Polaris Ranger Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:uglystupid2: :uglystupid2: :uglystupid2:

I have a 08 Ranger xp 700. I was installing my tilt steering this weekend and while I was doing my walk down my cuz noted that it looks like there are another set of mounting brackets for your rear shocks. My question is if there is a performance difference on where the shocks can be placed???? There looks like the shocks can be placed outside the frame. Has anyone placed them on the outside of the frame????

??? ??? ???

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
The rear shocks will help lift it up. This also puts more tension on the springs so you can haul more. After my lift kit install my rear was a little low. I moved them out and it fixed the problem.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I noticed the same thing while pressure cleaning today, and will be ordering the lift soon. That little info is good to know, thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I moved my shocks to the outside mount after a few trips in the sand. It made a big difference in handling. It feels more stable and a lot better ride and it raised it up about 1 1/2 inches. :eek:

·
Registered
75 Posts
like the others have said, you can move them to the outside hole and turn the shocks up and put 2" spacers on the front and it is just like having a 2" lift kit. with stock tires with this "home-made" lift GC went from 11" to 13". i went to lowes and bought a 3"x6" galvanized nipple. cut the threads off and then cut to length for the spacers on the struts. this whole lift will cost u about $4 and your time. i done this lift to the 700 sportsman i had and to my ranger. it is the cheapest mod by far.

·
Registered
317 Posts
vanillagorilla said:
i went to lowes and bought a 3"x6" galvanized nipple. cut the threads off and then cut to length for the spacers on the struts. this whole lift will cost u about $4 and your time.
Can you show me some pictures of what you did ?

did your spacer go on top of the strut or on bottom of the strut and spring ?

I have seen some front "lift kits" that are basically a "coupling" on top of the strut. I thought to myself Heck I can make that for a few bucks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Back to the main subject. I went to the Polaris dealership today and the intake hose clamp was loose letting water funnel into the clutch housing. There was about a half of a cup of water inside. The dealer called Polaris while I was there and they were aware that this was a problem. They got it all dried out and its like new once again. ONE FINE MACHINE. ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
hey Vanilla,

So is what you made basically the same thing we find in most of the lift kits? It looks about the same and seems a whole lot cheaper. Also on the rear lift kits, would using an actual lift kit versus just moving the shock mounts and cranking the shocks up give you a better ride. I jack my springs up today and moved the mounts to the out holes, and it is quite a bit stiffer?

·
Registered
75 Posts
yeah it is basically the same thing. u can cut the spacers to any length u want. i cut mine 1.5". and moving the shocks to the outside hole and adjusting the tension does make it a stiffer ride but something has to be sacrifice something for clearance or big tires ;). and also it is 2" pipe not 3", sorry bout that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts