Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the place for us all to show off our fabrication skills.

The love of my life right now is the RZR and I am constantly looking at what I can do to make it better.

I am a DIY type of guy and would prefer to make my own where ever I can.

So far I have made my own Lexan full windshield and a complete set of skids out of UHMW.
I just bought all the materials to make my own hard cab enclosure for winter riding, ice fishing and plowing.

These projects are always fun and worthy of mentioning here.

I want to figure out how to add some heat and defrost that incorporates the lines from engine to radiator.

Sure, we can all just go buy this stuff from Polaris or after market makers but for those of us who insist on the DIY approach, this is where we need to put our minds and special talents together.

I think my skids are every bit as solid as any we can buy at three times the cost. My windshield is almost as nice as the L&R one at twice the price.

Lets start showing off our back yard workshop creations and share some ideas with each other on these projects.

3/8" UHMW skids- Home made

Lexan full windshield, on or off in minutes.

Foot rest to stop the jerk throttle problem.

How to stop fumes when you add the windshield.

Many of us have come up with some great ideas on how to make our toys do what we need better so this is the place to grab a beer and talk about them.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I was thinking on my old Ranger I can take the sides off of the motor cover and if you had the cab enclosed that would let the engine heat in.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
It would help, but doing a small radiator with a fan behind it would work the best. I am sure you can find a used or new polaris radiator and build a box with a small 12v fan. All you would have to do is tie it inline with your other radiator by using tee connectors and put it all under the seat. I have seen the ones they sell for 300-500 and you could do it for 100.00 if you shop wisely.

Josh

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We are on the same page here Josh. This will break my heart but I have a 1985 chevy spectrum that has served me very well. It has a blown head gasket and drips oil out and down the rear of the engine. It would cost 3 times what the car is worth to get it fixed so I plan to junk it this spring.

My thought is to scavenge some parts like the heater box and core with the controls and the rear window wiper and see if I can use them on the RZR.

The T connectors for the lines might be a problem, I think the RZR lines are aluminum and I would want a way to shut the flow to the heater off in the summer time.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Let me know if they are aluminum, I would think that line should have some flex in it somewhere. If it is aluminum, you might have to do a complete mod by redoing everything in heater hose and adding those t's. I have not looked at the RZR that close but I am sure you could come up with a way to make it work. And to shut the flow off all you need is a 12v solenoid valve to open or close it with a toggle switch.

Josh

·
Registered
22 Posts

Aside from the Lock and Ride top and windshield and the Polaris front brushguard; I fabbed all the rest (siderails, rollcage with overhead winch, lightbar, rear bumper).

Colby

·
Registered
507 Posts
Nice job on the ranger, Myhound.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very nice work there Colby. I had all sorts of great plans for my RZR this winter as my friend and partner is a great welder with all the bending machinery and we were going to fab it up. Then he chopped his thumb off on a chop saw in late Nov. and has been dealing with that issue since.

I hope to get some of it done in the near future if he can get back to the shop.

Gary

·
Registered
9 Posts
Here is a Ranger we did a few months ago. A list of some of the fab work done. Full cage, Harness bar with integrated headrest mount, bumper, plated a-arms, cooler mount, and lightbar.

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
269 Posts
I like the extra bars at the front of the cage like that, since mine is older I haven't figured out how to do that and get the hood open. The long front legs on my cage look weak.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Hey, Gary

Where did you pick up the clamps for the front windshield. I need some.

[quote author=GRAZOR link=topic=240.msg1171#msg1171 date=1199579832]
Lexan full windshield, on or off in minutes.

[/quote]

·
Registered
9 Posts
Try Mcmaster-Carr. www.mcmaster.com Good place to go, to find all your hard to find random fittings and such. You can be lost on that site for days it's awesome.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got those clamps on ebay from seller cnydjsupply. They are designed for attaching lights to tripod poles but work great for this stuff with a little fabbing. $16.80 for 4 of them.

Gary

·
Registered
3 Posts
I use my 2009 Ranger XP 700 in the woods of PA and have replaced all the CV Boots. Sticks of all sizes have speared and destroyed them. Those little plastic shields offer no protection...even if the sticks have not torn them off. My full skid plate (fabricated from aluminum truck bed) works fine and could have additional brush and stick guards welded to it, but I cannot figure out CV boot protection that is adequate while still not interfering with the wheels, tires, and arms. Advice greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
UMHW Prices

The price from my local glass shop for a sheet (48x60x3/8) of UHMW (black, reprocessed grade) is $430. Is there a source for a better price?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Yep,,,,$415.40 + shipping was the price I was told today!! Yah and it's for a full sheet
120 by 48 3/8
Regal plastic supply Kansas City Mo
This is the first place I've priced UHMW

1 - 20 of 20 Posts