Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 Ranger EV and one issue I have with it (among others) is that it tends to lurch forward in low gear, then slow, then lurch, then slow. It is especially bad if I floor it (which is necessary sometimes when climbing ridges). Has anyone else experienced this? Thoughts on what might cause it? Fixes?
I have to say, if I could do it over again, I'd definitely go for a gas-powered vehicle! Just way too many problems with the EV!

·
Registered
343 Posts
1. Make sure, per operators manual, when changing modes of DIRECTION F>N>R>N>F, SPEED High> Endurance>Low>Endurance>High or DRIVE 4wd>2wd>1wd>2wd>4wd vehicle is STOPPED.

2. Gas/Diesel engines have a gradual increase in available torque form zero to maximum speed; whereas electric motors have 100% of torque available immediately at any speed. The key is to gradually and gingerly increase acceleration especially in LOW SPEED mode as in this mode the torque available is the highest.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I have a 2014 Ranger EV and one issue I have with it (among others) is that it tends to lurch forward in low gear, then slow, then lurch, then slow. It is especially bad if I floor it (which is necessary sometimes when climbing ridges). Has anyone else experienced this? Thoughts on what might cause it? Fixes?
I have to say, if I could do it over again, I'd definitely go for a gas-powered vehicle! Just way too many problems with the EV!
Instead of flooring it, try slowly pressing the pedal.

I have experienced what you described, on a very steep creek bank. I think the motor current maxed out, then the controller turned it back on.

·
Registered
422 Posts
In low range the EV will lurch a little. The top speed on low range is governed and when you reach that speed the EV will tend to slow down and that may be the lurching that you describe. Hope the explanation helps

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate all the feedback. Typically, I do come to a complete stop before changing gear modes. I also slowly increase speed (esp in low gear). However, by the time I get anywhere close to max speed in low gear (even halfway pressing the pedal), the vehicle lurches, slows, then lurches. I can only avoid it by going REALLY slow in low gear. Something has got to be wrong; I just can't figure out what. The controller was recently replaced (for a different issue) and that didn't fix the problem.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I appreciate all the feedback. Typically, I do come to a complete stop before changing gear modes. I also slowly increase speed (esp in low gear). However, by the time I get anywhere close to max speed in low gear (even halfway pressing the pedal), the vehicle lurches, slows, then lurches. I can only avoid it by going REALLY slow in low gear. Something has got to be wrong; I just can't figure out what. The controller was recently replaced (for a different issue) and that didn't fix the problem.
Does it do this on flat ground also??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nope, I haven't found out what is causing it. Then again, that's because it has been in and out (mostly in) the shop for months. It really heats up in low gear going up/down hills, and eventually the dummy light comes on and it stops. No one can seem to figure out what's going on and Polaris is no help at all. Really regret buying a Polaris EV.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The described problem happened to me often when the batteries were going out, even if fully charged; and once prior when I had a bad battery terminal. After I replaced the batteries, the problem you described disappeared.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ev lurching in low

I have battled this exact problem with my ev. It will lurch/stall out if in low going up incline. It will do it on level ground too but worse going up hill. Polaris dealership had no idea and no help from Polaris. We have not put in new batteries yet. I have checked all battery connections. I want to make sure that buying new batteries will fully fix this problem before spending more bucks on this thing. I need it for hunting or I would use my gas powered ranger. Anyone know of other electric four wheel drive vehicles that are better than this Polaris. This thing has been a pain in the ass but I need electric.

·
Registered
422 Posts
My Ev has done it since new. Seems to do it when going up vey steep hills and you accelerate. When the Ev was new the Dealer changed the motor thinking that it was a motor issue. That did not solve the problem and the new motor did the same thing. The Ev seems to do it mostly when the batteries are not fully charge. I have seen many Ev's with the same issue thus making me think that this is inherent of the motor demanding more amperage than what the batteries can give. Befor buying new batteries I would have your batteries checked. I forgot to mention that I replaced my batteries and that did not slve the problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts