Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Needed a piece of equipment for some "farm" work and thought the XP would double as a toy ! I am new to this "sport" but have had bikes for years. Of Course I am looking for places to ride, and want to add a few things to the XP. Are the winches on Ebay like the 3000 or 3500 worth the money?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Welcome, I have not ridden down in Florida, but have been there a couple of time to visit my folks who live in Leesburg. Dad says (if he knows what he is talking about) alot of people ride in the Ocala National Forest. Would require you to trailer it, but you could make a weekend trip out of it.

My father bought one of the Venom 3000# from ebay, and it seems to work fine. I did notice the wiring is not as heavy as what you will find on the Warn, but so far it is holding up.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Someone did mention Ocala to me yesterday and I am up for that.

Looking at some of the wenches on ebay-did I see it correct, some of those draw 180 amps?

Any recommendations for a roof?

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Hey [quote author=Lynerd link=topic=180.msg768#msg768 date=1199215636]
Someone did mention Ocala to me yesterday and I am up for that.

Looking at some of the wenches on ebay-did I see it correct, some of those draw 180 amps?

Any recommendations for a roof?
[/quote]

I am working on a winch sponsor as we speak. Don't want to mention any names yet. So check back often.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Welcome, Lynerd! I live on the east coast and just recently bought property at River Ranch. I don't know if you have heard of it, but basically, if you own a piece of property, you have access to 70 acres of riding. I just got back today from 5 days out there and had a blast. It is located in Lake Wales, just off of route 60. I have also ridden in Ocala, but it is very strict with only being able to ride on specific trails, and was very busy. The whoops were also ungodly rough because of all the traffic. Just my .02 :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can you tell me more about River Ranch. I heard someone talking about this recently. As I recall they bought a very small piece of ground, just enough to make you an owner. This may be a better option than going to Ocala.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Yes, you purchase an acre and a quarter which is located "somewhere" out in the 70 square miles. Then you join the property owners association and you are issued a campsite (100'x100') in the 5 square mile designated camping area where you can set up camp. Or, if you prefer, you can go to the temporary camping area and stay there for the weekend. The benefit to having your own place is you can do things like put in a well, build a pavillion area, etc. You can do a search on ebay and see tons of information about the property. We bought ours directly through M & J Lands, who is also the one advertising on Ebay. This should be enough to get you started, but if you have any questions, just ask!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am talking with a friend of mine about going out to River Ranch this Sunday. Like you he owns a piece of the pie. I will see if my trailer is ready to go.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Welcome and enjoy.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Lynerd,
Did you make it to RR? If so, what did you think?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We made it to River Ranch on Sunday. Got a late start, but still got in about a half of day. The place for riding is what you might say...."awesome". I guess we rode twenty miles in and could of gone more.

I still am not sure of just how much land there is to ride on. It seems like a whole lot. One of the things I liked was the variety of trails. There is heavy sugar sand, hard grass, wooded trail , open field , a few wet spots and more.

It would be interesting to see the place in the summer with the afternoon rains.

My friends like to shoot , so that is another aspect of the place.

I can see where it might be worth the money just to have a place to ride. What is your take on it? :-\

·
Registered
345 Posts
Oh, I definitely agree. The first time I went out there, we set out to find the "swimming hole" on the map. We rode 43 miles and never found it! I now have GPS #'s for all the common locations, so no sweat. The water in the summer is DEEP in some spots, but does knock the dust down somewhat. Glad you got to take a look. Maybe we will hook up out there sometime! Take care!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts