Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Name of Product: Model Year 2008 Polaris Ranger RZR 800 EFI Utility Vehicles
Units: 330
Manufacturer: Polaris Industries Inc., of Medina, Minn.
Hazard: The utility vehicle’s fuel tank can leak, posing fire and burn hazards to consumers.
Incidents/Injuries: The firm has received four reports of the fuel tank leaking. No injuries have been reported.
Description: Model Year 2008 Polaris Ranger RZR 800 EFI utility vehicles with model number R08VH76AD (red), and model number R08VH76AG (green) are included in this recall. They were manufactured between August 21, 2007 and October 3, 2007. The model number decal is located under the passenger seat.
Sold at: Polaris dealers nationwide from August 2007 through November 2007 for about $10,300.
Manufactured in: United States
Remedy: Consumers should stop using the recalled utility vehicles immediately and contact their local Polaris dealer to arrange for a fuel tank inspection free of charge, and if necessary, a free repair.
Consumer Contact: For additional information, contact Polaris at (888) 704-5290 between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. CT every day, or visit the firm’s Web site at www.polarisindustries.com.

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission is charged with protecting the public from unreasonable risks of serious injury or death from more than 15,000 types of consumer products under the agency’s jurisdiction. Deaths, injuries and property damage from consumer product incidents cost the nation more than $700 billion annually. The CPSC is committed to protecting consumers and families from products that pose a fire, electrical, chemical, or mechanical hazard. The CPSC’s work to ensure the safety of consumer products - such as toys, cribs, power tools, cigarette lighters, and household chemicals – contributed significantly to the 30 percent decline in the rate of deaths and injuries associated with consumer products over the past 30 years.

To report a dangerous product or a product-related injury, call CPSC’s hotline at (800) 638-2772 or CPSC’s teletypewriter at (800) 638-8270 or visit CPSC’s Web site at www.cpsc.gov/talk.html. Consumers can obtain this release and recall information at CPSC’s Web site at www.cpsc.gov.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Yep! My brothers Greenie was born on 8/21 and he got the letter and a new tank.

Think they had a plastic welding machine that does the seams working below temp.

I'm waiting to hear of recalls for the exhaust manifold fire hazard and the throttle cable freezing wide open.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
With all this white stuff all over the ground I think I have about 6 months before it is even an issue.
Hope by then Polaris has a fix!

·
Registered
26 Posts
We don't get much in the way of snow here in Oklahoma... just a bunch of ice. It looks neat until it gets to be so much it breaks the trees, then its a royal pain in the butt. It also makes normal things a bit interesting. I had a good half inch of ice on my trash cans and had to get them open. I took a 2 lb hammer out to the cans, slid down the driveway sideways against my van bumper, pushed off, whacked cnas a couple of times, slid back down the driveway, pushed off, whacked the cans, slid back down... you get idea. Took me a good twenty minutes to take out the trash, but I got it done. O0

·
Registered
15 Posts
i was out hunting in early october and smelt something burning jumpped out and sure enough therewas a little flame on the head pipe not good out in the woods :-\

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I was out riding with my brother, he has a green one so I let him be in front! ;D As we were moving along I saw smoke comming from his engine and made him stop. Sure enough he had a clump of wet twigs and leaves laying right on top of the header pipes getting ready to ignite.

As for the ice you mention Soonerpgh, we had that two weeks ago on top of 12 inches of fresh snow. It really sucks and messed up our riding for a while because in some spots the crust was strong enough to hold the RZR on top and in others one or two wheels would break thru and stick you pretty bad.

Right now the only places we can ride is where we or snow machines have packed it down.

Here is a good trick for when your driveway gets like that again. Get a pack of short 1/4 inch sheet metal screws with 1/4" bolt heads for a screw gun. Use a pair of boots with thick lugs and put two in each heal and two in the middle where you see the most wear. Works great and just remove them when done. I use them for ice fishing and my buddies have spent big bucks on strap on cleats and can't walk any better then me on glare ice.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Grazor, that would work, except I'm in a wheelchair. I would put the screws in my tires, but removing them before returning to the house would take more time that it is worth. I need a little tire chain kit, but I haven't go that either. So, I'll just slide around. It makes for funnier stories anyway. ;D

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
That is funny! Not that you're in a wheel chair but that my screws won't do much but flatten your tires.

I wonder if they make Blizzak treads for WCs.

Around here if you don't have Blizzak tires in winter you are guaranteed to be stuck.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I think the idea is that us wheelchair folks are supposed to have sense enough to come in out of the weather. I just didn't get that memo. As long as I can stay warm, or have enough fun to ignore the cold, I'll going where I want. Of course, you should have seen me try to play snow plow with this thing. I got snow piled about two feet high in front of me and it was all she wrote. I think I went a total of about 8 feet from the porch. this was last winter when we had a snow that stayed for a day or two. I had some 12 to 18 inch drifts on my sidewalk that I tried to plow through. I had to have my kids push me back to the house.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Sounds like you need one of those go cart wheel chairs.

We could start a thread to get it all dialed in with 29.5 Swapers and a good lift kit. :2funny:

·
Registered
26 Posts
I saw a four-wheel drive wheelchair while on vacation a year or so back. The guy told me it cost him $30K. I don't know about you guys, but I'll stick with my $5000 w/c, and use the other $25K on a Ranger and goodies. O0

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
The RZRs did have a gas tank recall! Think the ones built in the middle to the end of August were affected. My brother did get a new tank installed.

The burn hazard mentioned above is from the position of the exhaust manifolds where they exit the engine.
They basically form a ledge where leaves and debris can land and catch fire if your pipes are hot enough.

I never saw any flames yet but last fall we stopped for a break and I did smell something burning and found a clump of twigs and leaves cooking on my pipes and just about ready to ignite.

Keep an eye on this and I do expect Polaris will come out with some sort of a shield as a preventative.

I can see the headlines now, "Massive forest fires origin traced to a Polaris off road vehicle".

Gary

1 - 16 of 16 Posts