Polaris Ranger Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like to experiment with a Power Steering kit. The motor is 220w and I don't want to tap into the existing DC/DC converter and/or my winch battery so I'm thinking of installing a second SEVCON unit (I have an extra) and a second 12v battery. What would be the best place to tap into switched 48v? Should I forget about the second DC/DC converter and just install a trickle charger instead?

Cheers!

·
Registered
939 Posts
I'm thinking of installing a second SEVCON unit (I have an extra) and a second 12v battery.
Are you sure the second battery is needed? The second Sevcon should handle the power steering motor.
What would be the best place to tap into switched 48v?
Same place and same way using a relay to power the second Sevcon.

Please keep us posted on your project.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I like to experiment with a Power Steering kit. The motor is 220w and I don't want to tap into the existing DC/DC converter and/or my winch battery so I'm thinking of installing a second SEVCON unit (I have an extra) and a second 12v battery. What would be the best place to tap into switched 48v? Should I forget about the second DC/DC converter and just install a trickle charger instead?

Cheers!
Why use a overpriced sevcon , go with a golf cart convertor for a fraction of the cost of a sevcon .Save your spare sevcon for the machine when the original fails .
Another plus is they have a higher output rating than sevcon ..

I would connect the second convertor right to the 48 volt battery bus and use a 30 amp , 12 volt cube relay to turn it on with the 12 volt coil energized by the output of the oem sevcon .

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@yooper265 Good idea. I will look into a cheaper converter. When you say "48v battery bus", are you referring to the battery terminals? Some were suggesting I should be connecting to the negative terminal on Motor Controller and positive terminal on the contactor. I don't think it matters, does it?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Yes , the battery terminals , use a inline 30 amp fuse on the positive lead . Doesn't really matter where you get the 48 volt connection , the relay will be switching it on / off .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts