Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gawd, I could not get into this forum for ever. Finally I am in. Not sure why but every time I tried to do a password reset it would just kick me out again... Grrrr.

I have 2011 500 EFI with 700+ hours on it. Generally it has been a champ. I live in a remote area and knew nothing about clutches, other than how to replace the belt and general clean up. So finally got around to pulling out the primary and secondary in order to drop it at the nearest Polaris Dealer (six hours away). I got the Ranger with 100 hours on it, so really had nothing to compare it to. It has always clunked when stepping on the gas, and I learned to be fairly intuitive with it to prevent the clunking.

Fwiw, the old primary took me a day to get out. I ended up having to use a heat gun on the inner sheave shaft as the basket released from the inner when I was using the clutch puller. She was on there good and I was trying to be gentle on her... The belt still looked like new and it was surprisingly clean inside the cover. So I thought I was in pretty good shape and was hoping for a few parts to be installed in the existing primary and secondary and then back home off-grid where I would re-install.

Not so fast... The secondary helix was very worn, and the carrier had also taken a beating. I am sure if I had known to pull these clutches earlier that the pads could have been replaced relatively inexpensively. Anyway, I had to order a new secondary from Polaris, which was $600 Cdn.

When the tech told me about the secondary, I told him to stop and not rebuild or check the primary. Instead I ordered a new CVTech primary which was $450. CVTech is a Canadian company and I had seen good things about their clutches. I may have the stock primary rebuilt at some point but figured that at $105/hr shop rate, that the chances of rebuilding the primary (which I would have to think was more worn than the secondary) for anything reasonable was not going to happen.

So a few days later I had a new Polaris secondary and a CVTech primary in hand.

Got them installed and I have to say that this CVTech primary is super smooth. I don’t have any transition clunking, noise, etc. Very impressed so far.

So moral of the story is keep up on your maintenance. I think the manual says 200-300 hours for clutches. Please, if you don’t know or have the tools to take them apart and check or install new wear items, pull them and take them to a Polaris or private shop to have them checked. This was an expensive lesson.

I am really anal about engine oil / filter, trans fluid, diff fluid, air cleaner, spark plug, lubing etc (every 50 hours or less).

I just went through the 500EFI top to bottom and caught a few more things. The wheel bearings were pretty dry, the tie rod boots had worn through from tires rubbing, etc.

I also installed a new fuel pump and regulator from ‘Fuel Pump Factory,’ as I figured that would be the next thing to go.

Anyway, happy riding.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Welcome and I’m glad your back on the road again. I’ve neglected my clutches on my machines before too. When they start to do something that they haven’t done before it’s best to just tear them apart and not just keep riding. I’m sure we are all guilty of neglect!! Haha anyway have fun.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts