Polaris Ranger Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All Ev ranger Enthusiast. I just thought others might be a little interested in my solar conversion. I purchase my Ranger in Mar of 2021 an completed the solar conversion in late august 2021 (Spring in Australia).

Prior to the upgrade I would use and operate machine daily ranging from 4km to 18km. An would usualy charge at least every second day more often than not daily.

Since upgrade usage is similar possible a little more. I have only had the need to charge the vehicle only four times from the mains since the solar install. On all but one of these occasions it was largely due to distance travelled. One day was in excess of 80km with a midway through day charge. 25/08/2021 through to 10/04/2022. I have charged three times since 10/04/2022 just due to usage requirements an lack of sun on couple of days when I needed polly (polairs).

If you interested in this set up please feel free to ask more about particulars as it took me quite some time to locate all components so they fit the dimension of the vehicle. Not at all hard just time consuming.

To quote some stats, on a reasonable sunny day. I get about 2 to 3kwh of energy back into the battery. Or 20/25% of battery capacity. Assuming I park in the sun. The system max's out at about 500 to 600watts with sun directly overhead at mid day an reduces accordingly in evening/mornings. It has produce 708watts on one occasion which was interesting as it was whilst in motion on a really crisp clear spring day. An the system is only capable of 700watts. I can only assume it was due to the flowing air cooling the system.

One significant thing that I would share, which I didn't expect. Battery maintenance has been dramatically reduced. I guess if you think about it it dose make sense. Less charge current less acid boil. Battery terminal maintinance is sugnificantly reduced. As soon as you charge from the mains again, maintenance increases, even dust buildup on the top of the batterys I guess due to moisture from boiling.

I have enclosed a few photos for people hope it helps with other considering this. I would like to finish with a question can other share how many hrs they get out of there lead acid battery's please. Its the only major thing about the whole vehicle that I find really frustrating. How a company can produce a post 2020 EV with lead acid still astounds me. There are of course small other things but on a whole reasonable happy.

Colorfulness Product Azure Rectangle Font

Font Aqua Screenshot Electric blue Technology

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Light Vehicle
Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Tire Wheel

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All Ev ranger Enthusiast. I just thought others might be a little interested in my solar conversion. I purchase my Ranger in Mar of 2021 an completed the solar conversion in late august 2021 (Spring in Australia).

Prior to the upgrade I would use and operate machine daily ranging from 4km to 18km. An would usualy charge at least every second day more often than not daily.

Since upgrade usage is similar possible a little more. I have only had the need to charge the vehicle only four times from the mains since the solar install. On all but one of these occasions it was largely due to distance travelled. One day was in excess of 80km with a midway through day charge. 25/08/2021 through to 10/04/2022. I have charged three times since 10/04/2022 just due to usage requirements an lack of sun on couple of days when I needed polly (polairs).

If you interested in this set up please feel free to ask more about particulars as it took me quite some time to locate all components so they fit the dimension of the vehicle. Not at all hard just time consuming.

To quote some stats, on a reasonable sunny day. I get about 2 to 3kwh of energy back into the battery. Or 20/25% of battery capacity. Assuming I park in the sun. The system max's out at about 500 to 600watts with sun directly overhead at mid day an reduces accordingly in evening/mornings. It has produce 708watts on one occasion which was interesting as it was whilst in motion on a really crisp clear spring day. An the system is only capable of 700watts. I can only assume it was due to the flowing air cooling the system.

One significant thing that I would share, which I didn't expect. Battery maintenance has been dramatically reduced. I guess if you think about it it dose make sense. Less charge current less acid boil. Battery terminal maintinance is sugnificantly reduced. As soon as you charge from the mains again, maintenance increases, even dust buildup on the top of the batterys I guess due to moisture from boiling.

I have enclosed a few photos for people hope it helps with other considering this. I would like to finish with a question can other share how many hrs they get out of there lead acid battery's please. Its the only major thing about the whole vehicle that I find really frustrating. How a company can produce a post 2020 EV with lead acid still astounds me. There are of course small other things but on a whole reasonable happy.

View attachment 28037
View attachment 28038
View attachment 28039 View attachment 28040
Nice job Jonosh, I'm looking to go electric for my next Ranger and I'm thinking about a solar and wind powered charging point up at my cabin. Nice to see that I'm not the zero-emissions head on here..x

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice job Jonosh, I'm looking to go electric for my next Ranger and I'm thinking about a solar and wind powered charging point up at my cabin. Nice to see that I'm not the zero-emissions head on here..x
Good luck with acquiring a EV. If you have dependable sun would highly recommend solar. I have been down the path of wind an although it certainly has a place if you have adequate sun solar just requires almost not ongoing maintenance. Were wind always needs something. We however are very fortunate in Western Australia an always have some sun.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How long is the recharging time?
That's some real progress for sure, but there's still a long way to go yet.
Anyway I'm impressed with the blueprint.😄
The solar recharges about 2.5 to 2.8kw/hrs per day on a sunny day. So if its down to 85% about 3 to 4hrs. If its down to %50 about 1.6days of sun shine. The most I've recharged from the sun is from %30 which took a little less than 2days. This doesn't quite add up. I know the battery is 12kw/hrs total so from 30% to 100% should take 8.4kw/hrs. The only explanation I have is the meter in the vehicle is not that accurate. Hope that helps. What do you mean by "A long way to go"?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Seriously cool addition!

My EV is for doing farm chores, she's a glorified wheelbarrow, so I use about 30 to 40% of the power...a week.

The one time I did run down the road, I was surprised at how fast it drained the charge!

Thanks for sharing those pictures.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Very cool! Well done!

Are you generating AC and using the onboard charger or bypassing it and charging the batteries directly?

I don't use mine a lot, but I am disappointed with the range (going up and down hills). I had contemplated making a trailer with solar panels (and even one or more Lithium-ion batteries so I could confidently explore further afield.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts