIL

Polaris Synthetic Gearcase Lubricant (AGL) part #2873602 = Amsoil Series 2000 Synthetic Chaincase Lube (TCC) TRANSMISSION AND TRANSFER CASE

Polaris Premium ATV Angle Drive Fluid part #2871653 = Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-90 Synthetic Gear Oil (SVG) REAR GEAR CASE

Polaris Premium Demand Drive Hub Fluid part #2871654 (old part #-new #2876251, my edit) = Amsoil Shock Therapy Light (STL) FRONT CASE-DEMAND DRIVE.

The bold I added to (hopefully) help make it easier to understand.

The last item #2871654 is the Polaris part # for the hub fluid as listed in my 2004.5 Sportsman 700EFI, and our 2005 Sportsman 800EFI owners manuel. The RZR manuel has a # of 2876251. Having been in the parts business and seen how easy numbers are changed, could be simple a different vendor, or something else. Anyway, I would feel good using what Amsoil has recommended. Also found many have used the Amsoil 75W-90 gear lube without problems in everything but the engine. That is what I did on my two Sportsmen. I’m thinking since I’ve come across this that I may change them to follow Amsoil recommendations. A lot of discussion has been shared on this subject. Not trying to create more, but this information from Amsoil is important and can benefit many.

Reactions: pauline

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Polaris Ranger/RZR Oil Recommendation

Found this information regarding oil filters on another web site.

"I did a search in the Polaris forum under oil filter and seen a lot of guys talking of using a Napa 1356, 1357, 1358 filter.
I crossed this to a Wix number 51356, 51357, 51358.
I then crossed the Wix filter to an STP oil filter number S6607 which AutoZone carries.

The Wix numbers 51356 and 51357 both came up with the S6607 number and the 51358 came up with a completely different number.

I also looked at both the Napa website and the Wix website.
The only difference I seen in all the filters was the Micron flow number which was 8 on the filters ending in 7 and 8.

The filters ending with a 6 have a Micron flow number of 8-11 which lets more oil flow through the filter.
This in return helps cool the oil and doesn't let to much pressure build up in your filter.
Too small of a micron flow number can cause your oil filter to burst or blow up.

AutoZone carries the STP filter #S6607 and it is $3.79, a huge difference from the Polaris OEM filter that runs $12.00"

-------------------------

http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/atv.asp

WIX p/n 31357
NAPA 1357
STP S6607
Polaris 2540006

·
Registered
5 Posts
Re: Polaris Ranger/RZR Oil Recommendation

Be careful with low cost paper media filters. Your better off spending more money on a synthetic media, such as, K&N oil filter and saving your engine. A synthetic media filter will catch smaller micron particles and with much higher dirt holding capacity. Take it from a hydraulic filtration expert.

[quote author=2005DMAX link=topic=382.msg3157#msg3157 date=1202777899]
Found this information regarding oil filters on another web site.

"I did a search in the Polaris forum under oil filter and seen a lot of guys talking of using a Napa 1356, 1357, 1358 filter.
I crossed this to a Wix number 51356, 51357, 51358.
I then crossed the Wix filter to an STP oil filter number S6607 which AutoZone carries.

The Wix numbers 51356 and 51357 both came up with the S6607 number and the 51358 came up with a completely different number.

I also looked at both the Napa website and the Wix website.
The only difference I seen in all the filters was the Micron flow number which was 8 on the filters ending in 7 and 8.

The filters ending with a 6 have a Micron flow number of 8-11 which lets more oil flow through the filter.
This in return helps cool the oil and doesn't let to much pressure build up in your filter.
Too small of a micron flow number can cause your oil filter to burst or blow up.

AutoZone carries the STP filter #S6607 and it is $3.79, a huge difference from the Polaris OEM filter that runs $12.00"

-------------------------

http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/atv.asp

WIX p/n 31357
NAPA 1357
STP S6607
Polaris 2540006

[/quote]

·
Registered
269 Posts
Anybody find the Mobil 1 filter number for the NAPA PS1358 or the Wix 51358 and I think the K & N oil filter is KN303 this is for the older 500 motor.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Just be careful with cross referencing. If you will notice most filter look up sites will carry a disclaimer about cross referencing and the possibility of incompatibility.

While WIX does make all NAPA filters, the NAPA Gold is the only one that is equivalent to the WIX filter (very same in NAPA colors). ANy other NAPA filter is below par with the Gold and the WIX, they are made to be value leaders.
Fyi..............................
Here is a page from my ps filters catalog

The Amsoil part number EAOM103 and EAOM103C (Chrome) are 100% synthetic nano-fiber media filters (licensed by Donaldson). The other Number are WIX, drop the first number of the WIX gives you the NAPA Gold number.. The air filters numbers are TwinAir.

Any filter number shown on this list is available directly from AMSOIL. Please use my referral number when contacting AMSOIL or making a purchase. Thank You...

·
Registered
269 Posts
Thanks for your help, with your information I was able to find a link for the matching filters
http://weislake.com/sig/oil-filters.pdf
Now I can pick up a Mobil 1 filter at the local parts store.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I can't find any real info on the Napa Gold filters other then what DMAX has already posted. According to my Napa guy who made a call to the filter division, most polaris ATVs require the 1357 Gold filter that has a micron flow rate of 8 but the RZR and 800 EFIs should use the 1356 Gold filter that has a higher flow rate like DMAX said.

I have read a number of papers regarding various filters and their quality. There was no mention of what company actually makes the polaris filters but I suspect they are nothing special. The Napa Golds are considered to be good filters and the Mobil 1 filters are in the same category as the golds but usually twice the price. There truly is not a high quality or race quality filter in the size we need unless Amsoil, Hastings or Baldwin comes out with a specific one for our units.

Gary

·
Registered
317 Posts
Bringing up an oldie.

I have been reseaching oil filters recently.
(I hate feeling like I am paying $9 for a Polaris oil filter when it is probably available at pepboys from the company that manufacturers it for $4)

And I ran accross this oil filter study, http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/reference.html

Pretty interesting reading. Basically out of all the different names on filters there are only 5 or 6 manufacturers
Baldwin/Hastings,
Champ, Donaldson,
Purolator,
Dana/WIX.
Fram/Honeywell

But I still dont know who makes the Polaris filter ???

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
If I had to guess I would say Dana/Wix makes the Polaris one but I ma perfectly happy with the Napa Gold 1356. $9 is not too steep for a good quality filter and I know the Napa golds get a good rating.

I know on some of my other power equipment I can do a lot better if I buy a case of 12 filters at a time from a good on-line dealer. My lawn tractor and snow blower take the same filter and I found a B&S dealer who knocks off about 40% by the case. Might be an idea to find a couple guys with the same machine or who need the same filter and then do some price shopping.

I've been back and forth all day today with Z71 trying to put together an oil order and making sure I get the right stuff for my power stroke and now I am working out the stuff I need for a few other machines to make one full order up.

Gary

·
Registered
447 Posts
I don't think its WIX but they could make some of them. Just today I tried to find an oil filter for a guy with a Polaris Outlaw. It uses 2 filters, cartridge type (not spin on) and I could not x-ref the Polaris number to any WIX. I could only X-Ref to K&N and another brand KTM. I would think if Wix made the filter they would have a one to fit. Polaris might have non-disclosure agreements like AMSOIL (see below).

AMSOIL EA filters are made by several manf. depending on the model. Wix or Donaldson and possibly one other. AMSOIL says that contract agreements with these filter makers prohibits them from disclosing that info publicly. The synthetic media used in the AMSOIL filters is licensed Nano-Fiber technology from Donaldson.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Thats the business way with a lot of this stuff. Polaris oils are the same and you never know what refiner is filling the bottles.

BTW, I hate those cartridge type filters! My Toyo Rav4 has it and it makes a simple oil and filter change into a big mess!

Gary

·
Registered
447 Posts
My CTS4 3.6L has the cartridge but there is not mess. Its on top of the engine, remove the cap and take out the filter.....

The hex cover by the yellow dipstick if the oil filter

fyi...Just got this info today..

Driven by increasingly stringent emission and fuel economy standards, Toyota has informed its dealers that the company will begin requiring SAE 0W-20 synthetic motor oils in new Toyota, Scion and Lexus vehicles over the next several years. Other OEMs are expected to follow suit by 2011. Among the benefits cited by Toyota are enhanced protection at high and low temperatures, improved fuel economy and reduced engine deposits. In addition, Toyota is reportedly studying increasing oil drain interval recommendations to 10,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
It's about time a manufacturer finally reccognizes the merrits of synthetics! 10,000 miles between changes on a vehicle that is predominantly driven on paved roads and using synthetics is perfectly acceptable and may even be overkill. Some of the tests I have read from oil analysis testing labs has shown that synthetics after 7,500 miles show no appreciable break down that would require changing. They did however mention that Turbo engines tend to require more frequent changes but should always use full synthetics because of the high heat produced in the turbo.

Gary

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
My Rav4 cartridge looks similar but is under the engine and a real PITA to get at. The new filter comes with a drain hose and attachment thingy but I end up with oil all over the place every time. It would be tuff to do it on the ground in the drive way but is a bit easier on a lift.

Gary

·
Registered
5 Posts
Polaris Synthetic Gearcase Lubricant (AGL) part #2873602 = Amsoil Series 2000 Synthetic Chaincase Lube (TCC) TRANSMISSION AND TRANSFER CASE

Polaris Premium ATV Angle Drive Fluid part #2871653 = Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-90 Synthetic Gear Oil (SVG) REAR GEAR CASE

Polaris Premium Demand Drive Hub Fluid part #2871654 (old part #-new #2876251, my edit) = Amsoil Shock Therapy Light (STL) FRONT CASE-DEMAND DRIVE.

The bold I added to (hopefully) help make it easier to understand.

The last item #2871654 is the Polaris part # for the hub fluid as listed in my 2004.5 Sportsman 700EFI, and our 2005 Sportsman 800EFI owners manuel. The RZR manuel has a # of 2876251. Having been in the parts business and seen how easy numbers are changed, could be simple a different vendor, or something else. Anyway, I would feel good using what Amsoil has recommended. Also found many have used the Amsoil 75W-90 gear lube without problems in everything but the engine. That is what I did on my two Sportsmen. I’m thinking since I’ve come across this that I may change them to follow Amsoil recommendations. A lot of discussion has been shared on this subject. Not trying to create more, but this information from Amsoil is important and can benefit many.
I own a 2007 Ranger 4 x 4 XP that is in need of a complete oil/gear lube change out. I plan on using your recommendations for AMSOIL. However, has anyone had problems running the AMSOIL 75W-90 Severe Gear Oil product in the transmission and well as the front and back hubs? I see that it was mentioned in this post that some have run this product in all but the engine. It would be a lot easier to just run this gear oil in all three applications (trans, front and back hubs), rather than buying three different products. I love the KISS principle and using three different gear oils seems a bit much, but I will go this route (three separate oils) if problems may potentially arise when the 75W-90 synthetic was used in all three applications.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Yamahalic

I am the AMSOIL Dealer.

The 75W-90 Severe Gear Lube is only recommended for use in the rear axle. I would advise against using it in the trans or front hub, its the wrong viscosity and type of lubricant.

The front hub would use (ATFQT) Synthetic Universal Automatic Transmission Fluid
The Transmission would use (TCCBE) Series 2000 ChainCase Lubricant

AMSOIL Powersports Products

If you need any further information, I will be glad to help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks Z71, I appreciate the info and quick reply. Will buy all three AMSOIL gear / tranny oils following your recommendations plus 0W-40 synthetic engine oil within the next couple of days. I plan on using the NAPA Gold 1356 engine oil filter. Brian

·
Registered
283 Posts
I can't find any real info on the Napa Gold filters other then what DMAX has already posted. According to my Napa guy who made a call to the filter division, most polaris ATVs require the 1357 Gold filter that has a micron flow rate of 8 but the RZR and 800 EFIs should use the 1356 Gold filter that has a higher flow rate like DMAX said.

I have read a number of papers regarding various filters and their quality. There was no mention of what company actually makes the polaris filters but I suspect they are nothing special. The Napa Golds are considered to be good filters and the Mobil 1 filters are in the same category as the golds but usually twice the price. There truly is not a high quality or race quality filter in the size we need unless Amsoil, Hastings or Baldwin comes out with a specific one for our units.

Gary
you wouldnt happen to spend any time on the website (Bob is the oil guy) would you ? I do.;)

·
Registered
283 Posts
It's about time a manufacturer finally reccognizes the merrits of synthetics! 10,000 miles between changes on a vehicle that is predominantly driven on paved roads and using synthetics is perfectly acceptable and may even be overkill. Some of the tests I have read from oil analysis testing labs has shown that synthetics after 7,500 miles show no appreciable break down that would require changing. They did however mention that Turbo engines tend to require more frequent changes but should always use full synthetics because of the high heat produced in the turbo.

Gary
I will agree and disagree, making a blank statement saying a engine can go 10,000 miles on SNY on pavement is to broad a statement.. there are many UOA's contradict and verify both your statement.. depends on the application, the oil, driving conditions, engine conditions, lots, and lots of variables.. so i agree and disagree..

1 - 20 of 40 Posts