Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I'm seeking any input you all may have regarding some issues I've been experiencing with my 2015 Ranger EV.

Here in the last couple months I've noticed some sever power loss while going up hill. This power loss is not a slow tapered loss, like you would experience if your batteries were at or near dead. But rather it is a jerking, in and out, in and out, power loss. I only experience it going up hill.

Battery posts had some pretty bad corrosion about a month ago. Cleaned them up and sprayed them down with a preventative. Fill with distilled water regularly. I don't think its is a battery issue. To me it seems more like a motor, transmission, differential issue.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
408 Posts
It’s sometimes a controller issue but more times than not it’s 1 or more batteries not performing up to par. If and when the batteries can’t deliver the required amperage the jerking starts. We had a controller issue on one machine but this one would barely go up even small inclines. On other machines though we experience issues on steep inclines. Newer batteries definitely perform better than older or damaged ones. Also make sure all your connections are clean and snug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks sawtooth.. Well yes the issue makes even a polite hill a struggle... hopefully though its is "only" a battery cell issue.. though they are brand new TROJAN 1275's.. one battery (when tested independently) was only reading 10.5v.. ( the rest were at 12.2v, which surprised me as they were all connect for a few days, so expected them to equalise )..

Im also getting a 2 RED blinks when trying to charge the EV.. maybe these elements are connected...

IVe given a dedicated 10 meter 20 amp feed to the charger.
Also checked all connections.. I have a 2010 but it has the newer Delta-Q charge controller.. so hopefully thats not the fault..

So far Ive invested over 6.k pounds in my EV and its only managed about 200 meters of use !! very frustrating..

Any advice very welcome.. the EV is still stationary.. !! and Im walking everywhere on our 20 acre property !!! HUFFF

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
491 Posts
With one at 10+v and the rest at 12v that will be a problem.It will also pull down the voltage on the other string. If you have changed the algorithm in the delta q then it will be less capable of cooking the pack to get it balanced. I would suggest that you disconnect both strings and charge the low battery separately so that it matches the rest . Leave it for 24 hrs and check it again, if its dropped back down then its likely you have a duff battery. Then reconnect both strings and try a charge.
If the low voltage battery is the first in the string, then check on the draw from the 12v bleed connection.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the advice.. I havnt been able to change the Algorithm as yet.. because of the 2 blink issue.. only gives me 2 cycles of : 7 > 3.. then goes to red blinks..

Ill unhook the duff one and give it a charge.. thanks for the advice

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey again,.. so the malfunction continues..

Separated the batteries and charge individually up to lowest 12.5v, highest 13.4 volts .. (one was at only 8.5 when I started to charge it... but recovered) left them for 24 hours and checked all were holding their charge..

Reconnected everything.. and the charger again only giving 2 RED FLASHES..

Advice so so welcome.. !!

·
Registered
491 Posts
Thats low voltage being seen by the charger. Disconnect the mains.
At the rear of the sevcon is a three fuse wide, fuse holder. The central fuse is the charger and these do burn out. On the main contactor is a multiway positive connector, these also burn. If these are the problem, use a decent new inline fuse holder , larger than the original mini blade. Put a m8 ring terminal on one of the flying leads. Work out which of the two leads to the fuse goes to the charger. Cut this close to the three way fuse holder. Splice this to the new fuse holder. Put shrink sleeve over the joint. Now undo the terminal on the main contactor where the multi plug is connected (Pack side of the contactor) . Be careful this is the live terminal to the pack put the 8mm ring terminal on and re tighten.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks so much for the detailed input Mr Grumpyb... will get back with some feedback..

Just incase these items are related... The EV is also draining batteries at an alarming rate.. dropped a third of its charge (on the dash reader and when tested non multimeter) in about 200 meters.. should be more like 10 kilometres for that drop..

·
Registered
263 Posts
I think you still have a battery or two that are weak. The range indicator measures overall pack voltage.

If it drops by one third that quick ...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts