Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been discussed several times but it seems to be ongoing...at least for a friend and I.

Obviously I am new to the Ranger, or rather it is new to me. My buddy has had an 800 and now a Razr 1000. We have been going back and forth about oil and weights.

After much reading and research I purchased the Mobil 1 0w-40 synthetic for the 2015 Ranger 900xp. He keeps telling me I shouldn't use it due to the "40" and not "50" as polaris recommends for the new models. I see amsoil recommends the 0w-40 as a direct replacement and many people say they run Mobil 1 in the 0w-40. I am not wanting to get into who makes (sells) better quality oils. Just want to know if these new models will be fine running the mobil 1 0w-40 synthetic. By the way I live in north Florida.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Yes, it will be fine. Polaris 50 wt. quickly shears down to a 40 wt. Your engine is better protected with Mobil 1 or AMSOIL than it ever will be with Polaris oil. Polaris branded oil is really just a cheap oil from a no-name bottler. Polaris sells oil to make more money, do you really think they care if your engine wears out after the warranty expires? Heck no, they want to sell you a new machine, that's what they are in business to do, not make it last forever.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I run Mobil 20w-50. It's the same stuff an engine builder buddy of mine runs in his engines. If that's what he runs in 2000 plus hp engines that r over $40,000, it's good enuff for me.

·
Super Moderator
2,318 Posts
I run Mobil 20w-50. It's the same stuff an engine builder buddy of mine runs in his engines. If that's what he runs in 2000 plus hp engines that r over $40,000, it's good enuff for me.
I doubt if your buddy is going to start his $40,000 engine in those cold MN temperatures a thousand times during its short time between re-builds, so he can get away with that 20w.
A Ranger would be better served with the 0w or 5w oil.
Racing engines = looser tolerances and extreme temps = thicker oil.
Polaris engines = close tolerances for long life. Plus, a Polaris will have more power and better fuel mileage and last longer with the lighter weight oil.
Oil doesn't just lubricate, it also carries away heat from the bearings and a thick oil doesn't flow through a close tolerance bearing quickly enough to do that. It also doesn't flow quickly enough in cold starts to build pressure to effectively lubricate the bearings like the lighter weight oil does.
The low number is much more important to engine life than the difference between a 40 and a 50 oil even if you live in Florida.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I agree, running a 20W-50 in a small engine is not advisable, especially in a northern climate like MN. The 0W-40 flows faster at start up compared to a 20W-50, which helps reduce engine wear in critical areas by lubricating parts faster.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Let me clarify, I do agree it is to thick for winter time if u leave it sit outside, which isn't an issue cause it sits in a heated shop.

·
Registered
447 Posts
An oils cold-temperature performance (number before the W) refers to its ability to flow when the engine is cold, or below typical operating temperature (212°F / 100°C), and not simply to what feels cold to humans - warm summer days or garages are also cold to an engine. Startup lubrication is directly affected by a lubricant’s cold-flow ability, and the impact is felt at higher ambient temperatures than most consumers would think.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Well, u learn something new everyday, I was always more concerned with oil breakdown at higher temperatures, because back in the day I had a 3 wheeler that developed a knock after a hot day of hard riding. The knock went away after it cooled down, and I then asked the mechanic and he said that the oil was to thin. I believe I had 10w 30 in it at the time. Thanks for ur input.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't have access to the mobile one 5w-50 locally that I see from their site they actually make. I would have to order that as well, as most of the local parts shops and Wally World here don't carry that weight. Which was I went with the 0w-40 Mobil one. If I am going to order online then would I be better off with a 5w-50 from Mobil one or just go with Polaris oil since I am having to order it anyway? Or am I just overthinking the whole thing too much and the Mobil 0-40 will not harm the engine at all? FYI the Mobil 0w-40 from Walmart is 25.00 for a 5 quart jug. The 5w-50 is about twice that as far as price goes. Not a huge deal but still a thought when I have to maintain a Ranger 900xp, a Grizzly 700, Grizzly 450, Raptor 80, Yamha G29 Golf Cart, !9' Maxum Bowrider boat , and two trucks. It gets costly to keep these toys up at times.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have 6k miles on a 2013 XP900 and have always used the Amsoil equivalent cause I researched it here on this forum (some good info). It has served me well but I work with my ranger and I'm not a weekend warrior that goes out and tears stuff up trying to be the guy everybody talks about on Monday! Then posts WTF questions!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Oil dilemma

Aloha All,

Getting ready to complete my break in oil change. Due to my location, the PS4 5w-50 is almost impossible to come by unless I want to wait a month for the slow boat. I can find the older PS4 0w-40 and Mobile 1 5w-50. I am leaning towards the Polaris oil to avoid warranty issues even though the weight is different than spec on the 2015 models.

My experience tells me either is fine, but since there has been some discussion on this, and some time elapsed since some posts, wanted to know if there were any updated experiences anyone wanted to share.

Mahalos

·
Super Moderator
1,877 Posts
There is no comparison, on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being best, Mobil 1 is a 8, PS4 is a 1 in either 0W-40 or 5W-50.

AMSOIL is a 10.
Exactly right ...... Ditto,,, Cost more than other oils, but do you like putting in the best oil or have breakdowns. That simple.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts