Polaris Ranger Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have a 2005 Ranger 500 4X4 Carb, last weekend My son took it to the Mudded fields, got stuck and rescued.

When he returned he told me that after he was pulled out of the mud he noticed the top speed is very low.
My observation is as follow:
Engine start is Ok, Gear shifting is OK, Engine RPM increasing well on Neutral.
The problem is that the acceleration is poor and top speed 15MPH Max!
Any help will be very much appreciated
Thanks
Gad

·
Registered
308 Posts
If engine RPM is okay, my next bet is the belt. Pull the belt cover and take a look.

·
Registered
5 Posts
belt is brand new already took it off and cleaned out clutch there was some water in there rusted a few weights i took off the clutch scrubbed it look off most of the rust everything was moving freely clutch seems fine unless there is some kind of bearings inside that need attention

·
Registered
20 Posts
Check the muffler to make sure that the mud didn't stop up the outlet on the muffler. I have seen this on many Polaris ATV's after the rear tires sling mud.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Also check the air intake, try taking the tube off the inlet and drive be careful not to get anything in the intake though. maybe put a sock or something over the intake

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi ll,
First thank you for your answers.
I finally open the belt cover and even replaced the belt (although the belt looks normal) as i saw on the video on YouTube.
There is no change on the Ranger behavior.
I did notice one different between the belt on the video and mine; mine was very loose! I didn't need to pull it to make it loose for replacing. It seems like the Primary clutch (On the left) is not pulling the belt.
Any suggestion would be much appreciated

1 - 7 of 7 Posts