Polaris Ranger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2021 1000 premium crew and it only has about 15 hours on it and since day one I have noticed when you put it in gear. Whether it’s forward or reverse when you first accelerate it makes a pop noise from the rear. Like it might be going into gear. It only does it when you first accelerate and seems to happen more when you switch from one gear to another. Sometimes you can be running, stop and then take off again and it wont happen.

I have a 2010 800HD that I sort of inherited and it does it at times but I just figured it was from age and rough use.
But with this 2021 I wasn’t expecting to hear the same thing. Is this from the belt slipping or should be worried its something more serious. It doesn’t seem to effect anything with power but was just something you wouldn’t expect to hear on brand new machine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I’d like to hear from others on this as well. I’ve got a 2021 crew XP1000, currently about 9hrs. I’ve noticed the same noise, exactly how you describe (first acceleration after being put In gear, L or H). I plan on riding it out for now (got extra year of warranty for ordering in Oct.). I’m definitely no expert, but it sounds like transmission/clutch engagement of some sort. Besides the pop noise, the machine runs and drives great.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Just slack in the drivetrain getting taken up.

In 18 the rear half of the belt cover went from plastic to aluminum thats on our rigs now. It acts like a megaphone and amplifies the sound. Sounds like a baseball bat getting rapped on a hollow tree. They all do it, nothing to worry about. If you want to get rid of the jerky engagement and quite it down. Gillomen Innovations has a nice clutch kit that will smooth it out and keep you from accidentally backing through you garage door from the jackrabbit starts the stock clutching provides.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just slack in the drivetrain getting taken up.

In 18 the rear half of the belt cover went from plastic to aluminum thats on our rigs now. It acts like a megaphone and amplifies the sound. Sounds like a baseball bat getting rapped on a hollow tree. They all do it, nothing to worry about. If you want to get rid of the jerky engagement and quite it down. Gillomen Innovations has a nice clutch kit that will smooth it out and keep you from accidentally backing through you garage door from the jackrabbit starts the stock clutching provides.
Thanks for the info. Glad to hear all normal.
I can drive to where its not as noticeable. The wife on the other hand takes the “jackrabbit start” to another level haha, no low speed close quarters driving for her.

I’ve been doing some reading on Gillomen. I can definitely see some of their parts coming my way in the future.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’d like to hear from others on this as well. I’ve got a 2021 crew XP1000, currently about 9hrs. I’ve noticed the same noise, exactly how you describe (first acceleration after being put In gear, L or H). I plan on riding it out for now (got extra year of warranty for ordering in Oct.). I’m definitely no expert, but it sounds like transmission/clutch engagement of some sort. Besides the pop noise, the machine runs and drives great.
I just purchased a 2021 polaris ranger crew cab xp 1000 I noticed mine does the same thing I have 15 miles on it and almost every time I take off it sounds like the rear drive shaft is smacking something underneath the rear of the machine gona call polaris this week did u ever find out if this is normal

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just purchased a 2021 polaris ranger crew cab xp 1000 I noticed mine does the same thing I have 15 miles on it and almost every time I take off it sounds like the rear drive shaft is smacking something underneath the rear of the machine gona call polaris this week did u ever find out if this is normal
Spaz pretty much summed it up nicely above. Mine still does it (has about 300 miles on it now). I haven’t been too worried about it. Machine runs and drives great.
It does sound bothersome, but I’ve spoken to a few others here locally with the same unit (crew and non crew) theirs does this as well.
Out of curiosity, I would like to know what your dealer tells you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've noticed the same thing on my 2021 xp premium. but usually only when i've gone from reverse to drive. i don't THINK mine clicks from park to drive or park to reverse. :)

i also don't like hearing it, but i'm glad to see others have it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
It is very common with most all Polaris UTV's... RZR , Ranger ...all
It is just the primary clutch engagement being abrupt and the slack in the driveline. Keeping the clutches clean and lowering engagement rpm helps

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2021 Ranger XP 1000 with 300 miles on it and every time I start from a dead stop it pops really loud.

·
Registered
63 Posts
My 2021 XP 1000 Ranger has done it since day one also. I was a bit worried also until I saw this thread.
I read on another forum that a primary spring and shim will help alot with the clunk/pop taking off. My ranger is literally taken apart on jack stands right now. Spring and shim should be here in a couple hours. curious if its gonna work. Supposedly it will allow the belt to engage at a lower rpm and more gentle. We'll see. I will report back when its on. The first time i drove the ranger down the street i thought i broke something. That loud clank is annoying.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Don't use the shim unless it's necessary to keep it from engaging at idle.
Yes that’s what I gathered from reading, I’m also going to make sure the belt is aligned properly before testing. We’re going on a weekend trip in Rzr right now so it will be Sunday before it goes back together. i had it apart waiting for it to be delivered but it showed up as we were leaving. Oh well. I shall report back Sunday. Thank you for the help so far!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts