Polaris Ranger Forum banner

Has anyone had their shifter stuck in any gear and needed to shut down to release?

• Yes

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 20.0%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had a issue with the XP1000 shifter getting stuck? It happened to me in Rev and Low. I keep pressure on the brake and it feels like throttle is also advancing. The only way to get out of one gear to another is to shut the machine down and restart. One time I had room to keep lunging forward after about 20 feet the shifter released without shutting down. In the other cases I had no room to move forward or reverse ( whatever gear I was stuck in) so I had shut key. I have the unit 3 weeks. It’s happened 5 times. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2019 XP1000 Camo
163 Posts
Buddy of mine has his 20’ Northstar in the shop now for same thing. Whole new clutch. Polaris covered it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That’s not good, I just sold a kubota 4 years old used it daily. Never back in the shop for any reason. I'm not off to a good start.

Thanks for Reply,
johnny

·
Registered
2019 XP1000 Camo
163 Posts
Not all of them do it. Mine is a 19’ and it shifts fine after I aligned the clutch, but mine was never where I couldn’t shift it, just stiff.

As far as I know the clutch is the main issue they have.

That Kabota is way over built so it shouldn’t have any problems. I bet it wasn’t as much fun to drive though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
My 2018 1000XP did the same, it was always stiff and kept getting worse. Last Fall my dealer told me there was a serial number specific Service Advisory. Give them a call with your SN and reference RSA-19-01. Fixed it right up, shifts as nice as my 900XP now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am experiencing two consistent gear malfunction issues with my new 2020 Polaris Ranger Crew XP 1000.

The first malfunction issue is that it fairly consistently gets stuck in gear for no apparent reason:
On flat, even terrain it will inexplicably get stuck in High, Low or Reverse and even move slowly forward or back on its own with no throttle applied. When this has occured I have tried all variations of shifting (usually trying to just get to Neutral) but the shifting lever becomes solidly stuck. I am reluctant to muscle the lever too much for fear of doing damage. Turning it off completely works only occasionally but not always.

The second malfunction issue is that it falls out of gear while descending hills (either forward or reverse) when no throttle is applied:
After it slips out of gear it is a challenge to get it back into gear and even if that is accomplished it acts very sluggish for a while. In order to descend hills now I have to put just the front wheels on a given downward slope and then shift to Neutral, coast down the hill, then re-engage the gear to continue on.

To be clear, when the gear sticking or slipping issues occur, the driver seat belt is buckled and all settings are where they should be. I'll be reaching out to the dealer about these issues but thought I'd post this to further the conversation.

·
Registered
32 Posts
seems it might be clutch alignment, add or take away shims on the secondary

·
Registered
32 Posts
my clutch seems to be a bitch at times getting into gear

·
Registered
11 Posts
There is a service advisory for this that dealer has been told not bring it up. You have to tell the dealer and they will repair.

It did not happen to me but 2 friends with NorthStar's had the same problem. Don't want to get in a argument about Polaris keeping it quit. I found it hard to believe but it is there. I have seen the letter (advisory from Polaris).

Your second problem about popping out of gear. I don't know if its the cure-all given the problems you have getting it back into gear however,
If it is as simple as popping out of gear, and you can just stop and shift back into gear (like you would anytime you shift).
Then there is linkage very easy to adjust. Doing it from memory because my ranger is at the mountain home. On my 2019 XP1000, I tilt the bed and from passenger side there is a 3/8" all thread that connects with an adjusting nut and a lock nut. Have a friend watch when you shift its obvious. Try adjusting that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts