Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is everyone's thoughts on a synthetic rope vs cable on your winch? I have a polaris 4500 pound winch and when I bought my 2013 crew last week it was supposed to have rope but had cable. When I asked about it I was told they didn't make a 4500# rope only a 3500. I saw today on polaris accessory catalog they do make one I think the dealer just forgot to switch it out and wanted to cover there butts. I'm wondering what everyone prefers and why? If synthetic is better I will make a stink about it and get them to give me what I ordered. If the cable is fine I will leave it. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
194 Posts
The strength doesn't really matter, it's whatever they are rated for. I have a 5000 lb synthetic winch. I think the biggest benefit with the synthetic is that it spools back up easier and won't bind because it is more flexible. Either one is fine for use when towing/winching. Other people like it because you can match the cable to the color of your machine. I really don't care, but some people think that is important.

But if you wanted synthetic, I'd make sure they give it to you. They just fed you a line because they didn't want to hassle.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I like the synthetic because it weighs less, easier on your hands and if it does break it falls down unlike a cable that could rebound and hurt someone or damage your vehicle. It also cost more, if they promised it to you I would expect to get it

·
Registered
10 Posts
What is everyone's thoughts on a synthetic rope vs cable on your winch? I have a polaris 4500 pound winch and when I bought my 2013 crew last week it was supposed to have rope but had cable. When I asked about it I was told they didn't make a 4500# rope only a 3500. I saw today on polaris accessory catalog they do make one I think the dealer just forgot to switch it out and wanted to cover there butts. I'm wondering what everyone prefers and why? If synthetic is better I will make a stink about it and get them to give me what I ordered. If the cable is fine I will leave it. Thank you in advance.
I don't know if the polaris branded 4500 kit comes available with rope. However, you can easily find synthetic rope that is rated for 4500# or more, they have synthetic ropes for Jeeps. If they promised you synthetic rope, I would ask for what they promised. I think synthetic rope is safer (if the line breaks and you are hit with the rope, it bounces off of you, if a wire rope breaks, you can loose a limb). I personally got it as part of my aftermarket non polaris branded package I got and installed myself. However, wire rope has been around a long time, and does a great job.

If you have to pay out of pocket for the upgrade, I would consider the upgrade costs such as new rope, and new fairlead. Also think about how many times you are going to get stuck in a crew. I don't know about how hard core you are going to ride that thing, but it is pretty big, and if I had one, I wouldn't ride it as hard or through the stuff that I would ride my midsize ranger 500 efi.

Good luck.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Synthetic rope has a lot of qualities I really like. Ease of use is the main reason.
I believe the price is worth the upgrade.

I don't like getting stuck with a broken wire off the cable. Plus the dangers that you have with the use of it.

The post above is a really good one by Cosmokramer

1 - 5 of 5 Posts