Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 Ranger XP 800 Crew with no aftermarket accessories (except the steel door kit). Last summer my starter would pause when I tried to start the ranger and finally over a couple weeks wouldn't turn over all. Took batteries to dealer to have tested. they said they were dead and I wasn't making long enough trips to put a charge back on them. My average trip around the farm is 3-4 minutes, some longer ones for about 20. Put 2 new batteries in and a trickle charger the dealer sold me. My unit is equipped with a battery separator and I have been charging the batteries individually about every 2 weeks or so.

Slowly the same problem developed. longer and longer pauses starting until the batteries were dead again completely. Charging helped for about 3 trips then dead again. Tried swapping batteries across the separator and the other one was dead too.

Periodically I could hear a relay clicking under the hood when the key was off and unit was sitting. Like I said I have no aftermarket electronics and headlights and other stuff should be separated by the battery isolator. Once the AWD relay continuously clicked at the rear end when I turned the key on. I switched the switched on the dash to the AWD position and it stopped. Only did that once.

Has anyone else had problems like this or does anyone else have suggestions? I can't afford to buy new batteries every year.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will try and give it a shot running just one and try and wire direct to starter. Mine came stock with the battery separator. One side does just starter off it's own battery and the other side runs all the stock accessories off the second battery.

·
Registered
442 Posts
The click you hear in the rear end might be the coil that actuates the turf mode. That coil draws, I believe, 3-5 amps. If it's hanging up or the relay is for some reason staying closed when the key is off it would definitely be capable of draining the batteries. If you turn the key off, disconnect the grounds on the batteries then touch the ground wire to the battery ground post and get a decent spark you know something is drawing on the batteries that shouldn't be. If that pans out I'd start pulling fuse and or relays until it doesn't spark as much. Once you find the fuse that cures the spark you're on the trail to success.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice. If time permits the fourth I will try and narrow it down. I will post any results, good or bad, when I figure something out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts