Polaris Ranger Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the (I'm sure this is the wrong terminology) tilt specifications for my 2022 Ranger 1000?

Spaz had a great idea in a different post: Ideas for center dash, Ranger 1000

...that inspired this idea....kudos Spaz.

I live in a very hilly area. I was thinking of building an inclinometer for my Ranger....ie something like this:
Gauge Home appliance Measuring instrument Output device Gadget

We have guests at the farm that are not experienced riders. I was thinking of labeling a yellow caution (ie ur getting close to rollover) and a red (rollover imminent) to aid the driver, to avoid disaster.

I am less concerned with Pitch and Yaw, but would like to know the Roll-axis specification.

I remember in school they place vehicles on a tilt platform, simulate typical load and see what it takes for the wheels to leave the ground. I would derate that number a little bit and indicate as a warning on my inclinometer.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
233 Posts
There is no real "line in the sand" due to the modularity and popularity of aftermarket accessories. Larger tires, suspension settings, payload, spare tire/fuel, etc. too many variables to account for. Best way I've found is if ou have a friend or neighbor with a machine and a winch, hook onto the grab bar and pull it from the opposite side. So if tilting to passenger side grab the top driver side and pull across to the passenger side. Once you start lifting it up on 2 wheels, go slow, and find your comfort level to the roll over point. You can always use another vehicle or tree with a safety line, or similar, or more people and adjust to keep everything to your particular comfort level. After you get it to a particular spot, use some lumber or other straight edges and calculate the angles.

·
Registered
48 Posts
There is a sticker on Rangers when you buy them new with the factory approved angles. I don't remember what mine was. Stop by your dealer and copy it down. Would be a great thing for guests.

·
Super Moderator
2,546 Posts
There should have been a green tag that came with your Ranger with that specification.
But sometimes they get removed before delivery.
My 2017 900XP is 38 degrees plus without doors or top.
Yours is probably close to the same.
Like CrazyElecE said any added accessories or mods changes it up.
Honestly, 'most' people chicken out before they reach the tip over point but it only takes one to ruin your day.

·
Registered
20 Posts
As a reference 34.7 degrees is equal to about a 7/12 roof which most would not readily walk!(think Cape Cod or steep colonial roof). Reliance on meters such as these is helpful but a small divot/pothole in slope can change effective angle and catapult you into a rollover in a heartbeat.

Good rule of thumb is to traverse hills as close as possible up/down slope!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all. I did some research, details below...if interested.

BigDaddyKong and Rockit401 this is a bit embarrassing, but after your post I opened my Glove Compartment and sure enough the tag was tucked inside the manual. I obviously never read the manual LOL. I also found a DVD - no clue what's on it....nor do I own a DVD player.

Bmope thanks, pic of mine is below. I had it the entire time and didn't realize.

So the official answer is 36.9 degrees for my 2022 Ranger 1000 Premium, loaded to 430 pounds, exclusive of speed.
Gesture Font Finger Thumb Nail

I don't have the money to do a bunch of mods to my Ranger, but CrazyElecE brings up a good point that number will change by altering the Center of Mass, etc...great point.

Then Bmope likewise brings up a good point regarding a pothole/slope change - we all know from Science class Force = Mass * Acceleration (not plus, but times)....so speed is a *huge complicating factor.

Regarding the following, I do not know what I'm talking about...just some internet research:

There is a standard for testing, seems much of it is voluntary with a few expections:

Then the actual tag specs are as follows: https://www.atv.com/blog/wp-content...pretation-from-ANSI_ROHVA-1-2016-Standard.pdf

...dunno if any of that is valuable, but I learned a great deal.

Thanks again, you all are very helpful.

·
Registered
11 Posts
This gauge is called an artificial horizon as used in an airplane to stay level. Just saw one on ebay for $ 34.95. Good idea to use one.

Trintec 6" Classic Artificial Horizon Instrument Style 9063

·
Registered
2021 1000 XP
13 Posts
My 2021 XP1000 came with the sticker saying 38 degrees max. I think that's a good idea to put an inclinometer on, but an even better idea would be a sign saying "No Noobs". Too many possibilities for trouble if you're not flat and level. I'm willing to take the risk with my machine and experience level, and there are only certain folks I know and trust with common sense and experience. Good luck and stay safe!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Interesting how different the tested angles on xp1000… low 34.7 to high of 38 depending on model… added cab weight dropped stability 3 degrees…. Obviously all the weight and where it is on vehicle make a big difference. I envision that weight distribution side to side would also play a lesser but still important role!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bmope I concur, those numbers do vary wider than I anticipated, but I am no expert.

Murph55 while the concept of a "No Noobs" sign is hilarious, I suspect few people would admit to being a Noob. And truth be told, I only have about (guessing) 30 hours of SxS experience myself...so I would lock myself out of my own SxS LOL.

Rangerlee holy crap that is a great idea. I recently added an LCD screen on my Ranger, to support a backup camera. I am now rethinking that I add a digital version of the Artificial Horizon...so that my LCD screen becomes an Instrument Cluster when my SxS is not in reverse. It would be trivial to add a gyroscope and customize my specific danger thresholds. It will be a learning curve, however, to get the graphics just right. That is such a great idea, I won't be able to sleep tonight thinking about this LOL.
Product Line Font Electronic device Audio equipment

It's amazing how powerful this forum is...I ended up in a totally different place than I set out. Kudos to you all for the ideas, and your kindness to share.

·
Super Moderator
2,546 Posts
There are several mechanical clinometers/inclinometers available for off road vehicles plus some electronic ones and apps for your phone etc.
After you get some experience with your vehicle you won't pay much attention to the gauge. You can tell more about stability with the feel of how it is reacting to the terrain than the gauge will tell you.
But the gauge will be good entertainment for your passengers.

·
Registered
2021 1000 XP
13 Posts
[QUOTE Murph55 while the concept of a "No Noobs" sign is hilarious, I suspect few people would admit to being a Noob. And truth be told, I only have about (guessing) 30 hours of SxS experience myself...so I would lock myself out of my own SxS LOL [/QUOTE]

Yeah, it was kind of a smart aleck answer...but the concept of straight and level unless experienced is still valid, I think. Sort of along the lines of "you break it, you bought it"

1 - 13 of 13 Posts