Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a picture of the kit, and return shipping tube for the steering shaft.

To sum everything up you will have to remove the front dash, but there is a few steps before you remove. Remove your digital display console from the dash this way you can leave all the wires hooked up. Remove the steering wheel cap, and remove the nut. I found that mine was stuck on pretty well and will remove the wheel from the steering shaft later on. So to remove the steering shaft you will have to take the bolt out of the u-joint connector. I found after removing the bolt use a chisel or a long screw driver and place this in the split of the u-joint near the bolt hole. Pry it apart a little and the steering shaft will slide right out.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After removing the steering wheel attached to the steering shaft, tape up the hole area around the steering column. Cut out the template that comes with the kit and trace it onto the tape.

I used a drimmel tool and cut the section out.

Now it is time to remove the dash. Once it is off you will assemble the steering bracket and round tilt connector. In order to install the bracket you have to grind off 2 welds. There is plenty of weld there so don't worry. It looks like the bottom does not have any weld. You are right. It was not welded from the factory. I also painted over it to protect it in the future.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is 3 holes you have to center punch and drill into the stock steering bracket. Here is a picture of it painted before installing the bracket.

This is a picture of the bracket bolted up. If you notice the steering column sticking out. In the instructions it tells you where to mark it to cut. However they did not take into place you using the top bushin. Maybe I like things stupid strong but I cut a little more off of the steering column so I could use the top bushin as well. it is 1/4 more to cut off.

Here is a picture of the new steering shaft in place. Quick side note you have to spread the u-joint coupling apart again to get this to slip in place.

·
Registered
181 Posts
after the install, have yoiu noticed when you get on your Ranger if youi grab the wheel does it seem to put alot of stress on it? Like if you pull on the wheel to get on..

Mark

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not at all, it is very rigid and has no play in it. It is really a well built part. This tilt system actually is used in boats, and the mounting brackets is the only thing that is made along with the u-joint shaft to make this work. It is very simple but yet strong.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well I just got my tilt steering kit. I plan on changing it out tomorrow. I will send pictures and tech suggestions on changing it out. Hope all goes well!!!!!!!!!!

8)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have had mine installed going on 2 months. I am a big man and use the steering
wheel to get in and very sturdy. No problems

1 - 8 of 8 Posts