Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told you could not register a Ranger in NY because it is too heavy.. Where do you go to get it registered.. I know most commercial places want registration and insurance

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I honestly don't have an answer here because I own a registered Ranger RZR that is just under the 1,000 pound weight. I always thought that all ATV/UTVs in NY had to be registered and insured through the DMV and never heard of any weight restrictions.

I know for sure there are plenty of full sized Rangers that ride with the Sullivan County ATV association on their runs and they are all registered & insured or they can't go.

Check with your dealer or with Cycle Motion in Middletown who is the Polaris dealer here.

Gary

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was my Polaris dealer that told me about the restriction.. He also said many will register it in PA ( which allows out of state registration ) and NY will recognize that registration. Could ask one of your ranger club members where they register.... Where do you ride in Sullivan county.

Thanks
Tom

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I will do some checking about this and post here.

I am a member of a private hunt club and we lease close to 3000 acres and can ride there in the off hunting seasons. I can't bring guests because of the rediculous insurance restrictions and the club rules that would get me tossed out.

It is very difficult finding places to ride here unless you are OK with being an outlaw and always treaspassing on private property. You just don't want to get caught because the fines are pretty stiff plus the BS of getting your machine bailed out after they tow it to an impound lot.

The Sullivan county ATV club does a few sanctioned rides every year but even they are getting very expensive.
The last one would have cost $150 for the day for me and the wife in the RZR.

Gary

·
Registered
6 Posts
A few guys here in my area registered their Range, Kabota and Rhino in Maine. They said you don't have to be a Maine resident and it can be done online. If you want I can try and get the site if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That would be helpful.. I know I can do it in PA but it never hurts to have a second option

Thanks
Tom L

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I checked the Maine site and it is $68 a year for out of state machines.. They do NOT recognize any other state registration so ALL machines need to be registered.. I am researching what trails they have and most are maintained by local clubs.. I am interested in a loop/trail that runs from The Forks up to Jackman.. They also list some from The Forks to both Moosehead and Greenville., I am looking to get a map of them from the hotel/resort that lists them.. Will let you know what I find.. It's a long drive to The Forks, but if the trails are good it may be worth a couple of days riding the Maine back woods..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi! I registered mine in PA. They do require proof of insurance and sales tax paid, the initial registration ended up around $60.00 but the registration itself is $20.00, good for 3 years and I titled it in Pa for an additional $20.00, and the filing / admin costs where about $20.00 as well. To me it was worth every penny to have a "paper trail" of ownership...just in case. Take care... Mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mike,
Do you have to have a PA address to reg in PA? Do you have to go to PA to do it? If not, can it be done on-line? Sorry for all the questions but I have a few friends here that are still thinking of reg their buggys out of state because NY will not do it.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I still can't believe that NY, being the money grab state it truely is where ATV/UTV issues are concerned, will not allow registering of the full size rangers.

Our Ranger RZRs are registered but as I understand it, only because they weigh in at under 1000 pounds at birth. Mine has not been under 1000 pounds since the day I bought it and added fuel. What a complete joke.

I will bet with the state of the states economy, our fine governor and our equally fine DEC Commissioner, changes that will allow the powers to collect more lunch money will be forthcoming.

NY has millions of acres of state parks land paid for by WE THE PEOPLE yet all of it is off limits to those of us who enjoy off road vehicles. For this, I remain eternally PISSED!

Gary

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Our Federal tax dollars and this new stimulus package are building new ATV trails which I am all in favor of. Too bad NY remains anti ATV anything!

I think it is a perfect case of taxation without representation. We are required to register and insure our under 1000 pound vehicles yet we can't use them on any state land------WTF?

Gary

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You can register your rig in PA from their online site.. www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry/atv/registration.aspx They do need a copy of the sales slip showing that you paid sales tax or they will charge you sales tax.. The site pretty much explains all..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts