Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Gang,

Forgive me if this topic has already been discussed, but I've searched the forum posts and can't find a definitive answer.

I have a 2013 EV and am wondering if there are paths to increase the top speed, even moderately(maybe 5mph)? Interested to hear your thoughts on the various approaches, including:

• Li-Ion upgrade kits (expensive and not an option for me, but am curious what the true gains are in top speed, if any)
  • Larger tires (seems like a marginal approach, and will affect torque)
  • Motor swap (any OEM's offer this, and what's the swap process like?)
  • Software hacks?
  • Other ideas (please no comments about losing weight or driving down steep hills)
So, obviously I have no clue about any of this and don't want to get flamed. I'm more just curious and haven't seen any definitive posts about this.

Thanks for anyone who has the patience to respond.

Jay

·
Registered
421 Posts
Yes covered before. Not practical motors peed is the key and it already at its realistic top speed. The power output also goes down as the RPM rises, so even f you did up the RPM your power requirement would go up.
Li Ion will make no difference, other than reduction of load by shedding weight.
On a specific customers very non standard Ranger I have upped the max to 7000, but its still around 27mph on the GPS Speedo. Larger diameter tyres could up the speed, but would also require higher power output. Just accept the Ranger EV for what it is .

·
Super Moderator
373 Posts
Most states require this type of vehicle to have a top speed of less than 25 MPH; several states allow 30 MPH. Polaris took the path of least trouble and limited the EV to 24 MPH. It can be set via software. But let's be real, is 5 MPH worth the effort?

·
Registered
421 Posts
You cant get another 5mph without going well over 7000rpm. My customer wanted to get to 30mph and I reckoned it would need to go over 7800rpm. I really wouldnt want to push the motor that far. Its really not worth the work or the risk of motor damage.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Most states require this type of vehicle to have a top speed of less than 25 MPH; several states allow 30 MPH.
You should stop spreading FUD, it looks quite bad considering your moderator status. There are no legal limits on the speed of these vehicles for off-road use. Many non-EV Polaris models can reach speeds of 40-50MPH. The limits you're citing apply to LSV-vehicles, and most Rangers aren't suitable for LSV use out of the box anyway. Given OP didn't claim the intention to increase the speed of a legal LSV, there is absolutely no reason to pollute the conversation with your personal paranoia.

·
Vendor
243 Posts
Are you EV guys really looking for more power/speed? We've considered playing with tunes. Would you guys be interested?

·
Registered
696 Posts
Are you EV guys really looking for more power/speed? We've considered playing with tunes. Would you guys be interested?
I would be interested to know if you could do it without us having to ship the Sevcon Motor Controller to you.

And you do know the motor is three phase AC, don't you.

·
Registered
421 Posts
You cant really get more out of the Std motor, re programming the SEVCON isnt going to resolve the problem. The motor and bearings / encoder are really at about their limit. Might be interesting to see what RPM you could go to. You need about 7800 to hit 30mph.Std is around 6500 at 24. But power is already going to run out on the std motor at higher RPM. Reliability will decrease as will heat build up . Heat is a big issue. Solution would be higher gearing set, or a higher speed more powerful motor.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the ongoing convo guys. I appreciate all the input and it sounds like this topic continues to evolve.

With the advances in electric motors, I'm wondering if there's the potential for some motor mfg to create a higher rpm/powered motor that could replace the stock motor. As GrumpyB said, I'd be concerned about stressing the stock motor beyond the ~7500rpm range, so that may be a non-starter. But, with the continued growth of the electric motor industry, seems like someone would look at a motor we could retrofit into the drive train.

Also, just the gain of 5-7mph could be a difference maker. I mean, that's a 20%+ jump in performance.

Even so, thanks again for the feedback.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Dont forget that the torque available in high is already cut back, for a number of reasons, ie Limiting current draw at high speed, limiting heat build up and cut back from high current draw. Keeping battery range usable, and enabling the std batteries not to be significantly damaged by excessive power draws for longer time. Lead would soon lose ability to delivery constant high loads, and would therefore shorten pack life. Its all a compromise, and changing one part of that compromise will impact on the other aspects. If looking seriously at a higher speed version, then the following are points to address
Speed rating of the tyres.
Capability of the battery pack to delivery higher outputs for longer
Range requirements
Motor physical size and ability to fit under the bed.
Ability of the gear casing to hold different gearsets and the required bearing sizes.
WIth much higher loads and speeds, the central driveshaft may require redesign with a centre bearing.
Increase in size of power cables,
Potential replacement of main contactor.
Installation of Sevcon controller cooling Passive heat sink or active liquid cooling (the latter more effective)
Motor cooling.
Etc Etc
You can sart to see why Polaris called a halt where they did, and why we have the vehicle we have.

If you wish to have a faster electric vehicle, it would probably be simpler and cheaper to take a Petrol or diesel vehicle capable of higher road speeds and simply convert that to Electric power. But again, most lower power EV motors are not sealed, so low mounting could be an issue with water (hence why Polaris went for the high mounting position in the Ranger EV). Off we go on the compromise trail again.

Great discussion.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts