Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new 2020 Ranger 1000. Has 23 hours on it, 85 miles. Tried to be careful with break-in time but we purchased it to work in our 2-acre backyard that is a fairly significant hill in the woods. The Ranger has to work hard just to get around. Most of the usage has been AWD in low gear. We've carried some heavy loads but mostly just driven it for fun.

We've only taken it on hard roads a few times, but used high gear 2WD without a problem. However, our neighborhood is very hilly, a good amount of long steep hills. So I haven't really been sure which gear I should use in the neighborhood. Done a little of both high and low. Today I was out doing some work in the neighborhood and I had a big problem in high gear with losing power.

This is an example of what was happening: On the downhill I'm in high gear and going at a pretty good clip with minimal throttle. As the grade softens and rises for the next hill, the ranger slows in a big way, almost stopping. Trying to get a feel for the problem I go full throttle and get little response. But if I stay full throttle (and by this time starting to head up a long hill) the engine eventually decides it wants to respond. It never gets real good because by now I'm on the uphill but something clearly wakes up.

I'm not real mechanical. Something is damaged and I definitely don't want to damage anything further. If it helps, there have been a few times I'm aware of when the instrument cluster showed the ranger was in gear, when in fact it wasn't quite (from day 1 it does this frequently). So it was run for short lengths when the driver realized it wasn't in gear. Now we're very careful.

I would not have known about this power loss problem while in our backyard as nothing is obvious in AWD low gear. In the backyard it does what we need it to do. The hard road drive exposed the problem.

I'm a long ways from a dealer but will do what I need to do. But I would like to know what you all think first.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
97 Views. 0 Responses. 97 people had enough interest to view it.

Ideas?

·
Registered
2018 OBS Ranger 1000 Crew
49 Posts
I’m curious about the driver seatbelt being clipped in as well. If not it’s extremely underpowered and governed. This thing should rip a any hill no problem

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Spaz and Josh82. Yes, we typically use seat belts so had forgotten about the interlock! We were making regular stops in the neighborhood so weren't wearing them. Mystery solved.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What is "Performance Mode"? Seat belt interlock was the issue but might be good to understand this also.

We absolutely love our Ranger. One of the best tools/toys ever purchased.

·
Registered
2018 OBS Ranger 1000 Crew
49 Posts
Can’t speak for your 2020 but my 18 has a switch on the dash that has perf./standard/work

1 - 8 of 8 Posts