Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I was given a Polaris Ranger 500 4x4 2004 last year.
It had a few problems with it which I am slowly getting through, thanks to RangerForums.Net and youtube.

The Polaris gets used on the farm for taking feed out to sheep around lambing time. In May last year the Polaris died as it arrived back in the yard. When I turned the key it just went clunk, which I knew from previous experience wasn't a flat battery but a duff starter motor.
I left it in the yard all through the summer and autumn.

Last month I ordered 2 tubes of OKO for the tyres and a starter motor.
Fitted the starter motor and blew up the tyres. Couldn't find the key!!

Ordered a new key and barrel, fitted the key and barrel and turned the ignition: Nothing. So I thought great the battery is flat. Bought a battery charger, plugged it in and then found that the battery was full and somehow the battery leads were loose.

Turned the key: The engine turned over but wouldn't start.
A cable that goes to the fuel pump had come undone from its connector, reattached and then turned the key: She fired up and I drove up and around the yard. Then she stopped. Took the seat off and found that when I started it and pressed the accelerator petrol was coming out of the carb overflow.

Looked on the internet for advice. Found a video on youtube of a man taking his carb apart on a ranger. This man showed me the way.....

I took the carb off the ranger, I undid the accelerator cable and as at that point I couldn't get the bowl off or the choke cable I undid the choke from the dash and threaded it through from the other end. Got the carb on the bench in the shed and took it very slowly apart. Found a small funny looking spring loose in the float bowl that is not on any ranger diagram??Blew it all out with carb cleaner and compressed air. (put the spring in a safe place). Screwed everything back in as I found it and put it back on the polaris.

Turned the key and it ran with out fuel going everywhere. It wouldn't tick over and then after 5 minutes it would stop. Then I couldn't get it to go. Acorrding to the internet the choke could be stuck on. Found out how to get the choke off. Took the whole carb off again and blew it all out and rebuilt - this time I screwed the mixture screw in all the way and counted out 2.5 times. Refitted the carb.

Turned the key and not only did it start first time with out the aid of the choke or accelerator but it ticked over steady for well over 5 minutes (at this point I did a little celebration dance around the shed).

With the seat replaced and new fuel in the tank I reversed out the shed and drove across the field.......

Now what I find is that when I put my foot down it seems flat and when I take my foot off it back fires. I don't want to adjust the carb again as I've got it to tick over. So as I have come this far I was hoping that someone could give me another push in the right direction.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Is it acceptable to run the Polaris and then turn the mixture screw whilst it is running? Also Am I correct in assuming that if I screw it in I am making it leaner and out for richer??

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Still waiting for some advice on the carb issue. Currently the Polaris will run on pootle (that's a little slow) but to get flat out you have to tinkle with the accelerator to get up to it, once there she runs great but then when you have to slow down for the bends, sheep or gates the coughing and backfire begins.

·
Registered
160 Posts
It sounds like something goofy with your accelerator ... maybe the accelerator pump even? Oh and by the way ... welcome.

This thing is slow sometimes for people to respond .. but I'm sure someone will chime in with something helpful.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: Today I tightened the choke cable and hey presto it goes like poo of shovel!
Don't know what that has to do with it but it works now. Next stage of the operation is to figure out why it grinds going into H from L at a stand still. Also if I'm flying round a bend and I ease of the gas it drops out of gear (H only).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update: Today I tightened the choke cable and hey presto it goes like poo of shovel!
Don't know what that has to do with it but it works now. Next stage of the operation is to figure out why it grinds going into H from L at a stand still. Also if I'm flying round a bend and I ease of the gas it drops out of gear (H only).
Today however it is back to an earlier stage of blowing fuel out of the overflow! Have put her back in the shed and told her she can come out when she's ready to behave!!:mad:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you may need to turn the idle down (lower rpm) for the shifting problem.
The idle speed seems to be fine. :eek:It lets me move fine from N to R and even from R to L it is just when you want to go from L to H. Also if it was the idle speed why would it drop out when I'm razzing round a bend??dunno

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Slackened the choke off and she now goes like before: flat spot and backfire. So I am slowly tightening the choke little by little day by day.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So now after many weeks I think I have finally do it!
The Polaris was backfiring and it had flat spots in acceleration. Then it flooded completely. I whipped the carb off the Polaris in under 5 minutes put it in the vice and I noticed the needle was all the way down. The clip had come off the top.
I undid the top of the carb, carefully removed the diaphragm and tipped out the three pieces, 2 rings and a clip. Looked on the website to see what order they go on. Put it all back together......
... I've just had a good old raz all over the farm and not once did she backfire, stall or fail to start after running!!
I think I'll leave the drive problem to the Polaris Mechanics up the road.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts