Polaris Ranger Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have 22 wooded acres with trails throughout. House is on top of a hill. Polaris is bringing one by to see if it will suit my needs here. I sure hope so because I would love to get rid of my Kubota Zero Turn and have a second UTV here. Wife and I can quit fighting over who is going to be using her/our 11 Ranger Crew....that just died. That is besides the point.

So, how is this handling going up hills?
Do the Bobcat attachments fit? If so, which ones?
How high does it lift the bucket/forklift? All the video's I have seen show about 2 feet.
Is there any suspension mods to this to give it more ground clearance?
Is there a bush hog attachment that will work with the Brutus? The tow behind Polaris one is a POS made by DR Horton. I want one that goes on the front.

I have a ton of questions, most of them will be answered with the Polaris Rep here.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I don't know much about the Brutus at all. I do know it has a hydrostatic transmission and is by no means easily compared to the standard Ranger. The Brutus I believe tops out at about 25mph if I remember correctly. Its a bit heavier as well.

As for attachments, its pretty limited to what it will handle the PTO I don't think is really meant for anything too heavy duty. Although I think there's some sort of mower attachment available. As far as a brush hog I don't think there is one for it, at least nothing that would work off the PTO on the front.

When it shows up at your property please take some pictures of it in action for us. Not too much talk around here on the forum of the Brutus that I've noticed.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I test drove one for two days. Polaris drop the ball on the Brutus. Slow slow and weak.
Anyone that tells you different is full of it. Its great for golf courses and driveways, not hills, mud or snow covered farms. And yes the dealer did the fix.

Heat and A/c worked great.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I test drove one for two days. Polaris drop the ball on the Brutus. Slow slow and weak.
Anyone that tells you different is full of it. Its great for golf courses and driveways, not hills, mud or snow covered farms. And yes the dealer did the fix.

Heat and A/c worked great.
It's a small tractor with side by side seating. It does exactly what it was designed for. Not everyone needs a 60+ mph toy. It runs faster and more comfortably than a skid steer, and I never once felt like I needed to go 45 while blowing snow or mowing. If you need to cover a bunch of ground like many farmers do, get a gasser.

·
Registered
20 Posts
It does not make it up slight grades and is slow and weak. Especially in light snow and wet grass, mud. I am not looking for a 60 mph toy. There is a know issue with the transmission and dealers were giving them away below cost. The fix does help but the machine needs to find a different transmission. The perfect place for the machine is a car lot and drive on pavement. The easiest way to explain it...its a diesel golf cart. Do not buy this machine unless you test drive it on your property.

I saw a new gravely the other day with the old transmission. Id look at that first and stay away from the treadle peddle.

·
Registered
115 Posts
It does not make it up slight grades and is slow and weak. Especially in light snow and wet grass, mud. I am not looking for a 60 mph toy. There is a know issue with the transmission and dealers were giving them away below cost. The fix does help but the machine needs to find a different transmission. The perfect place for the machine is a car lot and drive on pavement. The easiest way to explain it...its a diesel golf cart. Do not buy this machine unless you test drive it on your property.

I saw a new gravely the other day with the old transmission. Id look at that first and stay away from the treadle peddle.
No argument that it doesn't run like a gas Ranger. If you want to hit trails and cover lots of ground it's not the best option.

I disagree with your assessment of the brutus. It's a good machine for what I need, and have never had an issue climbing hills. I've got 1000+ hours on mine and it's never skipped a beat.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Purchased mine 3 weeks ago. So far so good, knew what I was buying. Not fast by all means, avg 23 to 25, dealer said command lever update done.

Saw a post somewhere that a guy easily got 25 and up to 33 mph by adjusting the hydro system.

I am looking for a service manual to research the above.

If you have one, or instructions on the service bulletin please it to me.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The fix does help but the machine needs to find a different transmission. The perfect place for the machine is a car lot and drive on pavement.
I've owned a Brutus for a couple months now. The hydrostatic transmission is the best thing about it. The sad fact is they ship them without properly adjusting the transmission and there seem to be very few dealers that know how to adjust them properly. My property is very hilly, there's not a flat spot to be found. I'm one of those who hate CVTs , I've had two Rangers and I swore I'd never buy another Polaris because of the CVT. I was waiting for the Honda Pioneer 1000 to come out but I really wanted to stick with a diesel engine so I decided to try a Brutus. I was hesitant because of all the reviews of poor performance on hills. When it arrived it was just like they say, it would barely go up hills. After some adjustments it's a very different machine. In stock form it will reach 32 mph in high range. It does about 15 up a hill where my diesel ranger could do 20. The big difference for me is just the way it drives. It's so much more controllable for doing work and for trail riding. No jerky clutch engagement or freewheeling down hills. It crawls over rocky trails like a Ranger with CVT could only dream of. Yes it's slow compared to a gas Ranger, and even a little slower than a diesel Ranger, but the drivability makes it a winner for me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts