Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, been troubleshooting this for a while now.. running out of ideas..

I have a 2014 Ranger 800 EFI Midsize - when the machine is already running, and the brake is pressed, the starter engages. It started as an intermittent issue, but happens 99% of the time now. When I disconnect the 'brake safety/pressure switch'.. it stops, and everything works as normal. (Of course however, I need that connected to start the bike).

Additionally, when the ignition is turned 'ON', and the brake is engaged, the bike starts. This is WITHOUT turning the key over to the 'START' position before springing back. So again, without turning the key to start the bike, the bike starts as long as the key is 'ON' and the brake is pressed.

I have replaced the solenoid, battery, ignition, brake safety switch, checked all the grounds.. have had a multimeter checking all the accessories (no issues) etc etc.... I'm running out of options. I've had it looked at with a polaris mechanic and he was also unable to find the issues. First he told me the solenoid, nope.. then he thought safety switch.. nope. (I will note, when I replaced the solenoid, the issues went away for about 3 hours of riding before coming back...). The [new] battery drains SOMETIMES, if I leave it for a few days. I've left it for a week without starting, starts with full charge. Have left it for 2 days, dead battery. I don't get it.

It's like something is failing to tell the starter system that the bike is already running.

Can't find any bad grounds; cleaned em all up and checked. I literally have no idea where this electrical gremlin is coming from, and nor does it seem the dealer knows.. ANY ideas at all?

·
Registered
207 Posts
A short in the system?

Sounds as though you may have a short somewhere in the system. A clue is the fact that: you replaced the solenoid and had the problem resolved for a short period of time: the starter engages when switched to the "on" position: the battery drains when left for a period of time. These clues lead me to conclude the short is somewhere between the battery and the solenoid enabling electrical current to bypass the ignition switch. Check for frayed wiring or loose connections between those points.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hey batman2u, thanks for the reply.. I have to agree with you on the short. Looked everywhere but obviously I'm missing it.. My other thought on this - is if it is a short, how come when I pull the 'brake safety switch' (while bike is running) everything works as normal. ie. when brake is engaged the starter does not. Does this mean this short is somewhere in the same circuit as the brake safety switch?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts