Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently stripped the Left Rear Axle on my 2002 Ranger. The female end of the axle at the rearend is worn badly. The rear end spindle looks good. I can't find the axle anywhere and really not sure how to fix it. I locked the differential so that the right side pulls. Problem is, I'm having to use the 4wd a lot because it spins out with only that one side breaking away..

The part Number is 1380203 but says unavailable. Thought about welding, but not a lot of room to weld at the end, and you would have to make sure it was lined up straight so as not to wobble.....:(

Pics attached

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the same exact problem on my series 10 ranger. Did you find any answers to this problem? I thought of drilling a hole in the axle inserting a roll pin or drilling a couple hole and welding.

·
Registered
2005 Ranger XP 800
93 Posts
The '09 uses a double a-arm independent rear with CV axles. @Moorebilt14 you might have a broken CV joint?
The Series 10 had a solid rear axle.
For the Series 10 folks, you might have some luck taking the axle to a driveshaft shop, they could probably cut off and weld on a new spline insert.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am having the same exact problem on my series 10 ranger. Did you find any answers to this problem? I thought of drilling a hole in the axle inserting a roll pin or drilling a couple hole and welding.
No, not yet. Kinda revisiting the idea of how to repair. The welded insert mentioned below may work......

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello I run into the same problem with my uncles side by side which is a Polaris ranger 500 2001 series 10 I ordered a 7/8 Square collar from rural King and squared the axle coming out of the gearbox to fit the 7/8 collar turned it down to fit axle tube and welded it and it worked great.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Hello I run into the same problem with my uncles side by side which is a Polaris ranger 500 2001 series 10 I ordered a 7/8 Square collar from rural King and squared the axle coming out of the gearbox to fit the 7/8 collar turned it down to fit axle tube and welded it and it worked great. View attachment 24348 View attachment 24349 View attachment 24350
Great Idea!! Maybe beyond the scope of what i can do. Do you have any more pics? So did you cut the axle sleeve off and toss it, and then weld the collar to the remaining axle? Did you cutoff the exact length of the collar from the axle?? Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
and how did you square off the shaft? did you remove it from the gearcase? if so, is that a big job?

·
Registered
13 Posts
and how did you square off the shaft? did you remove it from the gearcase? if so, is that a big job?
Sorry I do not have anymore pictures. but yes I cut the shaft on the weld it is pressed in the tube after you cut the weld you should be able to jar it with a hammer and get it out of the tube. I used a grinding wheel on a 4 1/2 “ grinder then a flapper wheel to fine-tune it keeping it cool with a wet paper towel. no I didn’t remove it from the gearbox. I will try and see if I have any more pictures hope that helps.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sorry I do not have anymore pictures. but yes I cut the shaft on the weld it is pressed in the tube after you cut the weld you should be able to jar it with a hammer and get it out of the tube. I used a grinding wheel on a 4 1/2 “ grinder then a flapper wheel to fine-tune it keeping it cool with a wet paper towel. no I didn’t remove it from the gearbox. I will try and see if I have any more pictures hope that helps.

This is a picture of the part number that I purchased from Rural King online.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts