Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this forum, and I recently acquired a series 10 ranger for almost nothing. The reason, I got it pretty much all in parts with the knowledge that the transmission was bad. I drove it when it was together and actually driving, then the PO took it out for a ride and was tired of it HI gear not engaging. He decided to take it upon himself to remove almost everything to get the tranny out, and once he got the tranny apart, decided he was tired of the project and bought a rhino.
So, I took a look at the tranny and it looks as if it needs new engagement dogs and the opposing gears that the engagement dogs engage. The ears on the the dogs and gears are worn. Scouring the internet, the best price I can find is $130 for the dogs and $160 for the gears. While I'm in there, I figure I might as well replace all 4 dogs and both gears, bringing the total to almost $900... I've seen tranny's go on ebay for $4-500. The PO also has an 07 sportsman 800 and we looked at that tranny. Right down to the mounts and all, the tranny looks the same. I cross referenced parts and there are quite a few parts that match, shift linage, shafts, and especially gear ratio parts. The only thing I'm concerned about is the spline count on the input / output shafts. Now, I know that due to the minor differences between the 1341355 series 10 ranger tranny and the sportsman 800 tranny, the part numbers are different, but are they pretty much the same tranny? I know a lot of polaris parts are used in a lot of different applications, but I can never get a straight answer from polaris or a polaris dealer. They won't tell me yes or no seemingly because I guess they don't want the blame on them. If anyone can help me find either, cheaper parts, a way to fix the parts (dare I use jb weld or a tig welder and machine the dogs square again) or a cross referenced tranny, I'd much appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Welcome to Polaris Ranger Forum!

We have a couple dealer sponsors here. Motor Sports Super Store, Shoals Outdoor Sports. Also Fox Valley ATV and Dirty Dawg Performance sells factory parts. All the banners on the site will take you to the sponsors website. I would say Dirty Dawg would be the best to deal with away from the dealer as he does clutch kits on all makes of polaris. His name is Dale and a great guy to deal with. Let us know what you decide to do.

Josh

1 - 2 of 2 Posts