Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed the last several rides on my 2012 6 x 6 that when the engine is hot and I shut it down for a few minutes, it is hard to start again. The conditions are: operating in warm dry weather; plenty of gas in tank; engine is within normal operating temperatures; and when I start it up it sounds like it is running on one cylinder and runs rough. A little pumping of the throttle pedal and it eventually comes back to life.

Anyone with similar problems? Could it be an injector prblem? Does anyone use injector clenaer..does it help?

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
With the high heat they generate, it could be vapor lock (fuel in the lines become so hot that it turns to vapor instead of liquid, and thus can't flow to the engine).

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
But I do use B12 Chemtool fuel additive in all my machines. I use it to clean carbs by applying it directly, and I use it in the gas tanks. My truck was acting up today (6.0 liter V8), I gave it a bottle of B12 and could immediately tell the difference. It ran smoother with more power and faster response.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Where do you acquire this B-12?...and will it void my warranty..I wonder?
I usually get mine at Wal-Mart for $3.17 per can, but it should be in auto parts stores also. It will be with the fuel additives.

I don't see how it could possibly void your warranty, but I'm not a warranty expert by any means.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Starting problems

I took the wife and friends daughter for a ride on my 2012 Ranger xp 800 and it did the same, Shut the machine off for a few minutes and had a real hard time to get it running. I could smell gas and assumed the gas was starting to boil and vaporize. Finally got it running but took a while. Little dissapointed but it was real hot today.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hard Start

Assuming the theory about vapor lock is correct, I have insultaed the injector line from the gas tank across to the engine with a reflective / insulating tape. Will see if this helps with the hard start and rough idle when hot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts