Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer called me today and told me that due to some kind of oversight on Polaris' behalf oil has leaked from my crankshaft into where the clutch and belt are and was causing the belt slip problem. They have to pull the engine to fix it. Good news......all under warranty without a dime from me. I am curious about one thing, though. When I took the Ranger to have them check it I told them to service it while they had it with an oil change. Since they would have had to drain the oil anyway to fix it I wonder if they are gonna slap me with an oil change bill. Oh well.......all I know is I wish they'd hurry. Supposed to be 75 degrees here Friday and I have no Ranger.... :(

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Seems like things like this happens when the weather is nice. Hope you get it back soon and they do a good job for you. While you are talking to them tell them to visit this site. We could use a dealer sponsor from your area as well.

Josh

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked on the status of my Ranger today and they told me they had parts ordered and it would be at least 6 or 7 more days. The weather is good, I have no Ranger, and my son is bombarding me with "I told ya so's" about getting a Polaris. He wanted me to get the Rhino. I'm 'bout sick........ :( :'(

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I think I would direct the son over to the Rino forum so he can see that they break too!

As for the oil change I think I would let the dealer know now, that you won't be needing it since they have to do it anyway under warranty with the repairs. Any dealer that would pull a stunt like that and charge you might be worth the cost of an oil change to find out! I believe the saying goes " Screw me once, shame on you. Screw me twice, shame on me".
If I went to pick up my machine and found the oil change charge on the bill I think I would calmly ask "What, you tore my engine into pieces and it doesn't include replacing the oil you had to let out to do the warranty work"? :idiot2:

That would be the last he saw of me!

Gary

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well......I called my dealer today.........still no Ranger. I have had the Ranger 5 months. Out of the 5 months I have had it They have had it 2 months :tickedoff:.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
That right there is a perfect reason to get on the horn and call your local Polaris Dealer Rep.

I don't even have to ask if you are abusive to your machine, I know you are not!

I would never tolerate that crap and as the GM of a very large shop right in your area I did battle every day with the manufacturer and the parts division. Probably got canned for it but the customer came first with me and there is absolutely no excuse for this $hit.

Someone at your dealership is being a real jerk off or Polaris is dropping the ball whith your machine.

If you know a good lawyer who works reasonable then just have him send a quick letter stating your complete dissatisfaction with your Ranger and warning that legal action will follow if the problem is not corrected immediately. Send it directly to Polaris main office.

That always gets the attention of the powers and they hate paying lawyers to defend their BS actions.

Even a simple Small Claims Court action gets immediate attention and some dork from coorporate will personally deliver your part to the AHole dealer to get you running.

Gary

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the supportive comments, Gary. I really appreciate it. Made me feel better already. As a matter of fact, I have a lawyer son-in-law who has put the "scare" in a couple of people for me before. You are right about me not abusing my machine. It was a seal that started leaking oil onto the belt. The guy in the service department said another one from there did the same thing. I will probably give my son-in-law a call soon.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
My main question with that simple of a problem is, Whats the hold up?

Is the part not available or is the dealership just too busy to get the darn thing installed?

That was my major problem with the Hatfield McCoy shop, One very underpaid mechanic and way too many sales for him to even think straight! Honda, back then had a major problem with frame braces breaking at the welds that required a completely new frame to be shipped to us and the mechanic had to strip an entire machine and rebuild it from the ground up on a new frame, every nut, bolt and wire.
We had customers waiting 3 months for rediculously simple stuff while the mechanic was burried under five machines all in various states of rebuild.

Honda didn't give a D A M and neither did the owner until one customer sued the pants off them both and won his law suit hands down.

We had other customers who had financed their machines through Honda or Kawasaki and simply refused to pay a dime until their machines were repaired under the warranty.

The day I got canned was a blessing in disguise and I never even looked back!

Gary

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wrote Polaris Industries with my problem and this is what they had to say:

Dear Mr Thomas Johnston

Thank you for contacting Polaris Industries with your concerns. It is our understanding that there is a delay in the completion of your repair due to a backordered part. Polaris recognizes, as your dealer has, how frustrating this is especially during the riding season.

Polaris works hard to appropriately plan inventory requirements to eliminate a parts back order situation. There are certain circumstances that occur where we find our forecasting has not met the customer demand. In these instances, we quickly address production/order requirements and work to minimize the amount of time a part is backordered.

We want to thank you for your patience and for your constructive feedback regarding our performance. Polaris will continue to work to improve our process for the future.

Respectfully,

Customer Service Representative

Consumer Services
Polaris Industries, Inc.

·
Registered
635 Posts
HHHmmm reads like a simple form letter, wonder how many of those they send out every day. Also makes me think no upper echelon PR folks there even know this is happening..

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Code said:
HHHmmm reads like a simple form letter, wonder how many of those they send out every day. Also makes me think no upper echelon PR folks there even know this is happening..
Actually, I wrote back and told them that very thing. Instead of being concerned about my situation after I spent over $13,000.00 with them they send me a form letter like I am a child or something......sheesh!

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Yep! You are dealing directly with the idiots who get paid big bucks to blow you off or stall you while some other idiot gets off his a$$ and thinks about doing his job for a change.

What is most distressing here is that the part you need is probably sitting down at your local Nappa store on the shelf.

Polaris and every other company has contracts with vendors to provide parts. That exact seal is likely used in many different applications and produced by a number of different makers but under a different part number.

We had this same problem back in 1999 when the universal joints on our Sportsman 500 wore out or broke. My brothers machine was at the shop 3 weeks waiting for the U joints and we were going on a long planned trip to the Hatfield McCoy trails.

I took a U joint out of my machine and down to Nappa. He measured it, cross referenced it and had 8 of them in stock. Polaris charged $35 and had none and Nappa charged $11 and had all that we needed.

This identicle situation happened with wheel bearings. Polaris had none in stock--(Back Ordered) and Nappa had the exact ones on the shelf and at less then half the cost. All it took was a guy with a micrometer to measure and cross the part numbers.

If you can get the bad seal from the dealer, take it down to Nappa or to an engine rebuilding shop where they have a guy with a brain. Bet you $100 I'd have the part the next day at the latest.
Don't bother taking it to Advanced Auto or Auto Zone, I said a guy with a brain!

If you look on a seal or bearing they all have numbers and usually names of who made them like Timkin followed by a number. Just because Polaris doesn't have the part does not mean that same part isn't sitting on a shelf right in your town.

Here is a prime example. My F 250 Diesel got hard to start. Dealer said it was the Glow Plug Relay. A very simple part but not in stock at $134. Nappa had the exact same part called a GPR 109 for $25.

Gary

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well.......I'm about to wet my pants. I called my dealer Thursday and promised them I would be there one day next week and I would be coming after money or a machine. I told them I wasn't really bluffing (and I wasn't). I was gone all day today, but when I got home I had a message telling me to come by Saturday afternoon and get my Ranger.........it'll be done. So.......it looks like I may get to hit the trails this weekend........finally!!

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Great to hear that! Rather then wetting your pants I think I would save it for the parts counter at your dealer!

Gary

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, we got it home and took it for a spin for about an hour. It seemed to do fine, but I could smell anti-freeze. I'll check it out tomorrow. Good idea about the parts counter, Gary.....haha.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
We always have to check them after the mechanic has been in there! Your smell may just be some fluid that leaked when it was appart or could also be a loose fitting he forgot to tighten.

A buddy had a new carburator installed on his Grizzly last fall and it never ran right since. Had it back twice now and finally this time the mechanic opened the carb and found a piece of the rubber hose in the float bowl, probably from when he installed it last fall.

This time he replaced the black rubber fuel line with clear plastic. Machine still did not run right so I looked it all over and found the fool had a kink in the new fuel line that starved it for gas every time he got on it. Simple fix was to shorten the new line a little but you sure would think a mechanic would be more conciencious.

Check over all areas he was working on and all things he had to remove to get there.

Gary

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Bad news......went out for about an hour today and almost didn't get home. It's the same thing again. I suppose I will go Tuesday and tell them they'd better give me another one.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Damn Cathead, I'm sorry to hear that.

I would think you either have some other problem causing the seal failure or that your dealer/mechanic is a complete bafoon! Some of these fools are only able to get it right after they do it twice and that sucks.

Keep us posted as to what happens but please don't shift the blame to Polaris on a whole because your dealer or mechanic isn't taking care of their customers. I don't think it is as much a problem with the machine as it is with incompetence at the repair level. You might also want to do some investigative work and see if you can find a shop with a real mechanic. I know from experience, down your way, that alot of shops hire some dork and call him a mechanic because he knows which end of a screw driver goes in the slot. What should they expect when the pay chump wages for such technical work?

Good luck buddy but you might do yourself a big favor by seeking a better shop to deal with. I know there is one up in Chapmanville and another over near Prestonburgh.

Gary

Gary

1 - 20 of 36 Posts