Polaris Ranger Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently received my EV and am making preparations to store it on my remote property. My plan is to use a 20' shipping container with two whirlybirds and lots of vents.

If I do not insulate the container it is bound to get very hot in our hot Australian summer. Will this be a problem for the EV's batteries?

I can buy an insulated container (I have been quoted US$5000 just for the installation of the insulation!), or I can add insulation myself.

Does anyone have any advice/experience?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
How long will it be left closed up in the container? Will you be able to keep it plugged into a power source to keep it charged. I think u will have many corrosion problems from the batteries constantly venting. Maybe electric is not the best choice for storage

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your help. It may be sitting there for a month or more between visits. I am looking at solar powered vents which should reduce the temperature and circulate/refresh the air. I am not sure if I will leave it on charge as I am unsure how quickly it discharges.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good question! I have the original lead acid batteries. I have now sourced a solar powered fan that sits on the roof and provides 10X the airflow of a whirlybird (40W version) so that should help cool the container and refresh the air.

·
Registered
287 Posts
From what I read ... 25C or higher temp gets you degradation at a higher than normal rate. The higher the temperature, the faster the degradation is what I read. I'm not well read enough to give advice. I do have a story about a commercial UPS (un-interruptible Power Supply) that was in an electrical machine room that lost air conditioning ... after just under a week at 40C ambient the batteries dropped from running a 1 kVA for 8 hours to running that same load for 20 minutes .. after the air conditioner was fixed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Perhaps if you put that exhaust fan on the roof and a vent in the floor where it's cool, and park right on top of that, or even duct it right into the battery compartment. Where's your bit of bush?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's a good idea! If I even just drilled lots of holes through the floor and container bottom the air will be cool under there. One side of the container will often be shaded by another building so I will draw air from that side too. I think I will also look for some higher-power fans to get some good flow going (with remote control so I don't have to listen to them when I am there).

We have a place in a remote area called Corrowong in New South Wales. It is surrounded on three sides by the Kosciuszko National Park so there is lots of wildlife - plus there are 4WD tracks that go into the bush. It is a great part of the world!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Excellent. Paint it white, do some spray foam insulation on the cheap. I'm in California and also have a brand new EV which is mainly a tractor for me - doing native plant restoration on a few acres. Days have been 100F, dragging a chain harrow, EV doesn't seem to mind.

Lucky you! I've been through Jindabyne and Thredbo, not too far off. Ancestral home in Nowra.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's a small world! In fact, the funny thing is that where we are building on our property we call "Big Sky Hill" and as the crow flys we are not that far from Jindabyne but the Snowy River is between us. We can see Mount Kosciuszko from our place. Nowra is sure in a beautiful part of the world, but I have not spent any time there...

How does the battery last when you drag a chain harrow? I have been a little disappointed with the battery life, although they say it gets better with time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Small indeed! Sky Hill is the name of our plot!

I have nothing to compare to regarding battery life really. I get tired before the machine does. All day working uses about 50%, but I admit to spending a fair amount of time watching plants grow, birds eating bugs and tarantulas looking for love.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I hope the tarantulas aren't eying you off! Sounds like a good way to spend your time!

Regarding the batteries, I was not sure what to expect, but I have just been surprised by how quickly the percentage drops as I ride around.

·
Registered
1 Posts
All you guys with containers. This is a must. My 40ft container stays within a few degrees of outside temp with no moisture inside at all in central texas. Nothing compares.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you - it looks quite amazing! Would you say you have a consistent wind direction? It seems to rely on the wind to achieve the cooling effect. And what happens on calm days, does it get hot?

Thanks again.

(It amazes me sometimes that products like these exist. I have searched so many times for ways to keep the container cool but have never come across this product.)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts