Polaris Ranger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
What difference does it make.
If you can double the capacity of your winch. And its cheap.
Don't go out mudding by yourself.
Take food and water.
A. The snatch block you linked originally has reviews of it failing. Robot Check
B. You said a 10000 pound winch was too much for a Ranger. Which you might be correct, but they were talking about a 6000 pound winch. Which Polaris sells a 6000 pound winch. ( Which I would hope that means Rangers engineers designed the mount and frame to handle that.) The price difference between the 4500 pound Polaris PRO HD brand winch and 6000 pound is 100 dollars. The difference in price between the Polaris regular 3500 pound winch and 4500 pound non pro HD winch is 150 dollars ( Polaris doesn't make a non pro 6000 pound winch, but I guess if they did it would be around the same 100 to 150 dollar difference )

I'm not saying that having a snatch block is a bad idea, but it is another point of failure. And of course you shouldn't go on a trail alone, but people do it all the time. Or like me I just drive through my woods and I have gotten stuck in some deeper snow. Stuff happens when you are by yourself.

·
Registered
264 Posts
A. The snatch block you linked originally has reviews of it failing. Robot Check
B. You said a 10000 pound winch was too much for a Ranger. Which you might be correct, but they were talking about a 6000 pound winch. Which Polaris sells a 6000 pound winch. ( Which I would hope that means Rangers engineers designed the mount and frame to handle that.) The price difference between the 4500 pound Polaris PRO HD brand winch and 6000 pound is 100 dollars. The difference in price between the Polaris regular 3500 pound winch and 4500 pound non pro HD winch is 150 dollars ( Polaris doesn't make a non pro 6000 pound winch, but I guess if they did it would be around the same 100 to 150 dollar difference )

I'm not saying that having a snatch block is a bad idea, but it is another point of failure. And of course you shouldn't go on a trail alone, but people do it all the time. Or like me I just drive through my woods and I have gotten stuck in some deeper snow. Stuff happens when you are by yourself.
If you feel insecure with a 4500 lb winch .

And you do not want a block and tackle I showed.
Look at a better one.
It was a example.

And if you put 2 block and tackle together.
You have gone from what is it 9000 to 18,000 lbs.

Im.sure if you look around.
You can find a winch to fit your needs.

I do not wish to tear up my xp 900
Which weighs In the 1500 lb range.
The atv parks has somebody that will come and did you out..

I had days when I was younger.
Tore up stuff on 4x4 vehicles, trying to get them unstuck on sulfur mines where I sunk up to the frame.

It's your ranger.
Do what you want with it.
I don't have to pay for anything if you tear it up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you feel insecure with a 4500 lb winch .

And you do not want a block and tackle I showed.
Look at a better one.
It was a example.

And if you put 2 block and tackle together.
You have gone from what is it 9000 to 18,000 lbs.

Im.sure if you look around.
You can find a winch to fit your needs.

I do not wish to tear up my xp 900
Which weighs In the 1500 lb range.
The atv parks has somebody that will come and did you out..
Ok. I think you are missing the point. The original post was asking if it was overkill. I don't think it is "overkill". Polaris sells a 6000 pound winch, So the mount/frame should be able to handle that. Its a 100 dollars to go from 4500 to 6000. A snatch block plus extra cable/rope is around that price. They both work.Around 9000 pounds pulling force vs 6000 pounds. And going back to point of tearing up your Ranger if you are worried about 6000 pounds tearing apart your ranger. same could be said for the around 9000 pounds, the winch would be pull a max of 4500, but both lines to the frame could combine to be max of 9000 pounds (roughly).

The 4500 pound winch will in most circumstances be able to get him out or even a 3500 pound winch. But again I don't think it is "overkill" as which was asked.

·
Registered
264 Posts

If you looked on the internet, more than half the stuff you look at, ain't no good.

If you was new to UTV.
And got on this forum..with all the problems people are having with polaris.
You would never buy one.

Everything on the internet , ain't true.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Ok. I think you are missing the point. The original post was asking if it was overkill. I don't think it is "overkill". Polaris sells a 6000 pound winch, So the mount/frame should be able to handle that. Its a 100 dollars to go from 4500 to 6000. A snatch block plus extra cable/rope is around that price. They both work.Around 9000 pounds pulling force vs 6000 pounds. And going back to point of tearing up your Ranger if you are worried about 6000 pounds tearing apart your ranger. same could be said for the around 9000 pounds, the winch would be pull a max of 4500, but both lines to the frame could combine to be max of 9000 pounds (roughly).

The 4500 pound winch will in most circumstances be able to get him out or even a 3500 pound winch. But again I don't think it is "overkill" as which was asked.
I haven't missed nothing.
If its hurting you, because you don't have a 6000 lb winch.
Yer grown.
You have bv your own money.
By all means.
Nobody is gonna stop you from getting a 6000 lb winch.

·
Registered
264 Posts

I haven't missed nothing.
If its hurting you, because you don't have a 6000 lb winch.
Yer grown.
You have bv your own money.
By all means.
Nobody is gonna stop you from getting a 6000 l
Thanks for letting me know that.
I apologize dude.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I think Warn of course is original and absolute best winch you can buy. Lots of cheap china winches out there like my motoaliance china winch. I'm not sure about SATV but I'd guess their winches are china also.
I don't go mudding but I have it just in case I need it. My next ranger will have Warn winch.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Why don't you bust Super ATV chops since they are a vendor here.

And if you are a forum member.
You might, note I said might be able to twist their arm., and ask where they are made.
Oh and if they would give you a break on one.

They have a place in Iowa, and Shreveport, La.
One of the Polaris dealers close to me sells a lot of Super ATV winch.

They had a 3500 , 4500, and a 5000 at the Polaris dealership.

I had a Super ATV 4500 put on my Ranger XP 900.
I had a rocker switch put in the dash.

These SuperATV Black Ops Winches Will Pull You Out of Anything | SuperATV Off-Road Atlas These SuperATV Black Ops Winches Will Pull You Out of Anything | SuperATV Off-Road Atlas

·
Registered
264 Posts
Who Makes SuperATV Winch?
SuperATV winches are made by Super ATV, LLC. Harold Hunt is the founder of SuperATV who started the company out of his love and passion for creek riding.
SuperATV first produced 2” Polaris Sportsman EZ Install lift kit. The success of the lift kit forced Harold to increase his product line. Once he started realizing the enormous demand in the off-roading industry his company started manufacturing almost anything related to ATV/UTV.
Some of their current products include winches, tires, lift kit, bumpers, hitches, suspensions, lights, mirrors, snow plows, and many more.
From the beginning, they are continuously working to fulfill the need of the off-roading enthusiast by developing different high-quality products related to this industry. Yes, you read it right. Quality is something they really do care.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Take a deep breath...and don't get all ruffled.
I've bought several SATV products, forwards A arms and other stuff. Never an issue. But I'll never believe all their products are made in USA.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I understand short bursts. I just fried a HDPro 6000 polaris winch. I put a fuse in one slot off which powered the winch to retract which I didn’t realize. A$1000 mistake. My reasoning for going with a 6000 pound winch was power for initial jerk to break something loose. Example another atv stuck in mud. Past experience trying to break that suction. I haven’t tried it yet to see how much power it really has

·
Registered
264 Posts
Take a deep breath...and don't get all ruffled.
I've bought several SATV products, forwards A arms and other stuff. Never an issue. But I'll never believe all their products are made in USA.
Go look at your TV, now look at your washing machine, your dryer
Look at your stove, look at your oven.
How about your mower.
Harley Davidson don't have all U.S. made parts .
The United States is in something called Global trade..
I won't buy a car because it's union made.
I don't like paying for union labor and it costing me more .

If you do.
Your choice.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I understand short bursts. I just fried a HDPro 6000 polaris winch. I put a fuse in one slot off which powered the winch to retract which I didn’t realize. A$1000 mistake. My reasoning for going with a 6000 pound winch was power for initial jerk to break something loose. Example another atv stuck in mud. Past experience trying to break that suction. I haven’t tried it yet to see how much power it really has
Most of the people I know has 3500 lb winches.
If somebody gets stuck.
2 people tie off and pull him to out.
They also have block and tackle.
They all have snorkels
They all stay together.
They ride as a club.

Several people has said they think the 6000 lb winch is overkill including me.
Think what the initial jerk is doing to your machine.

But it ain't what you want to hear.
The decision is yours my friend.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes Polaris has a 6,000 lbs winch with Synthetic rope. I decided to go with a Warn 5,500 lbs to get steel rope not offered by Polaris for my 2019 XP1000.

·
Registered
264 Posts
You know steel cable frays.

They have steel cable on boat lifts on the lake I live on.
You have to be very careful to keep your hands off the steel cables, when raising or lowering boats..
Ever heard the sound of a steel cable breaking.
Or seen a big boat fall when they break.
Better hope your not in the way.

Think it would be about the same on a winch.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Straight from warns mouth.
Now you make the decision.

Watch "Wire Vs Synthetic Rope on Warn Winch - Pros & Cons with Fisher" on YouTube

·
Registered
264 Posts
Look at the specs on a 4500 lb winch.
Now look at the specs on a 6000 lb winch.
Man the 6000 lb winch sure does draw a lot more amps.

On the SATV winch I have..they show a snatch block and using it to double your winch capacity.

And they show on larger winchs.
The battery drains faster.

Something to think about when buying a winch.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Since I went with with the polaris HDPro 6000 pound winch. Is there options to ensure I don’t kill my battery. I don’t anticipate using winch very often but just in case I have to. Plus I am running ride command and a 50 inch light bar on roof and 18 inch on front bumper. This could be a lot of drain if using winch at night. Is ther option for bigger alternator? I also heard about adding another battery

21 - 40 of 42 Posts