Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello new to forum great site looking for advice about polaris i have 06 ranger xp 700 with 425 hrs. i use it 90% of time on cattle farm 10% hunting {used not abused!} i have replaced all original factory cvboots, 4 gas caps, 1 gas tank and still leaks 1 left fr axle ,1 head light bulb,1 ecm , 1 muffler guard , and now it is not wanting to idle. this seems to be a lemon but after lookiong online i notice alot of polaris problems. i am considering trading just not sure which direction to go ,if someone could comment on normal hour life of ranger or do you know any rangers with excessive hours would be very helpful in making decision. without a doubt it is the smoothest riding hardest working machine it just doesnt want to work when i need it to!

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I'm not so sure I can agree with your observations cukabur.

The stuff you have replaced on your almost 5 year old Ranger does not seem excessive to me at all. 425 hours is not that big a deal but how hard you have worked it may be. Not saying there is abuse but depending upon how hard the machine is worked will determine some normal maintenance issues that will require attention.

You did not say what the gas cap problem is or why the gas tanks develop leaks.

I am willing to bet if you bought another brand of machine and employed it in the same duty you would be on another forum asking very similar questions.

UTVs can be tanks at times but none of them are unbreakable and I have not found a better machine than my Polaris's have been for me. Most of these machines get ridden hard and put up wet all the time so we should all expect some failures along the way. A buddy broke a front axle on his RZR with 4 hours on the clock. The operative term here is that HE broke it and he freely admits he was way to stuck and pushed it way too hard. I tore 2 CV boots on one ride through the woods and 2 other guys with me on different machines also tore theirs.

I guess you have to ask yourself if a Ford, Dodge or Chevy pick up would have done the same work and not had any problems. Then add in the size, weight and cost differences and see what machine is best for the work you do.

Also keep in mind while surfing the web and ATV forums that most of the things you read come from guys who never say a word when their machines are performing fine but squawk loud when they break. It is the nature of us all to complain when things break and I know for sure you can read the same kinds of complaints at the Rino & Mule forums.

Gary

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for reply ! The Gas Leak Issue-has leaked since it was new dealer replaced caps {4} then the tank finally said bad design. The Maintenance -I change oil and filter at factory recommendations also clean air filter, then every sept. dealer does yearly service @{$168.92} Also my ranger was bought new in fall of 06 so its almost 4yrs. old not 5. I can honestly say i dont feel this machined has been abused in anyway {overloaded,overtowed,buried in mudholes or some creek it mostly used to check cows, fence ,the winter time it hauls 3 to 5 five gallon buckets of crushed feed and an occasional deer or turkey hunt. In closing I am not partial to any one brand of utv /atv or another , nor am i trying to argue one is better than the other. I just felt my maybe someone would comment " i had problems or no i have not had any problems i have this amount of hrs and so on" .$10,000 is alot money for any utv and I guess you could say this is part of my home work for solving my problems .Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
It doesn't sound like you do much in the line of hard work with yours. Much the same as my RZR, carry some fire wood, plow the snow and check the perimeter of 120 acres every few days or so.

I do all my own maintenance and use the machine on our hunting property in the fall and have had no serious issues at all so far. The stuff I broke on it was my own fault and can't go against Polaris in any way. I am sure I don't have near the hours that you have on my 2008 but I expect it to be fine for a long time to come.

Plenty of members here have had some issues with their RZRs and Rangers similar to what you have had but I still can't determine if this is a Polaris exclusive. The guys I hunt with have all the various brands of UTVs and we have seen them all break at one time or another. One guy had a Mule he absolutely hated. He traded it in for a Rino and hates it but he is anti Polaris and has nothing good to say about them for some unknown reason. All I know is Polaris's have dragged him out twice now and he is a moron when he gets running with us so we expect him to break. Of all the UTVs in our group there is no doubt my RZR is the most sure footed of the bunch when we get in tight trails and on steep hill sides. I can almost always go in 2 wheel drive when they need the 4x4 locked. We do have one older Rino that has been through all sorts of nasty trails and ridden very hard for a long time that refuses to break. Even been upside down a couple of times and still going strong all be it a little crooked. In a race my RZR takes them all but for carrying a heavy load like a deer or bear out we use a 700XP and it does that best.

Gary

·
Registered
3 Posts
have a 08 efi 4x4. use mine on cattle farm as well as trail ridding. only had one problem with mine and it was totaly my fault. huge tree across trail. in 4x4 wheels turned. broke front axle assembly by jerking the tree out of road. tree moved out of road though. my atv guy said that these rangers are actually alot better built than most of the others (rhino,mule, ect..). if i didn't trail ride and just worked it in the field and wanted to get another brand i would get a kabota. no good for trail ridding but tuff in the field. the 3 cyl diesel eng is great. i have the same eng in a lawn tractor and have had it for 25yrs or so no problems still runs great. just a matter of how you want to use it. good luck

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I have to agree with you Pinecrestfarms.

My neighbor across the street has a 4000 acre wildlife preserve with fish ponds and deer all fenced in. He has a Kubota that he carries fish food, hay and deer food all over the place with and it is a true work horse that he claims never breaks. He also has a Rino for when he wants to play because the Kubota is slow and rough riding and not up to being much fun.

I let him take my RZR for a spin and he was amazed and loved it but he won't get one because he has nephews who he is sure will be here all the time if he does. He is buying a full size ranger this spring, not sure which one but he can certainly afford what ever he likes. The Rino has been broken too many times when he wanted to ride his property and his local dealer has not done the right things by this fellow.

I have a sneaking suspicion he will get a Ranger crew all decked out because he is an older fellow who enjoys fishing in his ponds and taking his friends and business associates with him while hunting and scouting the deer. He has jeep roads all through his preserve but he really enjoyed the RZR when we took it off the path and right through the woods to a water falls where the Rino had to be towed from by the Kubota because of a broken axle. He also has a John Deere that his workers use and it is never taken off the roads because it always gets stuck.

I wish I could take the rino for a spin so I could get a feel of how they perform but it sure does not appear to be as sturdy as any Ranger I have seen.

Gary

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would just like to throw some info out there for you, I believe that the Ranger is very dependable and able to withstand lots of extreme use. Out here in Iraq, the military uses these Rangers for a variety of applications. Some are more worn than others, but of the 8 that I have at just my motorpool the hours are; 478, 936, 940, 993, 1037, 1103, 1267, 1431. All but one is up and running with only minor repairs required and two having and/or had somewhat major electical problems. One 6 wheeler Ranger was even made into a "limo" by fabricating 3 ranger front cabs together length wise. The one that I drive daily gets about 40 hours a month and is subject to extreme heat (120-130 degrees), exteme dust/sand, rough terrain, and constant stop and go. And with so many different people driving these vehicles nobody does maintance like they should just as if nobody ever cares about a rental car. That being said and having driven friend's other varients of UTV's, I greatly believe that the Ranger/Razor is the best bang for the buck and would give you the longest life given the proper maintenance and care. I hope that I have given you some usable information. Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
im not writing a long message like everyone else but i can say i have owned over 4 four wheelers (all polaris 2001+ years) and owned 2 rangers (2008 and 2009) either way u go polaris is going to be the very best option, rhino? a definite no if u have boot problems on polaris get a rhino matters tend to get twice as bad. Soo my advice to you is polaris there no doubt the BEST utv on that market and there is absolutly no comparison. I have owned, saw, seen, watch, almost every utv atv out there not impressed by alot of them besides the polaris. the 2010 polaris ranger 500 EFI is twice as good as the 2010 660 rhino, more seat room, bigger bucket, smoother riding, twice as good break power, and they can haul almost twice as much. So u do the math and tell me what u come up with :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts