Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious..how does everybody tie their rig down when the trailer it very far????

I have 2 brackets bolted to the floor of my trailer...(rig is backed on) and I run a short chain from that bracket, to the safety chain holes (by the rig's receiver hitch)...1 on each side, and bind it down with a cahin binder.........then on the back of the trailer (front of rig), I run a chain from the stke pocket on each side, thru the hook on my winch line, and then bind it down.............

on the front, my binder has a loop, and I loop the chain over the handle and padlock it, on the rear I do the same.........

What about Security ???

My trailer has a front(side ramp) and rear ramp......I made some short cables from 14" nylon coated aircraft cable, which is fixed around the trlr, and goes thru the expanded metal on the ramps and padlocked..........then I have 2 other larger pieces of ac cable which I run around the trlr rail, and then thru the frame area of the rig and padlock it!!!

It won't stop a thief.......but it'll dang sure slow em down!!!!!!!!!

several years ago, some of our local forresters were out of town, cruising some timber.they had their wheelers in the back of their pick-ups, and had them secured with Louisiana Guard Dog rigs.came out of the Motel one morning, and both wheelers were gone!!!!! Seems the theives had a cutting torch :tickedoff: :tickedoff:

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Great ideas for tie downs while trailering!

Here is my on trailer security! I have two and a thief will need a torch to get thru these.

They are titanium inside with SS braided sheath covered by a clear nylon coating.

I watched a guy at the Indy ATV show a few years back wear himself out with a sledge hammer and fire ax and he never did get thru them.

Gary

·
Registered
181 Posts
I use two heavy ratchet straps to tie down and if I am going 3 or 4 hours maybe a 3rd strap. I use a half inch braided cable and coated lock and usually park where I can see my trailer and have a clear Shot at it!!!! in case someone is messing with it!! :knuppel2: O0

Mark

·
Registered
269 Posts
I, using the 5 ton D rings for my tie downs, I have 7 of them but I have decided I need 4 more of them. As security all I have now is a battery cut off switch.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
jackh said:
what is that thing?
It's a heavy duty cable lock designed for ATVs. I run it thru the frame of the RZR and then thru the wheels & trailer frame. A thief will need a cutting torch or grinder with cut off wheel to get it off.

Gary

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
GRAZOR said:
jackh said:
what is that thing?
It's a heavy duty cable lock designed for ATVs. I run it thru the frame of the RZR and then thru the wheels & trailer frame. A thief will need a cutting torch or grinder with cut off wheel to get it off.

Gary
Either that or some c4 ;D ;D

·
Registered
507 Posts
Security? You guys live in the wrong part of the country. I never even pull the keys on my vehicles, and never even lock my house unless I leave for the weekend. When we are on our ATV trips, the quads just sit outside next to the trailer.

As for tying down, I use the 1" heavy duty ratchet straps. 4 per machine.

·
Registered
167 Posts
one time i saw a guy trailering a brand new ranger from the store. he had a big ratchet strap going from one side of the trailer over the floor in the ranger and then to the other side of the trailer. is this enough to keep the thing still?

·
Registered
167 Posts
what is that? ive never seen one of those

[quote author=GPER link=topic=567.msg3657#msg3657 date=1204540259]
Just a thought, but couldn't they just unbolt the wheel?????
[/quote]

seems like it

1 - 13 of 13 Posts