Polaris Ranger Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just picked up a 2010 EV, 270 hours, predictably it has some issues. I'll be going through everything eventually, but any help troubleshooting would be appreciated, first sxs and no automotive experience.

Definitely not getting right torque. When first got it it only had a half charge and it baarely made it up my 100ft 15degree driveway in L. Cleaned all the terminals and gave it a full charge, topped up water and now I can get around the whole hilly property with couple hundred pounds in back in L, and can get up to top speed in H, but it still doesnt feel right. Can't accelerate from a stop on flat ground in M for instance (if gets a rolling start M will get up to what feels like 15mphish), and saw someone mention plowing snow in M -- so something is up for sure.

I get 2 flashes before putting it into F or R, 6 flashes after.

Ordered new throttle before checking charger pins, maybe a mistake because woof they are bad. Doesn't even seem like a good idea to try and reconnect and use in meantime, right? I'm assuming this is not repairable, though i saw the charger mod post and it seems like no risk to try it -- and also it somehow was still driving and seemingly charging ok (even if nerfed).

So as a backup assuming taking it apart doesnt work and i dont kill myself in process, what do I need to buy to swap this out, new charger and an 48-13 inverter? The different models and conflicting compatability listed is throwing me off. Also tempted to just do a lithium upgrade, but kinda wanted to make sure it can handle the property before dumping 4k in.

Thanks for any help

Fluid Automotive tire Liquid Fixture Gas
Circuit component Finger Motor vehicle Electronic component Electrical wiring

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Tried reconnecting it and not a shock but i messed with the delicate balance and I now have an expensive brick, dash is dark minus battery status and wont move at all. Took apart charger to try and salvage it following this thread: 2010 Ranger EV "burned pin" Charger Mod , i wasn't at all confident this was gonna work with how bad my connector looked beyond just the 10 pin, so jury-rigged a new splice around the 9+10 pins with some wago connectors to test and amazingly it worked, at least a little bit! Unfortunately bright sun i couldnt see all the leds on the charger and I didnt want to leave it connected to power or get my face up in there for longer than to quick test, but dash light said it was charging, status lights all worked - and it shifted into F and had the power to move (in hindsight i should have tested in M to see if this resolved the nerfed power issue, but pretty sure i was in L)

Disconnected everything and now waiting on amazon to make some safer connections and close up charger and give it a better test. I made it dicey by being impatient but if this works, thats a really quick and simple fix to burned pin issue, even after it its done it's damage, and like 1% the cost of new charger install.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Yup, first thing I did was get the service manual - it's great, and makes me angry and all my other manufacturers that have such terrible support.

update:

Got 9+10 pins safely rewired, went to put the charger back together and my grommet nut prevented it from closing correctly, basically no way to fix that functionally or aesthetically. I chose to abandon the nut to get the casing to seal correct and i'll just flex paste whatever opening is visible.

Hooked it up and I saw I was still getting 2 flashes on Sevcon, but no wrench light. Was able to drive for a mile or two with it performing as it's supposed to, felt euphoric! No wrenches, could accelerate in M and make it up all my hills, L actually felt powerful, honestly its faster than i'd even want it to be. Then possibly coincedence but on way back to garage I drove over some downed branches and wrench light popped up and it sent me back into nerf mode. Same as before, cant accelerate out of stop from M - can barely drive in it even with a roll start. Switched on and off a few times but no luck, wrench light doesnt pop on until i shift into F or R.

Letting it get a full recharge now hoping its a battery issue, my replacement throttle arrived today but that doesnt seem to line up anymore with my issues, if anyone is familiar with 2 blinks (slow then quick) on sevcon and reduced power, definitely looking for ideas to troubleshoot. Couple other charger pins looked rough, but rerunning any of the other pins is significantly more difficult so really hoping to not have to do more surgery on it - especially since once/if i'm confident the motor isnt shot I'm gonna do a lithium upgrade anyway

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my replacement throttle arrived today but that doesnt seem to line up anymore with my issues
haha jk

after full charge i got about 1/4 mile in full power thinking i solved it before back to nerf mode. Back to garage and it is blinking 6 times again now. So, swapped in the new throttle and magic! back to full power, did a couple miles in the various configurations and had zero issues. I'm sure i'll be back troubleshooting on the forum before long, but I think i tracked down my two big issues (having the two most common problems helps) so probably wraps up this thread and now i can order a plow with slightly less fear this wont be driving in 3 months. I have a bunch of EGO landscape batteries (100ahish @ 56v) gonna try and put togther a rig to let me use those to power winch/sprayer/maybe a 120v outlet, will start separate thread documenting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts