Polaris Ranger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Outside thermometer on 21 Ultimate reads 10 to 30 degrees warmer that actual temp. Dealer said “that’s how they work and no fix because the sensor is under the hood near the radiator. BS to have it if it doesn’t work. Will be starting a case with Minnesota Polaris Techs tomorrow.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just got off the phone with a really great guy at ”Polaris Minneapolis“ He said pretty much what the dealer said. No fix known for the problem because the sensor is under the hood. I have not found the sensor despite someone on this forum posting a picture of his. Not the same machine because mine does not look like his under the hood. If anyone reading this can post a pic of the sensor, I would really appreciate it. I will relocate myself to see if there is a better place for it. Do you know where the sensor is?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it does work,

Some of those sensors are marked with their specified temp of operation, but when tested they open/close 10-30 degrees sooner or later.

Your radiator fan will do its job to cool the coolant. If you want to radiator fan to come on sooner, install an aftermarket manual switch.
Not sure I understand the “temp of operation” you mentioned. Are you referring to the coolant temp? I am talking about the outside temperature gauge that is in the Ride Command Center on the 2021 Ultimate. It is like the outside temp gauge on all cars and trucks these days.

·
Registered
2020 Ranger XP1000 Northstar Ultimate Crew
30 Posts
Cabin, please post some pics of the underhood area on your machine.

Valley, the temp discussed here is the outside temp which is displayed on the Ride Command screen. It sounds like you may be referring to the engine coolant temp sensor.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Outside thermometer on 21 Ultimate reads 10 to 30 degrees warmer that actual temp. Dealer said “that’s how they work and no fix because the sensor is under the hood near the radiator. BS to have it if it doesn’t work. Will be starting a case with Minnesota Polaris Techs tomorrow.
Can you please post some pics? This could probably offer a better look to the problem in question.

·
Registered
2021 Polaris Ranger 1000 XP Northstar Premium - Pursuit Camo
32 Posts
Just got off the phone with a really great guy at ”Polaris Minneapolis“ He said pretty much what the dealer said. No fix known for the problem because the sensor is under the hood. I have not found the sensor despite someone on this forum posting a picture of his. Not the same machine because mine does not look like his under the hood. If anyone reading this can post a pic of the sensor, I would really appreciate it. I will relocate myself to see if there is a better place for it. Do you know where the sensor is?
I have a post here about the ambient sensor, with photos Help installing ambient temperature sensor

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the same problem with my '20 northstar , But it seems on a long ride where I keep moving the temp is closed to being correct .

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the same problem with my '20 northstar , But it seems on a long ride where I keep moving the temp is closed to being correct .
'20 northstar
Same problem here with our '2a northstar XP1000 Ultimate. Shows about 15-20 degrees warmer than reality. Keep us posted if you find a fix.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I moved the sensor on mine today. It is now attached to the frame outside of the place it was that was near the radiator. I took a thermometer with me on a ride to compare temperatures. The Ranger temperature on the Ride Command Screen was one degree higher than the one I took along. I compared 4 or 5 times. Need more time to compare the two but I think I may have cured the problem. Mine read as much as 20 degrees different before I moved it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I moved the sensor on mine today. It is now attached to the frame outside of the place it was that was near the radiator. I took a thermometer with me on a ride to compare temperatures. The Ranger temperature on the Ride Command Screen was one degree higher than the one I took along. I compared 4 or 5 times. Need more time to compare the two but I think I may have cured the problem. Mine read as much as 20 degrees different before I moved it.
Where did you move your sensor too? I would love to fix my outside temp sensor

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I found out the sun can hit it directly and influence the temperature so now I have to put a shied of some kind to prevent them. I am thinking a thin flat piece of white rigid plastic will work. Have to wait until I find a piece when I get home in a week or so. I should mention I had to cut a factory wire clip in order to get enough wire to get through the grill. I may have to move the sensor a time or two to get it right. Maybe even try to get it under the frame channel.?? Good luck. I am open to suggestions if someone has a better solution.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts