Polaris Ranger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have used tire chains on atv's for over 25 years when I am going to be traveling in the snow. For my wife's polaris 700 I just bought the chains from Cabelas at $50.00 a set. I put 1 1/2 inch spacers on the front of her atv so I could put chains on all four tires. The tires on her bike is the same as the factory standard RZR tires. On my RZR I have bigger tires so I bought the chains for 27 inch tires. I added about 8 inches of side chains and 1 more cross link chain so they would fit on my tires. You can get the cross link chains from a tire store. With tire chains on you can go just about any where you want as long as the snow is not too deep. I have high centered without chains on, and after I put the chains on I can keep going. I don't know what snow depth is too deep. With chains on it is easy to skid firewood when there is snow on the ground.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I ran chains on my Sportsman 500s for ice fishing and it did make a world of difference. I kept the stock wheels and tires and installed the chains tight with zero air in them. Once installed I added some air and they locked in real nice.

Made for a lousy ride but you sure could go anywhere.

One word of caution though is to keep an eye on the chain wear. I busted a link on one cross chain once and destroyed the fender before I even knew it was loose.

These days I always keep the stock wheels and tires and load the treads up with Kold Kutter Ice screws which work great if you go on frozen lake ice but won't last long if you are on snow covered ground.

Gary

·
Registered
6 Posts
Chains

ELK Hunter:

Thanks alot for your post! :) Got my chains (on rear only) so far. Works great! Here in northern MI I get tons of "lake affect" snow from L. Michigan. Now I am trying to learn to plow w/ my new machine. Any tips would be welcome.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Craig see your post asking about plow ideas for some of my opinions.

ELK Hunter:

Thanks alot for your post! :) Got my chains (on rear only) so far. Works great! Here in northern MI I get tons of "lake affect" snow from L. Michigan. Now I am trying to learn to plow w/ my new machine. Any tips would be welcome.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts