Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to purchase a new ranger. I have been told I don't want the 700 because the motor puts out to much heat in the cab, ecspecially in the summer. Is this true?

·
Registered
133 Posts
It was true, but they fixed the heart problem with the 08's. As for which one, I tried to talk my dad into the 500. He is the type of man that would never know the difference in the power. It really depends What your buying it for. But then again, alot of folks have the 500 and they can do and go every where the 700's can. They just can't pull as much or go as fast.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
What is the price difference? What are you doing with it? And once you purchase it there is no going back for the bigger one! I do a lot of steep grade hill climbing and like to play on waterfalls and such. I also load mine down with firewood and other camping supplies. I have the 700 and would not change it other than going bigger.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a 2006 500 and it is used mainly for working around the property. Used it all summer towing a trailor with 2 fifty five gallon barrels up from a creek. Few years back the creek had been dammed up by beavers, when the beavers left there was 2 to 3 feet of sand and silt along the creek. The ranger had more than enough torque and power to get through. I have not driven one of the 700s, but if I was going to buy one today I would go with the 500.

·
Registered
88 Posts
700 - if you have the money go with the 700. We have a couple of friends with 500's. It always seems like we are waiting on them. Especially with we are going on long up hill runs. I surprised my husband with our 07 Orange Crush XP - he looked at the 500's and was going to settle for one of those. Instead I went all out (as most women do) he is now very thankful that I didn't allow him to make his own decision. LOL! We now want more power.

·
Registered
345 Posts
When I was buying my 08, I think the price difference was only like $1500.00. I had a friend with a 500 and as soon as I got the 700, he went and traded up. For the minimal difference in price, go for it!

·
Registered
317 Posts
I am happy with my 500 I bought it because I couldnt go any deeper in debt for another toy, and it was already over my budget at the time ::)

But after getting it, it is plenty fast enough for me and my family. No one is ever waiting for us anywhere I think the 700 is really just a few miles per hour faster anyway.

You go on these sites and the 700 guys are always talking about broken motor mounts, overheating, breaking belts ...
The 500 seems to be a more dependable machine ??? (not trying to start anything :angel:)

I would gladely trade dependapility over a few miles per hour ;)

·
Registered
88 Posts
I don't think it is a speed issue. More like pulling power up the hills. So far (knock on wood) we haven't had any problems. Motor mount problems were a factory issue on some models. I think it all depends on how and where you ride. Realistically I think you would be happy with either because Rangers just rock.

·
Registered
104 Posts
They are both great and proven machines. I would test drive them and then compare the specs and see which one will work best for you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hey i recently got the new 500 and test drove both and the cost 2500 $ and the 10 horsepower and 8 miles an hour i dont even notice it is great machine so far if you got the bucks though go for the best.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was going to get the 500, but 2 different dealers quoted me only $700 more for the 700 (current incentives?) over the 500 so I said what the heck.

I'm sure I'd have been plenty happy with a 500.

One thing that surprised me, the 700 sure is quiet.

I don't "feel" the power in it like I do on my V-twin quad.
Good thing though, I'm trying to play safer these days ;).

·
Registered
29 Posts
well actually, before '08, both the 500's and 700's put alot of heat out in the cab. i'd recommend the 700 because it has more power, doesn't blow belts as easy as the 500's.

·
Registered
29 Posts
your choice

it's your decision. but in '06 the ranger 500 didn't have EFI. well at least mine didn't. but it's carbureted., but it starts with no issues in 10 degree weather. one thing that sucks is that when you have a windshield, top and back, when you have been riding for a long time, it gets really hot inside the cab. we have the vent kit from pure polaris to fix the problem. it works really well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Do you have a part number for this vent kit? I just added a windshield to my 2006 500 EFI and the cab gets hot. I couldn't find anything on the Polaris website...Thks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts