Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all -

I plow a loooong road of rough gravel with protruding lava, so I can't put the blade down flat against the ground (or even close). Getting the snow 3-4" deep is the goal. That means that when the blade is angled to push the snow off to the side, it's really high on one side (see the photo). I can see at a glance that the Polaris snowplow kit does not offer any adjustment for this, so I wondered if anyone has any clever ideas. Thanks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My Moto Alliance is more level when lowered, but less when lifted. What about angling it less?

What about bolting a thick rubber mat to the bottom, it will fold under on the low side and be straight on the high side.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just want to update everyone on what I did -- an amazing solution! I've read on snowplowing forums that a lot of people fit a PVC pipe on the bottom of the blade for plowing over gravel and other rough surfaces. Cut it to the same length as the blade, slice it open along one side, and fit it over the edge of the blade. The results are amazing. I can jam the blade all the way down to the ground, just like I'd do on pavement, and that rounded edge glides over all the bumps. Plowing is much less work because there are no constant adjustments to blade height to clear rocks, and the results are by far the best ever.

I first tried a 3" PVC with thin walls. Easy to cut & fit and worked well, but shattered after about 10 minutes. So I switched to much thicker walled 2" ABS. It was very hard to get on, but it's infinitely more durable, been running it 3 days over rough lava and gravel. Works a charm.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts & suggestions. Happy plowing!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just want to update everyone on what I did -- an amazing solution! I've read on snowplowing forums that a lot of people fit a PVC pipe on the bottom of the blade for plowing over gravel and other rough surfaces. Cut it to the same length as the blade, slice it open along one side, and fit it over the edge of the blade. The results are amazing. I can jam the blade all the way down to the ground, just like I'd do on pavement, and that rounded edge glides over all the bumps. Plowing is much less work because there are no constant adjustments to blade height to clear rocks, and the results are by far the best ever.

I first tried a 3" PVC with thin walls. Easy to cut & fit and worked well, but shattered after about 10 minutes. So I switched to much thicker walled 2" ABS. It was very hard to get on, but it's infinitely more durable, been running it 3 days over rough lava and gravel. Works a charm.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts & suggestions. Happy plowing!
Great solution! Would love to see a pic! Nothing holding it on? No bolts?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, Brian:
Seems like a great idea! Am I presuming correctly that you used 2“ SOLID-CORE ABS? Can only find cell/foam-core ABS at Home Depot and Lowes. Thanks! Richard

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi, Brian:
Seems like a great idea! Am I presuming correctly that you used 2“ SOLID-CORE ABS? Can only find cell/foam-core ABS at Home Depot and Lowes. Thanks! Richard
I'm afraid I don't know. Just grabbed the sturdiest 2-incher the hardware store had.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I saw this and couldn't resist giving it a shot. I have a cobblestone/paver driveway, and have had issues with the blade catching an uneven paver and ripping it out. Not good.

Similar to the above comment, my local building supply stores only had foam-core ABS, and the guys there all told me it wouldn't hold up. I was advised to purchase the white solid-core PVC, or better-yet move up to schedule-80 gray electrical conduit (which is much tougher). I decided to try the white PVC first, since I was concerned about how rigid the electrical conduit would be (and thus the difficulty of installing it). I pounded-on the white PVC, and it's working like a charm so far. If it ever does break, I might move-up to the schedule-80, if I can install it. Very pleased.... thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts