Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never had much time in either a Rino or big Ranger, just my RZR.

I know the RZR has an easy time blowing off both but it's kind of like comparing apples to oranges. I've never heard much about how the two full size rigs stack up against each other.

I would expect Rino guys to say they beat Rangers and Ranger guys to say the opposite but whats the real deal?

Gary

·
Registered
167 Posts
ive always thought it was odd because to me theres a lot more rhinos out there than rangers. i see them at car shows all the time and i hear ppl talk about them more than rangers, but rangers flat out out-perform rhinos. polaris used to have a movie on their site that had a rhino, ranger, gator, mule etc all doing different things. i think it was called side by side shoot out or something along those lines, its probably on you tube now. it showed real footage of the ranger out performing all the rest by ten fold. i thought it was pretty funny to watch.

bottom line is, the ranger can haul more, tow more, go faster, and carry one more person than the rhino. i think its better :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
No comparison. Just ask a Yamaha or Kawasaki dealer to do a side by side comparison. Polaris actually advertises it right on the unit for you to see.

·
Registered
81 Posts
All my friends have rhino's and i did a lot of research on all of them before I bought my Ranger,we went on my first rough ride last Sunday and every one of them were talking how wide my ranger was and that it couldn't go were they could,I told them to lead the way and I would be right with them,there were 5 rhino's,1 razor,my Ranger and 2 4-wheelers,the first bad hill we went up 1 rhino had to winch up so did 1 four wheeler and the razor we had to tie a tow rope to the front end to hold it down to get him up over the spot,I had no problem what so ever with the ranger,we went through several deep mud holes I had no problem with them either and also in and out of trees either as a matter of fact one spot the rhino's had to back up to get lined up for a hill and my ranger would cut deep enough that i just went up it without backing up!I am very satisfied with it and have no regrets on buying it,I'll admit the rhino's and razor look a lot more sporty but I like what i got for what i want to do with it.All my friends after the ride admitted how impressed they were with it. O0

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"the first bad hill we went up 1 rhino had to winch up so did 1 four wheeler and the razor we had to tie a tow rope to the front end to hold it down to get him up over the spot"!

You can leave the Razor rider home if you ever come to ride my trails! He'll be riding around brown shorted all day long! :2funny:

I can't say I am real found of steep sideways hills in the RZR but neither are the Rino or Ranger guys.

Gary

·
Registered
81 Posts
live in the hills of east KY,if you ride ,you ride on steep hills!!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Everyone rides Rhino's around here as well. They all ? the ranger, however it has proven it can hang our out to most of them. Even the die hard rhino riders are impressed. Only challenge we have is that with the lift kit we are a little taller sometimes going under trees is a stop and go process. Otherwise all has been eeezzy peezzy.

T Potter we are neighbors, we are in WV!

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know exactly where you are and lived in the east KY hills just over the border from Williamson, WV.

All the trails there were a constant up and down no matter where you went. What I am refering to is those side hills where your machine is tilted 30 degrees from flat and you drive with your heart in your throat hoping it don't get much worse.

Around here in these mountains if you do roll in some spots you won't stop until you reach the bottom and that could be a long way down. Most of the riding down your way is on actual trail roads probably made by loggers or mining operations. We have lots of old logging and stage coach roads through our mountain but most are well over grown and many have some nasty wash outs where we need a teather line attached to the up hill side just to be safe getting past them.

I was always a pretty brave soul on my Sportsman 500 but the RZRs and Rangers or Rinos are deffinately alot less stable with the higher center of gravity.

Gary

·
Registered
40 Posts
We own one of each. I have an 06 Rhino and the wife has an 08 Ranger. Out of the box the Ranger is faster only because the stock Rhino is limited to 41 mph (about) by the CDI. Change out the box on the Rhino and it is pretty much a toss up for speed and take off. Ride is hands down the Ranger.Although a tilt wheel would be nice to help eliminate the bus driver feel. Performance off road is about equal. The rhino is a bit more sporty than the ranger with a bit better handling off road. I would say it breaks down to what you do with the unit. For add on items you can get a lot more after market stuff for a rhino as they are a lot more popular than the ranger for duners,racers and such. Over all I would say there is little honest difference between the two in capabilities for normal trail running with the usual mix of mud,hills,sand and such. In some places the Rhino rules in others the Ranger does. We have been on vacation the last few days and have put 250+ miles on both units and would say they both performed well. In my mind it is simply what brand you like best. :)

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can't argue with you at all on this one FA!

I have friends who love their Grizzlies and Rinos and others who love their Rangers and RZRs but they all break and I can't honestly say one is any different from the other.

Gary

1 - 10 of 10 Posts