Polaris Ranger Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My winch has the synthetic cable that came on the Polaris winch. Every time I use it the cable gets stuck between wraps. Is there a different synthetic cable or can I replace it with a steel cable.
I hope this makes sense.
Thanks Gary

·
Super Moderator
2,478 Posts
Steel will do the same thing if the cable isn't spooled on the drum tight.
You need to pull the rope off the winch to the bottom layer and either have a big strong guy hold tension as it is wrapped or get on an uphill grade and hook to something and winch your Ranger up the grade. Try to keep the rope tight and even and don't leave any gaps if possible.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Steel will do the same thing if the cable isn't spooled on the drum tight.
You need to pull the rope off the winch to the bottom layer and either have a big strong guy hold tension as it is wrapped or get on an uphill grade and hook to something and winch your Ranger up the grade. Try to keep the rope tight and even and don't leave any gaps if possible.
It appears that the rope has stretch it smaller in diameter in some spots. Is this norma?

·
Registered
26 Posts
It appears that the rope has stretch it smaller in diameter in some spots. Is this normal?
I think what you are seeing is an optical illusion, The drum line should be the same diameter the full length. As it stretches under load, it will shrink although it would (should) be even across the whole length. Interesting nugget, a 1-1/4 haul back (steel) will shrink an 1/8 of an inch in diameter under load. That was measred at the drum with 2800 feet out. Surprised me. It was part of a safety meeting about dangers of worn line breakage.
Drumlines of under 100 feet are always tricky to spool evenly. As Rockit401 says, it is best to spool the line on by tying it off to a stump or something and then start to spool it back on under load. You can expect to need to do this often sometimes each time you use your winch. Steel as Rockit401 indicated will be just as bad and in my opinion worse.
For a few beers, and a 5 gallon bucket to sit on, I could tell you a horror story of a 2" skyline we had to strip off because of a bad overlay. we ended up losing two days of logging and 300 feet of line for the splice we had to make to fit it back together after we finally took a torch to it.

·
Super Moderator
1,930 Posts
It appears that the rope has stretch it smaller in diameter in some spots. Is this norma?
Follow the instructions that Rockit401 said. This is a common problem when not spooling on tight. You will not like steel cable as much as synthetic rope. Plus the Synthetic rope is far stronger.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts