Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for all the posts. I just got a 2015 Polaris Ranger, and everything looks really good on it. I think the previous owner took very good care of it. The only think is the oil gas a small scent of gas to it. He said he’s always used Polaris brand lubricants. Is this normal?

·
Super Moderator
2,232 Posts
It happens sometimes if you only make short trips and more so in cold weather.
I would just change the oil and keep a nose on it.
Under normal use of longer trips you shouldn't have this problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I’ll order an oil change kit. You think it’s ok to drive it in the mean time before it arrives?

·
Super Moderator
2,232 Posts
I don't know really. It depends on how diluted the oil is. If it is just a small amount of gas it might be okay and it might evaporate it out of the oil when it warms up but if it is diluted very much it cuts the lubrication qualities of the oil considerably and can cause problems pretty quickly.
If you have a walmart near by you can pick up some Shell Rotella T-6 5w-40 and change it out to that until you can get the Polaris oil. I know, it is diesel oil but thousands of people use it in their sxs's and motorcycles with good results and have for years. I use it in my 570 Ace and I have it in my 900 Ranger now but I am going to switch both back to Polaris PS4 next change to see if it will go farther between changes. I am needing to change the T6 around 40 hours according to my smell test.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know really. It depends on how diluted the oil is. If it is just a small amount of gas it might be okay and it might evaporate it out of the oil when it warms up but if it is diluted very much it cuts the lubrication qualities of the oil considerably and can cause problems pretty quickly.
If you have a walmart near by you can pick up some Shell Rotella T-6 5w-40 and change it out to that until you can get the Polaris oil. I know, it is diesel oil but thousands of people use it in their sxs's and motorcycles with good results and have for years. I use it in my 570 Ace and I have it in my 900 Ranger now but I am going to switch both back to Polaris PS4 next change to see if it will go farther between changes. I am needing to change the T6 around 40 hours according to my smell test.
I gave it a good, hard ride and it seems to be better. Thanks for your help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts